Are you kidding me!? I ordered $13 of food and and it comes to $25 with the tip!...

Are you kidding me!? I ordered $13 of food and and it comes to $25 with the tip!? Are they just adding random costs because people will pay it?

Yes

/thread

just don't tip

>mobileposters the post

Thank you for your inane bullshit.

Alright, let me explain something to you. Your job is not hard. You’re lucky society allows it to even exist. You think the customer couldn’t take his plate from the pass and work the fountain?

Your Basic Job
>Toss my plate onto the table.
>Fill my glass when I sit down.

That’s the bare bones of your job. If that’s all you’re willing to do, that’s fine. But know that your salary is commensurate to the difficulty of the task.

Your Real Job
>Place my plate on the table with a smile and a friendly “heeeeere you gooooo. :)” Yes, you need to be bubbly as heck.
>Refill my glass, and anything else I have that needs refilling, regularly, and without me having to flag you down like a goddamn Apache helicopter.
>Ask me midway through my meal if everything is okay.
>Do everything you can to rectify the situation if it’s not.
>Bring my bill promptly, but not before asking if I want to order dessert.
>If it’s very busy and food is slow coming, come to my table a little while after I order and apologize for the situation.

That’s what is EXPECTED of you. If you’re not willing to do that, that’s fine. But all that is what you get tipped for. You get tipped for doing an exceptional job. You get tipped for adding to the experience of the customer. Your job is to make me feel like a KING. Your job is to make me feel like less of an idiot for dropping $30 on $4 worth of food and $1 worth of energy and labor. Your job is to act like your ability to go to the drug store and pick up your baby's ear medicine depends solely on MY enjoyment of the evening, MY generosity, and MY wallet. I am your GOD.

I didn't order pasta.

The concept of tipped positions needs to be abolished. It's a simple as that. There's no reason to push the cost of an employee's wage on to the customer. And there's no reason for an employee to Hope that they get customers that are willing to cover the salary that the employer will not.

Most jobs are pretty easy when you get down to it. Type an email, hammer a nail, answer a phone etc.

Have you actually ever worked a job?

Yes, I have a well paying office job for an insurance company. It's a piece of piss honestly. Working in a restaurant during college was harder in some ways.

I'm a software developer. But I've worked at a chair Factory in the past. I make more than four times now what I did then. I spent half my days watching Netflix and the other half just piddling around with some code that I could write in my sleep. Job difficulty isn't what determines how much you make. It's how easily you are replaced.

100% guarantee the person that you replied to would not last a week in an actual service position.

Alright, that "hammer a nail," simile irked me. I worked my fair share of shit office and field jobs, but going into a trade actually takes mechanical skill. Tried framing a house, realized I was way in over my head, then have great respect for the tradesmen that I push buttons to create money for.

I hate tipping. its the biggest meme. If restaurant owners were to pay the proper wage to their employees then we wouldn't have this issue. Instead, customers are force to supplement labor costs to help greedy restaurants make a profit.

that's a pretty large delivery fee

You're getting food fucking delivered to you. So you're not just paying the cost of the food, you're paying to have someone come to whatever wretched place you live and hand it to you. Shut up and pay or get off your lazy ass.

He is there's a delivery fee included. No tip necesarry.

Delivery fee isn't a tip. It doesn't go to the driver most of the time. It's money going for gas essentially. Is it overpriced? Sure. Next time just go pick up your food yourself ffs.

Yet it clearly says the delivery fee is not a tip, and that a tip is expected. Which means in spite of the fee the drivers are underpaid enough to be reliant on tips. Which would lead me to the conclusion that people who don't tip probably should not be using this service. The same way people who don't tip shouldn't use use other services where tipping is part of the social contract, like restaurants with table service, bars and coffee shops.

Yes, it’s a service job. It’s not glamorous. If you have self esteem issues or you’re just too damn lazy, waiting tables is not the job for you. But at the end of the day, waiting tables is waiting tables. You’re not going to make Corvette money on a Honda level job, and you need to just get the hell over it. Because let me tell you, the waiters and waitresses who actually do the job for a living? They don’t pull out their iPhone 5S’s, with the unlimited data plan that mommy and daddy pay for, and tweet about how cheap bastards never tip. They go to their tables every day and they bust their asses to EARN their living. EARN their tips. That’s the job. It’s a little less “ugh, you know THAT table isn’t gonna tip” and a little more “can I top you off, hon?” That’s the tradeoff for a job that allows you to make a living without any education and with barely being literate.

Yes, there will always be those jackasses who wouldn’t tip even if you recited Shakespeare topless while they ate. But the vast majority of people WILL tip if they know they got good, attentive service. If you’re not willing to give good, attentive service, enjoy your $2 an hour. You’re getting paid for the amount of work you’re doing. Waiting tables is essentially commission work. If you’re not willing to actually do the job, well, good luck making a living.

