I'm 50 pages in; when does he get good? He's boring and writes long winded passages like a cavern and its arteries

I'm 50 pages in; when does he get good? He's boring and writes long winded passages like a cavern and its arteries.

>when does he get good?
last chapter

Reading is not for you.

>when does he get good?
When he asks you to call him Ishmael

Hmmph. We have different opinions I suppose. Melville infects his writing with a plethora of adverbs which by the way, produce endless ennui. He's not the writer Veeky Forums thinks him to be.

The way you wrote that first sentence pretty much cements your status as pseud trash. There's nothing wrong with disliking Melville, but your stated reasons for doing so and your self-presentation are both laughable.

lmfao

you been reading stephen king boy?

It was the third sentence that got me. I guess I'm just more forgiving of colloquialisms.

hang yourself by the shirt you sweat in, fuckwit

If his opening lines about the damp drizzly November of the soul didn't stir your heart you're already lost.

I didn't understand the meaning of the word "cringe" until now.

Put your head in an oven and jump in front of a cliff

it's good from the first sentence. start again

Liking Moby Dick is mere dilettantism

>stop liking what i dont like

You're not on /v/ anymore, cancerous cretin.

Stick to Twilight and Harry Potter, kid.

>last chapter

desu this. Also the whale is a fish

There are certainly dull periods in the book, but it requires focus to push through. It's one of my favorite books and I'd probably reread it if there wasn't so many other great books out there. Recently read the tale of the shipwreck Essex which is a real story which influenced Melville to write it.

On many questions with a result that can be sorted into a binary, such as liking or not liking and yes or no questions, people will disagree up and down the length and breadth of diversity of human intelligence.

Is this post-modernism?

I don't understand how you people cannot think Moby Dick is an incredible work of art, from the first to the last sentence.

Every single passage of writing is glowing with literary prowess. It is a powerhouse of a work. A masterpiece in every sense of the word.

Even the cetology chapters were you think nothing is happening couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I prefer the cetology chapters a lot of the time to the actual narrative.

It is not a novel. It is a divine piece of prose.

You can go ahead and admit you didn't understand the post you referenced. I hate PoMo, by the way; I don't know what's more disturbing, your lack of understanding of what you read, or your shallow invective against it.

What is there to understand? Do tell. How does this relate to the original statement "Moby Dick is for dilettantes"? I was jesting when I called your post "postmodernism" because it was unnecessarily abstrusive. There's nothing wrong with postmodernism, per say, except that it produces the spookiest of spooks. Like yourself.

Not to say Moby Dick is a bad book but it's terribly boring so far. Herman's speeches are something to marvel at, however.

>simultaneously claims there is nothing there to understand, and that it was difficult to understand
Well, which is it?

I think you need to pay more attention to what you are reading, to be honest. Because it is either that or your expectations of what the book would be that is ruining your experience of one of the greatest works of prose ever.

everyone knows the shit is filled with long boring passages about whales that would make balzac blush, what were you expecting?

truly epic vocabulary my friend. Have you used it to seduce local females?

pleb