Why is eastern "philosophy" so popular among hipsters nowadays?

Why is eastern "philosophy" so popular among hipsters nowadays?

Other urls found in this thread:

academia.edu/13037452/Notes_towards_a_comparison_of_Buddhism_and_Stoicism_as_Lived_Philosophies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because it's "different" but it's what all my friends are into. It's because hipsters are just trying to be hippies with affluent lifestyles.

They think it's 'foreign' and 'different' and they didn't learn it in school so they think they're super smart for going beyond the educational system.

When in reality they just read a wikipedia article and then smoked a buncha weed and worshiped Wiccan shit, eastern philosphy, and chakras with their smelly friends

The death of God has made people realize that science and materialism cannot make one happy. Since God is too mainstream, they are seeking another spiritual outlet.

They mistake the summaries of popularizers with the content of actual works and conclude that the systems lack rigor, so you can just continue being a lazy fuck and never learn logic or argue your positions.

I feel like I am always ahead of the curve :(
In highschool 10 years ago I was "fug the gubernment, equality to all, we must pursue a resource based economy and the utopia we are destined for", then it slowly got highjacked into "fug the gubernment, fug white people, fug history, gib me dats, my vagina my rules ;)"

Now I'm seeing the same shit with the fucking "alt right", Trump was a big fuck you to the two party system and now its ran by fucking redditors that use memes unironically.

I read alot of Zen stuff and some fun Mahayana myth back then but now I am going through Western Philosophy.

Idk maybe I'm just a "I'm not like the other girls" faggot but i genuinely hate everything the normies pick up, there is good in everything but they bring out the absolute worst of it every time.

Social fads are fekkin gay

>nowadays

More like since the late 19th century.

this completely.

This.

Also, the Beats loved them some Buddhism, and everyone, especially hipsters, goes though a Beats period. I know I did.

Because it is generally vague, well meaning and life affirming.

Casuals/pseuds ruin everything because they want to be part of it without understanding it, it is also preferable for them to remain ignorant of this fact. Remember when rules 1 and 2 were a thing and people didn't go to jail for trolling. But the casuals don't know they're casuals, they want their share and the people that want to control the world want to help them.

Everything that makes it beyond its natural environment will be changed. Buddhism has been used to justify wars and all sorts of mystical nonsense. Everybody's got an agenda. Buddhism only started having rules because the casuals couldn't stop casualling but they didn't like the rules because they were casuals so they just did what they wanted. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let the casuals bring you down, they don't know any better. If anything help them up. The wheel never stops turning and most don't want to get off. The Buddha found his way by meditation and then he tried to share it whilst acknowledging that it can't be shared that way.

I'm pretty tempted to give up my identity and devote myself to meditation. It seems like the only reasonable thing to do sometimes.

Just read Borges 'A New Refutation of Time' in which pic related is mentioned

>life affirming
Lmao, right, because autistic ascetism designed to keep the dummies dumb and resigned is lively as fuck

Asceticism is the patrician lifestyle.

When the serpents take off their men suits you'll be amongst the first they find.

Because most are too stupid to grasp science and most are too stupid to grasp religion. Yet, somehow, they think they are smart enough to handle the overlap.

Leibniz was a chinaboo back in the 17th century, so it's been going on for even longer than that arguably.

It is hard to find someone who can demonstrate that you haven't understood something in eastern philosophy, and many people who have understood it themselves wouldn't even want to do so.

>putting philosophy in quotes
Really?

Yes.

>they didn't learn it in school
We learned it in school. It's not that unusual.

Then again statistically you're probably American and I can understand if America doesn't do that so just fuck me
>everyone goes through a Beats phase
what

>nowadays

you mean the past 70 years

Am I still a hipster if I am an Asian that was born and raised in Asia?

were you azn b4 it wuz cool?

mfw being Asian was never cool

What a stupid quote.

OBSESSED

/thread

they want to admit that they were wrong, but they don't want to confess tha their daddy was right

Depends what part of Asia, and what stratus of society. If you're an uberwesternised Pakistani obsessed with Buddhism then yeah.

