What is the best vodka to cook with? I've used Tito's when making sauce, but it comes out a little too acidic

What is the best vodka to cook with? I've used Tito's when making sauce, but it comes out a little too acidic.

Whichever one Google tells you.

why even cook with vodka
it barely even has a flavor

For me the best cooking alcohol has usually been the best drinking alcohol. So if we're going by that rule then I'd suggest trying an imported brand called hammer and sickle.

It's one of my favorites and drinking it cold makes it go down like water.

My thouhgts exactly. I'm so fed up of meme ingredients that just add moerw tiem to cooking and nothing else

It's good for extracting flavor.
Because it has no flavor.
Not sure about cooking with it. It's added to keep something from freezing. Such as to keep ice cream soft.

some flavors are alcohol-soluble. having a flavored alcohol can mask those flavors.

Alcohol is a solvent. It extracts flavors from the other ingredients.

I thought you had to pass Chem 101 in order to be old enough to post here?

this
the alcohol extracts flavors from the ingredients and then evaporates during cooking which leaves behind those flavors in your sauce or whatever

yeah, its gets used in ice cream or sorbet too you see that all the time on iron chef

>Alcohol is a solvent. It extracts flavors from the other ingredients.
You're not wrong, but the argument you're making can also be made for water.

What about non-polar solutes?

I never made it myself but isn't the vodka in vodka sauce for keeping the tomatoes and cream from separating?

Yes, of course water does that. That's the whole point of stock, for example, and that's one of the most fundamental parts of cooking.

But there are some compounds which are not water-soluble but are soluble in alcohol.

And still others are fat-soluble.

No. You don't need to add anything for that. And many vodka sauces lack dairy entirely. It helps get more flavor out of the tomatoes.

somebody should do a blind taste test.

make two pasta dishes with identical ingredients and preparation, except one has vodka.

see if anyone can tell the difference.

The differenced between decent vodkas are barely detectable even if you drink them neat. As long as you aren't using rotgut bottom shelf shit full of congeners, it's not going to make a difference in the flavor of food. Titos is fine, although I'd use Sobieski or Svedka or Mono because they're cheaper. No vodka or distilled spirit generally should have any appreciable acidity.

use popov

Yes and water is used in cooking extensively

I'm up for that challenge, brb...

...ok just completed both and they taste exactly the same.

There is no way anyone can differentiate different vodkas in cooked food.

>water and ethanol
>ethanol is a little basic (opposite of acidic)

tastes acidic

What did he mean by this?

You're missing the point, retard. This thread is about using vodka. If water did the same job people would use that instead so obviously there's more to it than "it's a solvent."

>completed challenge in 2 minutes
Thank you, Jamie Oliver.

You know different things can dissolve different things right?

We've been over that already. See

literally the only good use for vodka in cooking that comes to mind is making concentrated extracts (vanilla, orange peel, coconut, almond, etc.)

It's not even that good for that. Everclear (grain alcohol) is far superior for extracts. The less water involved the more potent the extract will be.

You should be using grain alcohol and distilled water you retarded fuck