Define postmodernism

Belief in irony as sincerity.

>no y axis
pls no

on the right

>progression of movement = y axis
>tradition - avant-garde = x axis
pls no

The literary and artistic period that followed modernism.

what follows after modernism

more like a WHY axis amirite?

art about art

The end of metanarratives

>le nothing but periodization meme
Jameson didn't die for this

we're in post-postmodern times currently, which is essentially meme culture.

the 90's were postmodern, and they curtailed into a brief period of classicism, and then were catapulted almost back to the 90's in a way that is expressed by new technology.

Avant-garde movement following modernism characterized by rejection of larger narratives (probably the most important aspect), blending high & low culture (debatable, but often said), irony, genre pastiche, meta elements, and deconstruction, poststructuralism & intersectionality (in criticism). Part of the reason that it is difficult to define postmodernism is its rejection of metanarratives. This is really the best definition I can give, despite being just a collection of attributes that postmodern art/culture objects sometimes embody.

Basically these, combined.

End of value structures as oppressive and deconstruction of individuality. Inseparable from neo marxism as organizing the world into groups, oppressor vs oppressed

Cancer

no

It's really only way HOW to define it, otherwise it can be defined BY certain attributes.

Cancer

I've always thought about it as stoicism but instead of not letting emotions affect your reason, you acknowledge that they do and just don't give a shit anyway.

"Maybe I shouldn't kill those people because I am angry and anger affects my feelings"
Vs.
"I am going to kill those people because I am angry, even though I know anger affects my reason--but I don't care"

There's something terribly sad and banal about it

>Gertrude Stein on "Non-Representational Abstract"
cum on step it up

Arrive late to a party and have to drink warm beer.

The end of a metanarrative, rather. Islam will take over in Europe if postmodernism isn't stopped. Despite the trillion dollar industry bombing the sand people, they'll still sing the song of their people, and not ours.

3/10

>the "le end of le metanarrative" meme
Yeah, because the internet doesn't exists.

>Bergman's films being subjective reality
no (aside from Persona and maybe Seventh Seal)

How exactly is the internet a meta-narrative? It's a place with a billion different voices and viewpoints,pretty much exemplifying postmodernistic pluralism

Seriously though, what is the literal effect of postmodernism on the Islamic world?

We might have a few color revolutions in Asia, but I doubt it will have a lasting effect. Even Russia and Eastern Europe seem immune to the toxin.

Postmodernism is just a brainfart that killed the arrogant parts of Europe.