Is there anyone on this board who's actually NOT doing STEM?

Is there anyone on this board who's actually NOT doing STEM?

protip:

everyone on this board is a student because there are no jobs in STEM

I'm an English major. Going to law school after undergrad

protip:

there are no jobs period

Leave

Most people on this board are high schoolers.

This. 90% underage kiddies role-playing as university students.

yes but only for today im just a tourist

I have a B.Sc. in information "science" and a trade degree in welding.
Feel free to call me a brainlet.

Brainlet

wow rude

what is stem

I'm doing accounting. Every business needs an accountant

There isn't some kind of Pre-law major?

prelaw students are retards, the best way to go is phil

I am a Philosophy student.

>be 21
>graduate with honors (applied mathematics topology, cs: information theory)
>decide not to do a post-grad
>cant find work
>life spirals out of control
>be 31
>10 years no employment or friends

how did it all stem so bad?

>Falling for the STEM meme

I've never really understood what an accountant does. Isn't their job an extremely boring amount of paperwork? Why did you find accounting interesting?

I feel like you're leaving something out.

which is basically the same thing as math or physics

>Why did you find accounting interesting?
I don't. It's just a decent catch all for business that isn't a useless business degree. Like I said, every business needs an accountant, whether they employ one or outsource to a firm. If you want to work anywhere it's a decent degree. Definitely not exciting in any way though. It's purely utilitarian

>Definitely not exciting in any way though. It's purely utilitarian
shouldnt you be studying something you find exciting

That's how you end up as a barista user. Work is work. Trying to get a job that you "enjoy" is infantile, just go with what will get you a job then do what you want in your spare time like everyone else does

>Trying to get a job that you "enjoy" is infantile
That's depressing. You should reevaluate your life choices

It's the truth. You're an adult now user. Being a fireman or a policeman isn't fun, even when you get to drive the car with flashing lights. Everyone does what they have to do to survive, the people who actually enjoy what they do are a small minority.

>the people who actually enjoy what they do are a small minority.
maybe that's true, but if that minority still exists, why not try to be one of them?

You are going to be working a huge chunk of your waking hours for the next 50 years or whatever. If I'm going to dread that time, then just kill me now.

Sensible answer. There's a good book by Cal Newport in which he talks about the passion meme. If you want to be happy with your work, get good and work with the kind of people you like. If you look at panels you find that 90% of the people who love their job didn't have a passion or anything when they started

Personally I study Finance because I find it more challenging, but Accounting can be interesting in the fact that after doing a lot of calculations you arrive to the same result (profit or loss) from two independent roads. Of course, this is “interesting” if you're a bit autistic, however almost everyone who excels in their field is a bit eccentric.
What I don't really appreciate of accounting is the law knowledge required for working since different assets are recorded differently in the balance sheet.
In general, as that other user wrote, a lot of people who study accounting that I've met do so because every firm of a certain dimension needs a group of accountants for organizing all the data or is obliged by law to pay an external accounting firm to review the balance sheet. I don't know if things will change soon with technology, but for now it's a degree that allows you to put bread on the table.
If you have more questions about accounting or finance I can try to clear you doubts.

>What I don't really appreciate of accounting is the law knowledge required
Haha tell me about it. Taxation Law is by far they driest subject I've ever studied. Couldn't read the text for more than 30 mins without falling asleep. It's no wonder no-one wants to learn this shit to do their returns themselves.

Int'l Studies

i never actually applied for jobs because i felt too socially awkward after the first interview went badly. sometimes i wake up in cold sweat at like 4am and it plays back in my mind like some recurring nightmare.

holy shit. get your shit together user, it's not too late but at some point it will be. dont be cucked by some stupid interview.

Really, in my university there were four mandatory law courses (public, private, commercial and financial markets law) and only three math courses (overview of calculus, statistics and mathematical finance) for the bachelor degree. What I really hate about laws is the fact that you study everything and the next year you might have to relearn various concepts because a politician decided to apply a different policy. I remember that for a course the professor said “Guys, don't buy the version of the book older than two years. That isn't a law book, it's a history book”. And the same professor strongly advised to pass the exam in the same year because in the next one various norms had to change so you had to start from the scratch.
I really respect lawyers for this.

>you study everything and the next year you might have to relearn various concepts because a politician decided to apply a different policy.
law sounds like the absolute worst thing to study as far as how uninteresting it sounds. I cant imagine why anyone would want to study that shit, idc how much money you make.

Because the real world isn't a fairy tale where everything always works out in the end. The user you're arguing with is right. Find something that is useful and pay the bills and learn to love it, not the other way around.

