Why is mathematics aways written in first person plural?

Why is mathematics aways written in first person plural?

"We write...", "we will proof...", etc

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.D.C._Willard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Using "I" or "me" considered too egocentric or some shit

I always use "I".

I'm not a "we".

I actually write proofs in second person. Singular most of the time but plural occasionally.

I usually write "we" referring to myself and the reader ("We can now see that..."). Do you really need "I" for any other case? For those very rare cases, mathematicians do use "I" ("it has come to my attention that...")

majestic plural

Due to the inherent objectivity of mathematics, first person plural is preferred over singular, as any one of your colleagues could have also done the same, if given enough time.

we refers to the writer and the reader

When doing math you stand upon the shoulders of Giants. Those are the other people you are referring to.

It's just the current style.
Look at some famous historical papers and you'll see it wasn't always this way.
Also

In a paper, you're guiding your reader along an intellectual journey. "We" is the best way to do this. It creates the sense that the writer is there with you, showing you their newly paved path.

(((we)))

What the fuck.

I always figured this was a carryover from some classical greek work or something
maybe it went into fashion when formal proofs became popular?

Because you do it together with the reader.

/thread

in addition to most of the reasons given in this thread, it also sounds hell of a lot cooler than using "I" like a blogpost would have

refer*

>What's the best pen to write a proof
Not science OP, just like your thread

we was kangs

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.D.C._Willard

This. Fucking plebeians

Fucking commies. It's not referring to (((you))). You have absolutely nothing to do with it.

It's a majestic plural like said.

WE

WUZ

KANGZ

No it's not a majestic plural, it is because you are guiding the reader. But I guess some of you mathfaggots are deluded enough to believe you are as important as a king or a pope

What is the problem?

Highly interesting and somewhat controversial topic. Fact is, scientists are generally poor writers, and the often used passive form invites bad and crappy writing style. There are a lot of reasons to us active form (I assess, we conclude, etc.), and the only reason why the passive form is still very often used is simply tradition.

Big journals (Nature, Science, etc.) encourage authors to use the active form. I'd love to use "I" for my final thesis, but I'm a bit too chicken about it.

First person plural is used even in languages that don't have a notion of a "majestic" plural, dumb-asses. The plural is used because the ideal reader is working through the proof together with you. You don't read a math paper like you read your newspaper. Reading mathematics is a participative endeavour. Reading though a proof is like reassembling some object.

And if you're just trolling, fuck you.

You seem to be lost/in the wrong thread. Math papers use the active voice quite often.

I always assumed the book was taking me by the hand and walking me through the topic.

Also, where to get a replacement cap for a Pelikan fountain pen similar to the one on the picture?
The cap of my pen was damaged by epoxy on a "hold my beer" tier fix on my desk.

This is it. You're leading another person (the reader) through the proof.
Do you think it's strange that a professor says "we" when he's lecturing.

fountain pen hospital if you're american
or ask in the fountain pen network

>majestic plural
holy shit you're delusional

It was first started by autists who, because of their mental illness, couldn't understand proper use of pronouns, so they would mix up "I" and "We" a lot. It caught on because it was an easy way to avoid looking douchey, as using "I" would make it look like you are taking credit for basic logic, while, at the same time, allows you to act pretty condescendingly toward the reader.

>supporting Big Pen
>mfw

WE DON'T CARE
WE'RE NOT CAUGHT UP IN YOUR LOVE AFFAIR

I do it because it makes it clear that I'm involving the reader. They're already reading through some boring, convoluted math paper. I might as well try to make it more approachable to them.

I use we in the sense that I and the reader are looking at something.

Ex: Let us show. We see that

>first person plural
multiple authors, Sherlock

>i-it's to involve the reader!

Fucking stupid. Does it thank the reader at the end for spending the whole book with the author too?

>re-reader... I don't know how to tell you this, but after having spent the whole book with (you) I think I'm falling in love with you! I hope going through the subject together helped your endeavour. Please come back for a quick reference every now and then so we can go through proofs together again. Maybe in another life we could've been lovers....
>Thank you for being the friend I never had

dumb weeb poster

Why the homofobia?

why the faggotry?

Just doing my best to fit in. I'm considerate like that.

suck less dick

When I write my proofs I use third person

This

"Let X be..."
"Suppose that..."
"Take X as..."
Pretty common.

textbooks usually have multiple authors

Because, the things you write are usually supposed to be read by another person.
first person (singular): you sound like ignoring the other person
second person (singular): you sound too authoritative to the other person
third person (singular): ....
first person (plural): you make the other person feeling less alone in his reading
second person (plural): ....
third person (plural): this could be ok if it's class notes

There is no second-person singular in English, technically.

If you want to argue there is, you should have at least not split them up in to two sections.

humility

reading a math text should be like receiving a lecture

It’s the royal we reflecting the boundless arrogance of mathfags.

But then you sound like an autist showing your mom what you got up to in school instead of a haughty fuckwit who knows his shit.

We agree with that notion.

>t.brainlet

WE

Is the pic a proof, cause thats shit tier

Mathematicians are lonely so they create an illusion of company.

I'll keep using it as a majestic plural and there is nothing you can do about it.

>an easy way to avoid looking douchey

lol guilty as charged on that one