If you mediate you can actually achieve samadhi. It is actually real. You fags are just upset because youll never achieve comparable self development by READING lol

>tfw Chuang-tse discusses Metempsychosis more than two thousand years before Continental philosophers and random anons take a single quote out of context and brush it off as stupidity

Care to explain?
I'm still dabbling with the idea of starting to meditate. I haven't started so far because everytime I'll just get distracted or I'll just feel "not ready", it looks like a really heavy effort to me.

>Buddha
>asceticism

You do know Buddha abandoned Asceticism right? He viewed that kind of self-inflicted suffering as a superfluous act that didn't lead the way to Enlightenment.

You forgot to mention how it's complete shit as a translation.

I never take mainstream casual presentations of eastern philosophical quotes at face value, as it's often mistranslated or just fake. Always corroborate with academic sources before accepting into your headcanon.

Read Daniel Ingram's Hardcore Dharma book. One of the good things about it is how it rails against false gurus who think they're enlightened but only achieved a lower stage.

Big A Asceticism vs small a asceticism, friend. I'm not that guy but I just wanted to make the distinction.

>too stupid to grasp religion
Don't you mean too smart to be religious?

No. The two are not mutually exclusive; many religious people are not smart enough to grasp religion.

Um, have you guys been living under a rock? Aztec philosphy is the new shit. See James Maffie.

best advice i ever read about meditation: "the trick is to actually do it"

>materialism cannot make one happy

Not that user but it's like riding a bike. The more often and more earnestly you practice the easier it becomes. The key is to practice regularly and not get frustrated.
The Mind Illuminated gives a pretty good overview of the various stages, practices and pitfalls in a fairly simple and comprehensive manner.
Get comfy but not so comfy you fall asleep which is why sitting in a chair with a straight back is often advised. Focus on the sensation of your breath (at the nostrils is often said to be easiest but I find it more in the nasal cavity). When you catch your thoughts drifting back to whatever they do go back to focusing on the breath. The biggest hurdles at the beginning are learning to notice your mind wandering from the meditation object(in this case the sensation of your breath) and learning to maintain a steady focus on the breath.

I like to practice in bed at night because I get to do some meditation and it's pretty easy to fall asleep during. It helps to learn the beginning of mediation although you can't fall asleep all the time if you want to experience deeper stages or feel the majority of the benefits.

Even Plato and Socrates believed in metempsychosis.

Of course the Greeks thought about Metempsychosis. That the East brought it up independently and more or less contemporaneously with the Greeks is not a mark against them.

i wasnt trying to make the suggestion you think i was.

to anybody in this thread,read this, the Greeks were influenced by eastern philosophy:

academia.edu/13037452/Notes_towards_a_comparison_of_Buddhism_and_Stoicism_as_Lived_Philosophies

¨“...it seems to me that there really are troubling analogies between the philosophical attitudes
of antiquity and those of the Orient.

>nowadays
how young are you?

I'm not accusing you of anything either, just pointing it out for people who are unequipped to properly interpret your post.

Chuang Tsu is basically proto-Hegel, and Daoism is proto-dialectic thought, so they're okay in my book.

People who disregard western philosophy for being too logically minded are cancer though.

What are the troubling analogies, and what is troubling about them?

>nowadays
dude there were streats named after Rabindranath Tagore in nazi germany it´s not a new new phenomenon
also it´s pretty much the same stuff as in western philosophy just with other mysticism around it

Nope. Truly grasping religion is incredibly difficult, especially Christianity. Just because you "believe" or go to church does not mean you understand anything on a profound level.

Ey m8, you got any tips on helping me understand the ressurrection?
1. God dies
2. God brings Himself (is brought?) back to life
Frankly just saying "God is so fucking omnipotent he can do things while fucking dead" sounds fairly weird, but saying God didn't die, or didn't entirely die, is considerably worse.
Ideas?

>God is too mainstream
I don't doubt that they see it that way.

Egregore.

First thing you need to do is be receptive. Best way to do this is to read Plato and Aristotle. Then read the Bible, go to church, and talk with others about the faith. Then read Scholastic philosophy and contemporary theological texts.

>Egregore
Then God can't fucking die dumass.

I'm catholic, I'm just asking for help on that specific issue.

Beyond my wisdom, sorry. I'm relatively new to Christianity.

Because hipsters are the type of people to like novelty. It's as simple as that.

