McCarthy revealed that he respects only authors who "deal with issues of life and death...

McCarthy revealed that he respects only authors who "deal with issues of life and death," citing Henry James and Marcel Proust as examples of writers who do not rate with him. "I don't understand them," he said. "To me, that's not literature. A lot of writers who are considered good I consider strange."

Do Proust and James not deal with issues of life and death? I don't exactly understand what he means.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?t=80&v=TIQynsWpBpQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I only respect authors who deal with commas.

what he's saying is that all the babies in their novels have on fatal flaw: being alive

McCarthy writes about real men's subjects like blood and death and tortillas. Proust and James are a pair of pansies trying to look clever with semicolons and subordinate clauses and so on.

hes a conservative edgelord who started writing because he didnt want to get a job

it doesnt mean anything

I tried to read a Cormac McCarthy book and thought, Why doesn’t this cocksucker use quotation marks? I picked up another Cormac McCarthy book and saw that there were six or seven consecutive pages in Spanish. I didn’t know what it meant.

If you can successfully avoid having a job, you've just superseded the pointless Sisyphean fate of life. If you really think having a job is meaningful, it just means you're a brainwashed subservient who's too stupid to see past arbitrary dogma. It's sad that people in our society are so brainwashed that they can't see that a job is just a pointless endeavor which distracts from doing things you could decide you want to do, because you don't need to worry about money.

Deep

He focuses on larger themes of being human. He doesnt care much for writing that may include an eighty page aside on what someone said once at a tea party.

Only if you are rich

I'm just pointing out the absurdity of saying that Mccarthy shouldn't be taken seriously because he doesn't have a job.

Shut up ellroy

basically means he's a pleb (as if his books weren't enough evidence on their own)

>He focuses on larger themes of being human. He doesn't care much for writing that may include a large theme of being human.

K.

If it makes you feel any better, McCarthy's Spanish is hilariously forced. He doesn't use it toward any benefit like someone who actually speaks the language would. Instead, he uses it as cutsie flair like someone who just learned some phrases in 101 would.

Well his favorites are Dostoevsky, Melville and Faulkner. Compare them to the manners of Proust and James.

It's nonsense, but writers often are. Nabokov hated Dostoevsky and Faulkner, Voltaire disliked Shakespeare, Proust and Joyce were indifferent to each other, Samuel Johnson hated Sterne, and so on.

He's quoting James ellroy

but it doesn't make you a good writer.

McCarthy, when he's talking about "life," is actually talking about people intensely agitated by something. Not the everyday. Basically, he's emotionally numb. This renders him incapable of reading or writing in a nuanced and humane way about social life and personal life like the writers he doesn't understand. It's a serious flaw in his writing, and it actually cuts him off from reaching the heights of Shakespeare. He's otherwise very skilled. But his novels will always smack of somebody being important. He only accidentally reaches something like genuine personal intimacy in The Road.

I think you may have autism

Excellent post

holy shit my sides, did your mom just make you get your first job or something? lolll edgelord in the house

I guess he didn't make it to volume three of ISoLT. The narrator makes it pretty damn clear that his grandma dies. How is that not dealing with death?

Bloom says Blood Meridian is the best novel since As I Lay Dying

As I Lay Dying is far superior because it's funny.

That was honestly the plebbiest thing I've read this whole week and I can't believe it came from a renowned author like McCarthy.

BTFO'D

I think McCathy's going to turn to writing nonfiction soon. I don't think he was ever really suited to writing fiction. He's a philosopher or anthropologist who slouched or fell into fiction.

This is why he's so good, it's powerful autistism

it's clearly an issue of masculinity; proust's personal issues vs something like céline's issues - think of it like an american football fan with a madonna-whore complex and a howlin wolf fan with a whore-whore complex

It might be a jealousy passed off as a dismissal.

I know if I was an author and i was great but I read others who came just before me who dealt with maybe similar subjects it'd be easy to be threatened by them and to dismiss them instead.

Of course like other people said, sometimes when you're really great you just plain hate others styles and even their personalities, (orson with woody)

what the fuck are you going to grow to sustain your body by your trailer that you dont pay rent on mister welfare queen??

it better be weed or else you will sink financially and then ernest hemmingway yourself

Proust is a sissy fuck

Writing 4000+ pages about remembering shit after he ate a piece of pansy cake that mommy made

Kill yourself you little dork

THIS fuck proust or protest as I like to call him

prolest*

It's pronounced PROLE-st as in "prole" and not PROE-lest like "protest"

youtube.com/watch?t=80&v=TIQynsWpBpQ

he's based

>insulting someone for being conservative and then criticizing them for not having a job

what is even the point of modern liberals? do you not understand your own ideology?

No, he insulted him for being an edglord, just one of a conservative flavor.
Lrn2reed

James certainly does, and I rate him far above mccormick