Last thread died. New recent purchases thread. Feel free to repost from last thread

Last thread died. New recent purchases thread. Feel free to repost from last thread.

Bought these 4 today. I never read science fiction but Ender's Game seems to be an essential from what I've seen poking around online.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Crime-Punishment-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199536368
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ender's Game is a great sci-fi book if you like "highbrow" literature like Death in Venice, the Immoralist, Plato's Symposium, etc. Good work, OP!

>Feel free to repost from last thread.

Sure.
How's the Rousseau?

I'm not sure, i don't read

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

Just bought it. Haven't read it yet.

did you read the pale king yet?

Ender's game is fine if you're a teenager. As an adult you'll realize how cardboard it is. It's really just a stand in to get to "Speakers for the dead" which is the second novel in the ender series, and is drastically different from ender in that it has nothing to do with military or supersoldiering and is incredibly boring.

R$12 (Brazilian currency - "reais"), or $4.

I'll try to get "To the Lighthouse" today, but that will be R$10.

Not all of these are new, but here's the stack beside my bed.

No

Started with La Bâtarde.

That photo quality is impressive.

$21 total

Atwood was $15 from the fancy store.
Chekhov and James were $3 each from the junk shop.

What is that cute book of love letters? Is it actually a collection of famous ones throughout history? Sounds neat.
More importantly, is Joyce to Nora included?

Mmmm, post a picture of your teeth please.

Reposting them again
Augustinus - Confessions
Camus - Novels and Novellas
Weöres - Eleven symphonies
Caesar - The civil war
And a poetry collection.

This came today

Pretty much bought blindly as the website didnt have much info, but i heard riverside editions are decent. Was a pain to find the unabridged text, which surprised me.

Ended up paying over the odds on delivery as at the time i needed it to come asap.

Also have laon and cythna in the post (broadview)

In the Miso Soup - Ryu Murakami
Accelerando - Charles Stross
Politics and the Other Side - Etienne Balibar
The Dick Gibson Show - Stanley Elkin

>P&V
Dropped

I also purchased a copy of On War by Clausewitz and Lives of painters, sculptors, and architects by Vasari

What made you pick up Of Human Bondage? It always catches my eye at the store but I never pick it up

$5 to fill up a box at the local thrift

Received my copy of Infinite Jest today
Happy Birthday to me

I'm always surprised when I see Brazilians with books, good for you man.

Speaker is better than Enders game though.

Reposting, if anyone's been to Barter Books in Alnwick, I got these from there. It's my favourite shop in the North East.

Lucky bastard, what a deal

Nice cops user
Tess is my favourite Hardy, enjoy

They had not sold it yet, so I picked up "To the Lighthouse" and this Norton anthology too for R$10 each.
The price for Woolf's book was OK, but the poetry one was a real bargain.

Because it's a classic and was dirt cheap. Not the best reasons, I know, but I can't resist a good deal on classics. Specially since new books are quite expensive here in Brazil.

You probably think we live in the jungle and play soccer with empty coconuts too.
Brazil is just a regular third-world country, man. Actually, even better than the majority of them.

Collection of love letters from famous writers, kings, musicians. I don't know if they were widely publicized outside of this collection, although I imagine some could be found on the internet. There are letters from Keats and Napoleon to their wives.

Nothing quite so explicit as the latter mentioned, unfortunately.

Another brazillian here. I can confirm we live in the jungle and the streets are filled with monkeys holding ak47s.

Five fucking dollars for all that? You hit me right in the feels, user.

is this a joke?

the writing is not much better than a young adult novel

About 25 dollars for all of these at Goodwill.

Got these recently as well. The Coover is a first printing, so I was pretty excited to find it for

By the way, I read The Book Thief over the weekend, and it was utter shit. It was repeatedly recommended to me by anyone who found out I read, and it reminded me that the average person only reads one book a year and thinks each one is the greatest of all time. Don't read it. It's going back to goodwill this weekend.

Everybody knows that book and its author are awful, user. I regret to inform you that you got memed .

thought that was obvious, its a muh holo-cost book as well so obviously it impresses the normies.

Jelly as hell. I can only ever find romance books and other pulp at the Goodwills near me.

I have to throw the normies in my life a bone every now and then. I read it, now I can hopefully get them to read one of my books. Of course, they'll steal it and give up 20 pages in. But still...

We went to six different Goodwills to get these, so don't feel bad. Half off day is like fucking Christmas.

Oh, I forgot, I also got a first edition hardcover Vineland at some random thrift store. I'll take a picture when I get home. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Fucking unbelievable that it was still there.