Theology IS very complex and can be rewarding, but the initial assumptions it makes (i.e. that the Abrahamic God exists, that the Bible is true) are usually too much of a stretch for rational-minded folks

What did you expect? That is how they always respond.

>"But how do you know [specific proposition]?"
>gives vague mystical advice about how you must first become "one with God" before you can know the "Truth"

Only difference between them and snake-oil salesmen is that they manage to somehow be taken seriously.

As others have said, I actually despise new age fad spirituality way way more then main stream theists, but I follow/study a combination of hermetic qabala, Neoplatonism, Gnosticism, Taoism, hinduism (upanishads etc), and other things because as I first rebelled against my Catholic upbringing, was an ardent anti-theist, got lost and depressed in materialism and hedonism, and have now found these new ideas through the doorway of Crowley and I am truly happy for the first time in my life. I don't need any physical item, or any other person to be happy. What anyone else believes or thinks of my beliefs matters not. All I need is my mind to meditate and alms texts to study and a small room and a minimum amount of food and I'm happy. Since it's hard to be an aisetic in western cultures I am studying analytic psychology in college to make a minimum amount of money helping others so I can work on my own enlightenment for the majority of my life.

>but I follow/study a combination of hermetic qabala, Neoplatonism, Gnosticism, Taoism, hinduism (upanishads etc), and other things
Wew lad could you be any more of a pseudo-intellect?

Westerners have been fascinated with eastern philosophy and culture forever, it's not new. Wives of fucking roman elites creamed their togas over imported silk. Stop pretending it's a sudden thing.
plus, Confucianism alone BTFO the entire western canon:^)

There exists no other system so all encompassing of every worlds mythology as hermetic qabalah and that also so clearly explains the creation and model of the universe/human soul.

You look at life as calling other people "pseudo-intellectuals" because to you appearing intelligent and superior is your ultimate goal.

Tell me, are you happy? I am. Every minute of every day.

>There exists no other system so all encompassing of every worlds mythology as hermetic qabalah
What is sufism

I'm not a big fan of Confucianism, myself. Give me a chinese Naturalism or Taoism any day.

Redology is the shit though.

Which Crowley who would have agreed with me on my first statement was initiated into by actual sages (of Sufism)

>Tell me, are you happy? I am. Every minute of every day.
I don't believe that for even a moment.

I emphatically disagree. Glossing yinyang in terms of Hegel's dialectic (which I assume is your reasoning) is misguided.

there's more judgement than sincerity in your argot. maybe there's honest curiosity in you but it's veiled in groupspeak. good luck to ya either way friendo.

>The death of God has made people realize that science and materialism cannot make one happy.
news to me

Also, Greeks adopted Buddhism a couple of hundred years before the Chinese.

oy vey goy don't you know that the greeks stole everything from egyptian KANGZ and eastern PEOPLE OF COLOR. the latest (((scientific evidence))) and newest (((studies))) prove that the greeks have NO philosophy of their own. plato, aristotle... they are NOTHING compared to their eastern overlords. you have to STOP reading bigoted western philosophy, it is a product of racist eurocentric cis white males. eastern philosophy is the real deal.bow down to the genius of POC goyim.

u r such a fucking dumbass, know where is that even implied.

what the mentioned texts show is that there was an influence and that is how the attitude of the greeks went from one about eudenmia to calmness and tranquility.

they imported some terms from the east as well as attitudes

that is it.

it is not about "muf white devils stole from other races"

Fuck off and read you repulsive polyp

kike commies have appropriated oriental philosophy and bastardized its going with the flow/self-actualization/work ethic/suffering duality which is actually very compatible with very western concepts such as self-determination and nationalism with into a subversive lazy layaboutism of meh whatever "zen" faggotry of smoking weed hippie shit and siddharta and confucius and zhuangzi and hitler are literally sitting up in heaven fucking furious at this pozzed shit let me tell ya

>science and materialism

That's an odd way to spell nihilism and hedonism.

> continue being a lazy fuck and never learn logic or argue your positions

So continue to be happy? I'm all for it.

kys my man, oriental philosophy is shallow garbage and its influence on the greeks is negligible. you've been brainwashed by the (((academia))) and the virtue signalling pseudo intellectuals who glorify foreign trash just because it is not european.