Why does Veeky Forums rarely discuss plays and playwrights?

Why does Veeky Forums rarely discuss plays and playwrights?

>Shakespeare
>Corneille
>Racine
>Molière
>Plautus
We discuss them often.

If you mean broadway-tier modern playwrights, then perhaps you could check r/books?

Why do you instinctively categorise modern playwrights as /r/books?

I doubt you have ever really read them.

Eugene O'Neill
Harold Pinter
Tennessee Williams
Arthur Miller
Samuel Beckett

To name a few, are critically recognised as creative geniuses.

They're all great. (Not the guy you replied to). I woulda thrown Ionesco in there too.

How do I read plays?
Notice that I can't visualize for shit: would that be too much of an handicap?

> leaving the house to go see a play

Seriously tho, I find them too intense.

Chekhov too. Although he is not exactly "modern" anymore. But he would be considered the father of modern plays.

>“To hell with the truth! As the history of the world proves, the truth has no bearing on anything. It's irrelevant and immaterial, as the lawyers say. The lie of a pipe dream is what gives life to the whole misbegotten mad lot of us, drunk or sober.”

I love Eugene O'Neill.

>discussing playwrights instead of creating 20th Tolstoyevsky thread this day, discussing whether Holden raped his sister, spamming frogs, memes and Ayn Rand, asking what the fuck was picrelated's problem and autistically ''''arguing'''' in ultracontrarian teenager fashion over babby-tier philosophical and religious problems
SHIGGY DIGGY

We have already had the token contrarian ITT in the first post.

You've outgrown this place.
We're just holding you back.

Fly free brethren

I dislike plays intensely.

Why?

t. brainlet contrarian

Because nobody here actually reads.

That doesn't stop anyone from discussing novels, poetry, and nonfiction.

Edward Albee and Harold Pinter are definitely worth reading. Sarah Kane is interesting but grueling.

I was made to do A Streetcar Named Desire and A View from the Bridge when I was an A Level student for my Literature course.

Here's one for you Veeky Forums: What do you think is the best piece of musical theatre, from a literary rather than a musical standpoint?

Weill's Street Scene

Ok?

Honestly, i think its because the lines are written to be seen, not read. It throws me off.

You have to read them before you speak them.

bump

Because theater isn't entry level, you actually have to move out of your house to see a play, and each city has its own specific scene, so it's pretty difficult to talk about one particular production on Veeky Forums.

We only really discuss Shakespeare. Most people on this board haven't even heard of Corneille and Racine.

who the fuck reads or goes to plays

Me. Plays are honestly great.

t. brainlet

Anything live ruins my suspension of disbelieve it seems.

I have the same with music, any musician I've seen live or have met is pretty much dead to me afterwards. Can't listen to them any more.

Also, plays in general are the wrong kind of pretentious and actors are mostly terrible people. Being up close to them and seeing them unironically being this pretentious and terrible is revolting. I feel like that kid who realised the emperor was naked every time I'm surrounded by those kinds of people.

Familiarity breeds contempt I guess. I find it way more easy to respect artists from afar.

Seek therapy.

Well, we all have our ridiculous little fixed ideas, I guess.

Why?

>Also, plays in general are the wrong kind of pretentious and actors are mostly terrible people

I don't agree with the rest of your post but that part is mostly true. I've worked in theatres for years and sometimes it's like hanging around with kids in school who crave too much attention. Some actors are okay. All directors are pretentious and constantly looking for networking opportunities. I'm not sure how different that is to your typical office worker/manager but then again I've never worked in an office so can't compare.

Although, once some actor dude came up to me and introduced himself as Karl and I said, oh like Karl Roßmann (from Kafka's, Amerika), and then we got into a brief conversation about the book because he'd once done a radio play about it. That remains the most Veeky Forums conversation I've ever had outside of Veeky Forums.

It's more of a visceral reaction than an idea, it's that sort of gut feeling you get around people who have something 'off' about them.

People in the performing arts have that same vibe about them as politicians, like you can never get a sincere moment out of them, which I guess is to be expected by people who insincerely mimic emotions day after day after day. There's just something about them that screams that they are neither sincere nor good. They deceive people for a living. I know acting on a stage is a sort of benevolent deception but that always seeps over into their daily lives. When you hang around actors and observe them you notice that they are pretty much acting all the time. They're so dedicated to faking being a human being that they seem to forget how to be a real one.

The ancients were right to put them in the same category as whores desu.

shiiii-

>plays in general are the wrong kind of pretentious and actors are mostly terrible people
You aren't even wrong, the worst thing is their complete lack of self-awareness.

we have to stop the brainlet menace

>When you hang around actors and observe them you notice that they are pretty much acting all the time. They're so dedicated to faking being a human being that they seem to forget how to be a real one.
This, 100%. One of my closest childhood friend has been a theaterfag for most of his life and loves acting - he's also one of the least sincere people I know for the very reasons you described. He was an awkward kid for a time during puberty, so it's almost as though he made up for it by acting; he's a much more popular, social person now but, having known him forever, I can see through the act.