Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eISr0vQhRhc
youtube.com/watch?v=3AAdKl1UYZs
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haugh_unit
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you can use "bacon" then

(((Bacon))) was promoted by a Jewish marketing executive as a breakfast food

>bacon is only eaten because of marketers

Lol, niggah. The belly was cured and smoked along with the hams during the fall hog butchering by the salt of the earth people who built the US. If you want to bitch about bacon, bitch about the fact in it's current incarnation it's a chemically injected and tumbled factory raised tasteless piece of GMO fed fat retaining and concentrating all of the roundup carcinogens. Cure your own from organic free range pork and you'll sing a different tune.

carbonara is a pure simple dish.The parmasan, egg, guanciale, spices are just too important. You cannot substitute with bacon. It's just not carbonara.

Use pancetta and stop making threads like this.

>You cannot substitute with bacon.
I use pork chops. Fight me.

>You cannot substitute with bacon
WRONG

I've only ever made my 'etti 'nara with bacon.

guanciale is smoked. most bacon ain't. if you ain't got guanciale, you might want to consider a different cured, smoked piece of pork

So if your bacon is smoke then it's fine? So you can use bacon then?

smoked bacon would be a reasonable sub in my opinion. this might upset a few.

Pancetta is the nicer option if you can't get guanciale but bacon is still fine. Sometimes I have it with bacon just for a change.

Cool, I can get smoked bacon from a local guy, but I don't think I can find guanciale anywhere. I'll give it a try.

youtube.com/watch?v=eISr0vQhRhc

i thought carbonara was supposed to be some poor person food, why's it gotta be all "gourmet cheese" and fancy cuts of meat?

>guanciale is smoked

Ignore this post. Neither guanciale nor pancetta are smoked. True bacon (not the garbage grocery variety) is smoked. I suppose if you like a smoky flavor then bacon works, but it's not authentic. The order of preference should be: guanciale>pancetta>bacon.

Clapistan considers cheese made from milk rather than sawdust and petroleum gourmet, and bacon made from cured pork belly rather than salted and corn syruped lard fancy.

I use pre-cooked bacon bits.

Fight me IRL faggots

>local cornershop doesn't stock guanciale
I've literally never seen this or heard of it before a few months ago. Where would you ever get this shit? Not surprised people use bacon. That video with the old Italian(?) chef calls it bacon as well.

where do you live?

What about Turkey bacon? Or tofu bacon? I can't eat pork but I really want carbonara :

you can try turkey bacon, although it might be too thin, the pieces in carbonara need to be at least as thick as the tip of your little finger.
or you can try not being a religious bonker and just eat the good stuff

maybe if you live in a trailer park

>believing in God

>buzzwords: the post

Alright Veeky Forums this is a shitpost

Everyone in thread saying guanciala is required is because of this vid

youtube.com/watch?v=3AAdKl1UYZs

TLD Carbonara is specific. However similar dishes can use bacon or other pork cuts of familiar taste and cream if you wish versus egg yolk. If youre not running an Italian restaurant it doesnt fucking matter.

TLDR I buy smoked guanciala at meijer (Its not supposed to be smoked fuckwits) and cook it for family without egg because they dont like the egg, or the cream. Go fuck yourselves.

I'm not religious, presumptive niggers. I got worms when I was 11 from eating pork roast that my aunt made at christmas (she said she liked to serve it just under "well done") so I haven't gone near anything swine-like ever since.

You aren't going to get parasites from pork that is cured, smoked or both, and cooked through.

>bacon is Jewish

Listen here son, lots of things in this world can be blamed on the Jews, but BACON is one of the things that you really can not in any way blame on the Jews. Bacon is the arch enemy of the Jews and the Muslims.

>reddit spacing
kys

Although is clearly a retard, he's right that bacon was popularized by a public relations campaign by Edward Bernays —one of the first PR people in the modern sense. Bernays was Jewish —although from what I've read, he wasn't devout in any way.

Use salt pork, bacon, or pancetta as a substitute.

>(she said she liked to serve it just under "well done")
Just because your aunt is fucking retarded doesn't mean you need to be. Cook your damn chicken and pork through and you'll be fine. Quit being a faggot.

get fucked, pork should be cooked to the same doneness as you like your steak.