Guess I'll post this here since there is no stupid question thread:
I am looking to purchase a copy of Gombrich's The Story of Art, and am not sure whether to get the pocket edition or just the standard paperback Phaidon edition. Is it worth shilling out the extra 15 bucks for the bigger version?

>P&V

Good choices but
>trevor noah

Man, this thread proves that the pseudo-intellectualism here is off the charts.

How so?

These are the typical meme-recommendations posted here. It makes the impression these people read it because some board told them to, rather than genuine interest, self-didactics and -improvement. Why would read anyone literature for literature's sakes unless you study literature? Why not reading what someone is genuinely interested in?

For example, The Godfather is one of the most critical acclaimed movies in cinema history, but what little people knew is that the first two movies are adaptations of Mario Puzo's eponymous novel. I was curious on how the movies hold up in comparison to the international bestseller, and if the movies succeeded in conveying the generational conflict and romaticizing the Sicilian mob in comparison to Puzo's (Dostoyevsky influenced) original novel. And not because someone told me to read it, but because I wanted to gain knowledge.

Well *I* rarely have any meme books.
And I don't get my recommendations from Veeky Forums.

"I" could be anyone. Just my two cents on Veeky Forums since I think it's the only good board here, but the cirlclejerk in some threads here is undeniable.

Shit, that one's for you

So what do you want?
Point you to my stack or what?

Nigger, I didn't address you in my initial post. Why the fuck do you feel addressed then?

I feel a lot of things

You can feel me inside you then

OP here. A few more.

Kill urself

I'm the guy who's new to literature in general. Rate my latest 4 picks ups ( ready to be shit on again desu )

>dostoevsky
>junger
>augustine
>3/4 penguins

Why? These are based.

Are you meming? I always see P&V recommended around here.

These are all poem books but I barely understand them.

Here's all the shitty books I own

Finally finished the organon, still deciding if I want to spend 3-4 days on a companion to the Topics, but I started the Physics anyway.

>I always see P&V recommended around here.

Then you can't read, it's mentioned, albeit never positive.

Woman or Veeky Forums?

are you implying its a pedocore book

Great books, senpai.

Which are you reading at the moment? Are you enjoying?

Why do I keep seeing Augustine in stack threads now?

Is it the latest meme that I should cop?

Augustine isn't a meme. It's really good stuff.

Who do you recommend then? McDuff?

I'm not him, but Avsey for Brothers K for sure.
There's even an ebook on LibGen.

Please keep posting your purchases, anons.

Enders game was excellent.

Picked these up today. How'd I do Veeky Forums?

Noice.

Latest pickups:
Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged
Matthew Battaglioli - Consequences of Equality
Tolkien - The Silmarillion
4th Generation Warfare Handbook

I'm reading Notes at the moment. I'm really enjoying it. My first Dostoevsky novel and it's both humorous and thought provoking. Idk what I'll read after, probably Oblamov.

Read more Dostoevsky.

Am I not allowed my own tastes? I finished animal farm a month ago, so I may as well continue with Orwell

Bretty gud

I've been to Grettir's well in Northern Iceland. The locals were talking of Grettir so well, with such passion. You could almost smell the smoke and earth. Real storytelling. Not sure if I want to read any books in case is defecates on that memory.

>Of course, they'll steal it and give up 20 pages in.

And this is why I don't lend people books.

What about for crime and punishment? Oxford has some pretty good translations right?

amazon.com/Crime-Punishment-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199536368

Last night I bought 2666 and The Master and Margarita. Finishing up Kafka on the Shore right now, then I have to read The Ghost Map for class.

I haven't read their C&P, but I do trust Oxford editions. If not the best (like their Brothers K is), at least a good translation it certainly is.

Well I finished Notes today and I have to partially retract my previous statement. It isn't very humorous, past a few quips in his section while he outlines his philosophy ( Underground ). Overall it's still thought provoking and I found myself relating to much of the Underground Mans views, as " Apropos of the Wet Snow " becomes more depressing as he gives examples of his philosophy through the life of the young Underground Man.

Fantastic read and makes me want to read more Dostoevsky right away. Will probably go out and purchase a Penguin " Crime and Punishment " tomorrow as I was rused into buying a used Dover and don't want to slog through that.

Just got these in the mail this morning. GR and IJ get shitposted about so much on here that I decided I'd waste my money on them to see what all the fuss is about.

WE

WUZ

A good starting off point once you toss Coelho in the trash.