>throwing your life away
kys

I'm . I don't know what happened in you interview so my advice might appear superficial, however you shouldn't be so obsessed by your failures. There are some jobs where your first interview might decide if you can get in the sector or not, but I don't think that your case is like that.
Also, your failure may be an opportunity for growth. Why did the interview go bad? You can't handle stress? You can't talk well with other people?
Try to think about your problems and fix them.
I had a similar experience where I was given a prestigious scholarship by two important politicians (one of them had a position equivalent to the Speaker of the House of Commons) and my speech was stopped two times with laughs because I spoke quickly the first time and I mentioned “arbitrage” the second time (I read about the “Ignorant audience law” only later). I wanted to bury myself in the nearest hole in that day. However, I also discovered that I had to fix my autism and I had to improve my public speaking skills (to say the truth, speaking skills in general. Years of social isolation for studying really destroyed my social skills. Sometimes I stop speaking because I can't think about the next words).
It's unfortunate that you spent a lot of years doing nothing, but if you continue like this things won't change for the better.

>Having a practical plan to gain useful skills for employment is "throwing your life away"
user. You know "300k starting with math degree" is a meme right.

I actually love my subject of choice, but it took me a couple of years of intensive studying to get to this point. Definitely don't feel like my life is being wasted. You must be either

>ou must be either

i have to send off my university application by the end of today. still a little unsure, anyone studied these things or have any insight: geography, physical geography, urban and regional planning, environmental management, and the wild card: classical studies

What do you do that's so epic and awesome and fun?

There's some Japanese concept about how passion, drive, the thing you do actually benefiting other people, and another aspect I can't remember, that all manifest itself into pure satisfaction in a profession. I wish I could remember what it is, but yeah I feel like in general loving what you do is largely just an idea. You have to learn to love it

You pass the bar exam you're in. Lawyer's are a professional certified trade just like a pipefitter, or engineer there no difference just some require more work to obtain.

Cal Newport wrote extensively on this already, it's proven the vast majority of people find satisfaction in work they don't actually enjoy, but become so good at that they are satisfied with their job doing it.

Yeah, I'm doing Archaeology. I fucking love it and job security is pretty decent. Currently trying to arse pull 3000 words on Stable isotope Analysis, fascinating stuff but it feels kind of wwild going from discussing social structures in the Bronze Age to describing atomic decay and shit over night.

No. Law school acceptance depends on undergrad GPA, and LSAT score.
What you study isn't important so much as learning to write and read and reason at high levels.

Eggs, yes.

Me. I'm studying biology.

Me, a lowly medical phaggot

Architect here, don't mind me just being the sublime masters of both art and scienxe

>pure math and physics majors actually believe this

Just be thankful for people like exist. The more people who have given up on trying to get a job where they are doing something they enjoy, the less competition for people like you and I. By accepting their lot, they are essentially supporting the minority who strive for more.

enjoy while it lasts user. architectural engineering is growing and will soon replace architects who have basic physics and math skills (I am assuming you guys take at the very least college physics). Why have 2 people, the architect and engineer building a building when you can now just have 1 person, an engineer who knows architecture?

>a job
>not a career

>pipefitter
>equal to an engineer or lawyer who obtain college degrees
We really are reaching here now methy.

You don't understand what architecture is. Architecture is about balancing human elements like comfort and aesthetics with elements like physics and energy efficiency. Every large building is a political act and reflects the human elements of the money that's behind it. If anything, architects have become less science based over the years.

this. why should you get payed for doing something you'd like to do anyway?
also, in my experience, when something you like becomes work, you quickly come to view it as a chore and subconsciously try to minimize the amount of work you have to do, as opposed to trying to maximize your knowledge in something that's merely a subject of interest or enjoyment.
also, not every interest has equal monetizing capability.

Which one did you get first

He misspelled "STEAM", which stands for Science Technology Engineering Art Mathematics.

Industrial Engineering here.

>You are going to be working a huge chunk of your waking hours for the next 50 years or whatever
I'm not. In the near future I'm starting a business and working a lot on it so I can retire before I'm 50. Working past that age is for wagecucks.

even the most libshit of libshits in my department thinks STEAM is retarded. i don't know how it ever had any traction.

I'm double majoring in Mechanical Eng. and Religious Studies. I love how I get to learn about how the role of religion shaped societies and be able to be employed when i graduate.

are you a frog?

I did my undergrad in CS and now I work for a CS dept doing social """science""""

I'm in CS. I still love programming, I still love math, but will admit Veeky Forums is getting to me a bit.
But the only thing I would remotely consider switching to is Engineering (maybe structural...). Everything else just dosen't appeal to me at all so I guess I'll just keep fiddling with my gizmos

I'm double majoring in Health Science/Wilderness Medicine and Philosophy. I don't really care for money, and I would much rather pursue mathematics as an autodidact.

I. BSc Economics. Not STEM but lots of fun math

Me. I'm doing the hardest job ever: parenting ;)

Kek. Partially right.

I've finished my PhD more than a year ago, and there was a very distinct experience between most PhD students. The students in my research area all either got a job within 2 months after passing their viva, or they already had a job or postdoc lined up. I was struggling a lot - but the struggle was to decide between the three postdoc offers I had. The other group: jobless. Some of them still don't have a job, some of them finally had to cave in and accept a shittier job after like 8 months of searching. Those were the astrophysicists.

So clearly, the trick isn't just to do a STEM degree - but do one that's actually going to help you in your career.

this board is literally math and sci