And by the way? If I come to your place the first time, and get crap service, I don't tip. If I come back the second time, and you get all "oh, there's the nontipper, I'm not even gonna try", guess what - there will be no third time. You'll learn VERY quickly, in the unemployment line, the value of the dollars I give to your company, tips or not.

If tipping weren't a thing, restaurant would pay more in wages and your meal would still end up costing $25. Don't like tipping? Drive yourself, or better yet learn to cook.

Only the spergiest of sperglords ragefag over tipping.

kys shill

Stop being a fatass and pick up your own food. Problem solved

Dude my first job was two years at Domino's in the city, and after that I worked for four years in a steam propulsion plant that where temperatures got up to over 110F and I've had to work over 20 hours at a time trying to balance standing watch and fixing broken shit. You worked at a chair factory and you're telling me I couldn't last carrying someone's food to their table without spilling it. What the fuck do you know?

A fucking chair factory.

is this pasta?

>mfw I know that feel.

It's not food related, but the other day, I ordered a special Keychain as a gift for a friend. The keychain was $18, and they charged me FUCKING $10 SHIPPING. On a fucking keychain they'll probably drop in a padded envelope. I was pissed.

u first spergbitch

>user suggests cooking at home
>Must be a shill
Drink some bleach. For you they'll deliver free of charge!

Delivery was free for decades and the tips entire purpose was the convenience

how about you read something before agreeing to it like a normal person?

do you sign up for a loan without reading the fine print?

>for outstanding service
Ringing my doorbell and giving me my food is not outstanding service. No tip

jesus user, time to kill yourself

>being this dumb
People that hate tipping are generally ok with restaurants increasing prices to afford the increased wages. They have an issue with the notion that the customer should be directly providing a significant percentage of the pay for an employee of the restaurant.

shouldn't the tip be the delivery fee

>americans have waiters bring them the bill without asking for it first effectively making it the waiters choice when you are done eating
I don't understand this. Same with taking away a plate while other people are still eating. Rude as fuck

What's the delivery fee for?

I used to work at a pizza restaurant and as far as I remember none of the delivery drivers were paid extra.

Is it to make up for lost productivity since a member of the kitchen staff is gone out driving?

The point of threads like this is to put the social contract you are citing under scrutiny and criticize, that even if such a social contract should be considered common place in all of society, it leaves the fact, that it itself is only necessary because of structural misgivings in the industries that "require" tipping.

As an American, I can't either. I get visibly upset when a waiter does this, and it's because I've worked in a restraunt, I know they're not being polite or attentive. They're trying to get you to fucking leave so they can get some other fat ass at the table so they can make more tips. Which I get, but fucking ask me if I'm ready at least.

My wife's pet peeve is when a waiter brings her the check when we're obviously on a date. If you're not sure, just put it in the middle of the table, don't give it to the woman.

why would I tip when what I make hourly is less than them?

when I get stuff delivered I try to keep it under $20 and just hand the guy a $20

So the small business owner has to pay the wages of the servers?
How will they make a profit?

Then waste your gas to go get the fucking food.

>When I'm trying to have a conversation while eating and the autistic waitress keeps trying to interrupt because she wants that fucking tip

>be American
>go to a diner for breakfast
>pay $20 tip for $30 meal
>get shot by waiter because i didn't tip 80% minimum
>stumble outside and call 911, they say they'll send over the proper authorities right over
>tip the 911 operator
>police arrive and i groan with relief
>they shoot me a couple times because they took the groan as hostile behavior
>tip the cops as they handcuff me and put me in the ambulance
>arrive at the hospital
>tip the ambulance guys as they hand me a $10,000 bill for the ride
>get wheeled into OR to treat my wounds
>tip the doctors and nurses as they do the final stitching
>get billed $500,000 after being discharged, tip the receptionist
>get home
>finally able to relax after the whole ordeal
>or so i thought, the mortgage guys are over to get the next installment for my flimsy wooden house
>tip the bankers as they leave
>get a call from my boss, says im fired for missing work today
>tip the boss for his trouble
>later in the evening i shart myself because i wasn't able to get to the bathroom on time due to the wounds
>tip walmart

Do Americans really live like this?

American here, can confirm everything, million dollar bills, sharting, gunshot wounds and walmart, tips for everyone

>Bars and coffee shops
Bars ONLY if good cocktails/or very knowledgeable and attentive beer/wine person. Coffee shops absofuckinlutely not. It's coffee and I'm already paying 3+ dollars for it. It has the highest fucking margin of any food outside soda. If your employer can't compensate you on that margin take it up with them.

Get a car you lazy faggot

Most of the time they just threaten to pull the gun, it's rare that it even ever comes to a drawdown let alone shooting.

>complaining about a $4 dollar tip when you paid $6 for just taxes
You deserve a bullet lodged into your fucking skull

That looks like a papa johns order. Theyre such jews. No offense to jews, of course. But yeah expect to double the cost of your actual food with all the added costs.