Enjoy your worms and salmonella then, you fucking retard.

Yeah, well done.

Check your local stats... but in the US, there are about a dozen reported cases per year in a population of about 350,000,000. In Canada, there were no reported cases from domestic transmission (farmed pigs) between 1980 and 2012-2013. Treatment is generally effective and symptoms disappear quickly in comparison to other worm infections.

Basically, a little pink in your pork roast probably won't kill you.

It's almost like it's a psychological issue you fucking neanderthal. I won't go near certain things because of an extremely negative association; for instance, any lemon lime flavored drink is appalling to me because I had to drink three full bottles of lemon lime magnesium citrate before I had surgery as a child. You sound like a narrow-minded fatass.

You sound like you've had a serious history of medical problems. How many of them required psychiatric therapy?

You're the one making personal attacks at people for having dietary preferences. Resolve your anger issues there, buddy.

>tfw I made my carbonara with de-salted bacon

Can I use grana padano instead of parmesan? It's a bit cheaper in the supermarket. I've already substituted guanciale for bacon bits.

Holy shit that pasta is way way way too thick. Dumb cunt needs a rolling pin, that will taste like trash

stop fishing your pork out of the dumpster behind walmart and you wont have these issues

He's right tho, America has no food due to the extreme liberty your food industry has.
Look at this and laugh for exemple :
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haugh_unit
Meanwhile in my country, the rating takes into account :
The number of chicken per square meter
Access to daylight constantly or not
Weither or not they are caged, in a warehouse or outside
Food used to feed them

Your ranking is literally just how much hormone you give to the beasts, the more the better, this is fucking retarded.

What a surprise. Nu-channers rely on YouTube for their opinions. Color me shocked.

I don't drive because my dad put me behind the wheel when I was seven and I almost fucking killed us. Does this mean I don't realize that my phobia is irrational? Of course not; it's stupid. Get your shit together.

>mobile poster
You're the only one anybody is laughing at.

Bacon works fine, don't worry. It is the cream that you have to get right that really matters.

I'm not a neet 18/24 on his computer my dude

But, for some reason, you're on Veeky Forums instead of Facebook. I don't think you have any room to talk down to anyone.

I don't see the point you're making here, different websites have different purposes, what makes you think I'm not on Facebook at the same time?
You lack reasoning and logic, maybe you should get back to class or take some online courses since you have so much free time

>the salt of the earth people who built the US.
Europeans then?

We don't all get our education from YouTube you retard.

Guys I'm not OP, can prosciutto be used as a substitute? I know it's not traditional but does it work with carbonara?

Guys, please... we're all retarded here. It comes with the terroir.

It's not traditional, and if you called it carbonara in front of an Italian (or anyone from any background on Veeky Forums), you'd probably get slapped, but it will work. Prosciutto is a bit more delicate, and unless you've purchased a slab, quite thin - so you want to be really gentle with the cooking, and probably substitute oil or butter for the renderings you'd be coddling the egg/cheese in.

I use cream when I make carbonara.
If this bothers you, you are a nu male fuccboi who needs to leave

It only bothers me if you make it this way because you're always making scrambled egg noodles when you skip the cream.

Smoked bacon is objectively better.

I use ham slices and american cheese in my carbonara and its delicious.

Carbonara can definitely use a smoked pork product and be authentic. While it did traditionally use guanciale, it was also traditionally cooked over a wood or coal fire (developed by coal miners as food for their short break because it was so quick, hence 'carbonara'), so it would probably come out fairly smoky.

It's not carbonara but's fine. I use meatballs made from pork sausages. Fuck you, it tastes great.

Absolute new friend to cooking.

A week ago I made carbonara like the following, improve my method.

Dice some bacon, chuck it in the pan till cooked, keep on low heat till ready to throw in.

Dump spaghetti in boiling water till it cooks.

Mix egg yolk with parmesan and pepper, drain the spaghetti, put it in a pot with the egg yolk, parmesan and pepper sauce. Put over low heat while stirring and throwing in sliced garlic.

Throw in bacon. Eat.

Did I do good, ck?