Beans

What's with this meme about beans etvc having tons of protein?
They have like 10 times less protein than meat and fish

Other urls found in this thread:

ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nobody says they have tons, they say they have it.

I literally hear people saying it's better than animal products

Dry beans have about 20g protein per 100g just as most animal flesh does. It just dilutes to around a half of that when you boil em.

Are you sure they claim that it has more protein, and not that it's better because less saturated fat, more fiber etc.

Definitely the protein claim

It's better than animal products because it doesn't come with just as much saturated fat

>30% fat
Woah...

I think that site is messed up, since it puts tofu at 48g a 100g, whereas sources I trust more put tofu at around a bit over 10g per 100g.

The same sources put cod and other white fish around 20g per 100g protein. It might have 63% of its calories from protein, which might be the source of their confusion, but the idea of cod or tofu being that protein packed sounds like bullshit.

that's dried beans, and fatty ground beef is one of the worst animal products to ingest for protein if you're worried about the amount of protein per 100g.

They're also cheap as fuck, unlike most animal flesh.

I have found this to be the most reliable source of information regarding nutritional content:
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/

The discrepancies for tofu are easily explained since there are many kinds of tofu, and another factor is whether or not the water was drained out before the measurements were taken.

>>but the idea of cod or tofu being that protein packed sounds like bullshit.
Why? What else would they be made from? There are only 4 sources of calories: protein, fat, carbs (sugar) and alcohol. There ain't much sugar, alcohol, or fat in cod or tofu.

Cheap as fuck
No Antibiotics
Filling

I'm just skimming through wikipedia pages for nutritional data. Lean meat and fish average around 25g protein per 100g weight, whereas cooked legumes average around 10g protein per 100g weight. As for the discrepancies in the tofu it's because of the water content. Extra firm tofu will be on the high end, and soft will be on the low end of protein content by weight. It varies from brand to brand, so you just have to read the label of the package at the store.

Cooked, they have roughly 2.5x less protein than meat and fish by weight.

Why the fucc do beans have do many calories?

Use your brain bro. Beans are seeds of plants. They not only contain the plant's embryo, but also enough energy (calories) to sustain that plant until it can grow enough roots and leaves to sustain itself.

>beans etvc having tons of protein
#justveganlies

You forgot "have loads of plant estrogen analogs that make you grow manboobs".

>Why? What else would they be made from?

Water. I meant that 63g protein in 100g sounds wrong.

Jesus christ, /pol/, fuck off already.

Anyway, beans are good for fiber, but are shit for everything else. They add nothing to any dish except a mushy filler.

They do have a lot of protein by weight, but who cares about the weight? The percentage of energy coming from protein is what should be counted.

> /pol/
Am I missing something? Is manboobs racist or something, or is calling someone /pol/ just the new "gb2reddit looser"

no it's: manboobs is not manly therefore it is degenracy

>"muh jews pushing foods high in estrogen to make men more feminine"

>Anyway, beans are good for fiber, but are shit for everything else.
They're as high in nutrients as leafy greens we're told to eat. A cup of beans takes care of your macros and micros. About as good a deal as you're going to find in a food item. I think only yogurt is better even though it doesn't have any fiber.

Give him a break. He's just a subtle shill for the companies pushing anti-estrogen drinks and pills on rightwing talk shows and websites.

What a world where a man who doesn't want man boobs is a shill

>what a world where a man is so cucked by rightwing loonies that he believes eating vegetables turns men into women

ftfy