>tfw live in Cali
>Servers get minimum wage which is fucking 11 dollars in my city
>Never tip guilt free unless it's a place I want to return too

that's a pretty steep delivery fee. What the fuck did you order? I work at a place and our delivery fee is only 2.50, which I think is more reasonable.

>the customer should be directly
I mean, they're gonna directly pay someone right? Oh right, a true gentleman launders his bill 3 times when dining out. I get it.

delivery fee should just be the tip. driver is already on the clock doing a job and being paid for it. the delivery fee doesn't go to the driver and therefore is unjustified. i'd love to see a papa johns exec justify the delivery fee "oh oh well... its because labor demand increases when the driver is out of the store and other people have to fold more boxes" or some shit.

It's not unjustified. What does the store have to gain by employing a driver and doing delivery? The delivery fee covers some gas money that goes to the driver, but only a portion. The rest of the fee what they make as a profit from delivery alone.

You asked:
>What does the store have to gain by employing a driver and doing delivery?

How about the entire business model of delivery pizza? HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrr

by going into a profitable business format

He didn't. Are you illiterate?

>I get visibly upset
>visibly
no one cares you ginormous faggot

delivery fees that aren't just an automatic tip are the second greatest jewish lie ever perpetuated

Delivery driver here. You're right, but it wont happen mostly because this position cannot really exist without tips. There's a reason most delivery places only maintain one car at most, it's expensive to deliver with a vehicle, the gas is the smallest thing when you consider the amount of maintenance for tires, engine, et cetera. And most drivers figure this out pretty fast, they realize that if they're not making tips they're going to be in the red, and obviously there's a solution - for the business to pay enough in mileage for the drivers to still make money, but why would they do that? It'd be a net loss for them.

The company keeps most of them, the rest is given to the driver as "mileage", usually a per delivery buck or two that they receive to pay for gas and car maintenance. It's a meme.

This. I briefly worked for The Papa, and it's true that we got ~$1.50 flat rate per delivery. We actually got paid the whole delivery fee, just not directly. You see, if you want to have enough drivers on hand to deal with the dinner rush, you have to pay them at least minimum wage while they're actually in the store waiting for a run. They're all just standing around doing fuck all for half the shift but you need them when business picks up so what you do, if you're The Papa, is you charge your customers an extra delivery fee because otherwise you couldn't keep enough drivers around to make consistent, prompt deliveries. I quit once I realized I was making literally below minimum wage after the cost of gasoline and maintenance. Food delivery is only economically viable in dense/affluent areas.

The cost of an employees wage is already on you from the moment you buy from them. When you order something you're paying for the maintenance guy, the guy at the register, the dudes that clean the toilets, the cook. The money you spend in an establishment is meant to pay for the people that work there, it's something you're already doing. If there were no tips the meal prices would be adjusted to reflect this. I don't get what's so hard to understand about this.

Are you?
>comes to $25 with the tip!?
>$25 with the tip!?
>with
>the
>tip
>!?

I work at Pizza Hut, drivers don't do jack shit other than drive unless they're the last driver of the night, in which case they'll help out closing if there's no deliveries

>adding random costs
Reading is hard eh?
You ordered $15 with of food.
You'll be charged about $5 for delivery service.
You'll be charged an additional $1.60 for tax which is legally required.
The due balance us $21, with an optional tip. Now what charge here is random?

>Yes, you need to be bubbly as heck.
Apart from writing like a complete faggot, this is the one thing you're wrong about. I want the waiter to display a subdued but genuine sort of friendliness.

Shit, a buck fifty? Our store pays like 50 cents per

Honestly that's a pretty transparent cost breakdown and it seems fair to me, the delivery cost would be the same regardless of the amount of food ordered so I think the service is more worthwhile if you're ordering for a larger group.

It didn't fucking matter, faggot, it was a gift. A specific gift my friend had asked for. If it had been something for myself, I would have said fuck that.

You could always come to Canada, where servers make 1-5$ more than min wage, and get tips.
A young female blond waitress here can pull in 50$+ per day in tips, on top of making like 80$ in wages after tax and deductions.

No, you ordered $15.52 of food and it came to $21.61 before tip.
assuming you tip 15% (which it high) your adding $3.24 to your bill giving you a total of $24.85 which is less that $25.00.
So your math is poor as poor as your ability to communicate.

No, you ordered $15.52 of food and it came to $21.61 before tip.
assuming you tip 15% (which it high) you are adding $3.24 to your bill giving you a total of $24.85 which is less that $25.00.
So your math is poor as poor as your ability to communicate.

>delete post
>only fix 1 of the 3 obvious grammatical errors on repost

I mean, I don't care, but if you're gonna care, commit to it.

especially since he's calling out the op's poor ability to communicate

Literally this.

I want you to bring me my food, my arnold palmer, and a refill exactly once through my meal, you don't have to say anything you don't have to be friendly, smile a little maybe, and wish me a nice day.

That's all it takes for a good tip