Just purchased this textbook and the abstract algebra textbook from Lang...

Just purchased this textbook and the abstract algebra textbook from Lang. Are these good resources alone to learn the material? If not, what other (free) resources pair well with these books?

Other urls found in this thread:

springer.com/us/book/9780387903286
springer.com/us/book/9780387944609
amazon.com/Basic-Complex-Analysis-Comprehensive-Course/dp/1470411008
amazon.com/Advanced-Complex-Analysis-Comprehensive-Course/dp/1470411016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Are these good resources alone to learn the material?
No, Lang is a meme.

Also general abstract algebra books are also a meme, get a book for whatever specific topic you're interested in (rings, groups, fields, commutative algebra, homological algebra, representation theory, etc.)

what about Lang is a meme?

Don't have his algebra book, but his complex analysis book is good.

I’ve got them both. They are both good, but at oddly different levels. The complex analysis book is not nearly as advanced as the algebra book.

There's literally a point in that book (in the statement of the residue theorem I think) where Lang writes [math]\sqrt{-1}[/math] instead of [math]i[/math], since he refuses to use another variable as an index in a sum. He even makes a note about it. Literally a meme.

shut up honestly

just use j

>shut up honestly
What's wrong?

Why do you think general abstract algebra books as you put it are a 'meme'

Can't translate too own notation
are you under 18

Many complex analysis/geometry books do that.

>Also general calculus books are also a meme, get a book for whatever specific topic you're interested in (differentiation, integration, series, numerical methods, optimization, differential forms, etc.)

Lang would be difficult for a first encounter with abstract algebra. You will most likely not be able to get through it unless you've had a previous experience with the topic. I've never read his complex analysis, so I can't comment.

Make sure to do all the exercises.

Advanced Linear Algebra: I. M. Gelfand, Lectures on Linear Algebra
Representation Theory: J. P. Serre, Linear Representations of Finite Groups, Chapters I and II.
Commutative Algebra: Atiyah-Macdonald, Commutative Algebra.
Group Theory: The Theory of Groups by Robinson
Galois Theory: Algebra with Galois Theory by E. Artin, and then Local Fields by Serre

Should cover everything in Algebra I and II at most universities, even the grad version.

Under
springer.com/us/book/9780387903286
springer.com/us/book/9780387944609

Grad:
amazon.com/Basic-Complex-Analysis-Comprehensive-Course/dp/1470411008

amazon.com/Advanced-Complex-Analysis-Comprehensive-Course/dp/1470411016

>Advanced Linear Algebra: I. M. Gelfand, Lectures on Linear Algebra
who does "advanced linear algebra" cover ?

>This book is intended as a textbook for a first course in the theory of functions of one complex variable for students who are mathematically mature enough to understand and execute E - 8 arguments.
what are E - 8 arguments?

OCR fail for ε - δ arguments.

>Lang's Algebra

The formal definition of limits and proofs using such machinery. Those argumebts can be pretty tricky to get a hang on when you are starting with math

People either love Lang or they really hate him (like hate hate)

But is an idiot

On algebra, Lang is grad level.

Michael artin algebra or dummit and foote abstract algebra are standard undergrad.

>purchased
Cuck

a better complex analysis book is the one by freitag. a good supplement is gamelins book. of course, brown and churchill is a good introduction to the subject.

source:phd in subfield of functional analysis.

They'll be fine OP, just be sure to look at other sources as you go along. My favorite has to be Ahlfors, such a beautiful text. Spends a long time developing geometry results.

>short exercise
>solve ALL problems in homological algebra textbook
>real quick

Homological Algebra is pretty straightforward. Probably one of the easier exercises.

oh damn ok, i thought it was some novel way of judging the difficulty of a proof

>are these good resources
Jesus Christ, just fucking read the book and see how well it works for you. This fucking board

Why would someone waste time reading a shitty book when they could read a good b9k instead? Jackass.

>Why would someone waste time reading a shitty book when they could read a good b9k instead?
How do you know if it's shitty without reading it?

>Serge Lang
Daily reminder that AIDS doesn't exist.

To learn Group Theory for free. Search up Robert Boltje at UCSC. He has lecture notes that you can download very good.

kek

He doesn't, he's just repeating whatever he read here.