This thing is fucking amazing

This thing is fucking amazing.

What does it do?

Its not "what does it do", its what it does.

Isn't that like, a copyright infringement machine?

It's a document scanner. A book scanner if you want. Non destructive.

Well technically, yes.

it's just a fucking camera attached to a board

What it do?

Does it automatically turn the page after every scan? No? Then I'm not interested.

It be what it does (this is actually true)

Copyright is a state-sanctioned monopoly on knowledge. It's the legalized hoarding of information-based power.

In my sophomore year of college I discovered this machine and challenged myself to stop buying books for class. thanks to my university library (which has 90% of my textbooks) and online pdfs Iv saved $500+ so far in just over a year and a half.
fucking love this thing

publishing houses are fucking cartels which operate in direct opposition to human progress.
If one can get one over on them then they should be encouraged to do so.

you're too lazy to be helped.

I want to form an anarchist cell whose whole purpose is to take books, type all of their text on computers and publish the files for the whole world

scans are cool, but technically limited compared to proper word documents, e-book files, etc.

anyone wanna join? I'm gonna call it the anarchist typist-monkeys. we will first go and steal some old mechanical keyboards from a garbage dump to do our typing on.

When it scans a page does it correct the page curvature?

stfu commie

made me kek

true

>you're too lazy to be helped.
not him, but turning the pages is the most tedious job when scanning a book. if a device doesn't do that for me I'll stick with the setup I'm currently using, it can't turn pages, too.

I mean I havn't done it for a job but I copied like 100+ pages in under 20 minutes. this includes time spent reorienting the book and deleting bad scans.
Its not an ideal process and I dislike reading from scans, but if it saves me money I really cant complain.
Eventually I'm sure there will be a better alternative

dude you're way behind
any scanner can OCR the document probably as accurately as a human would type it out, and save it as a PDF
many recent word processors can edit PDFs just like they were native documents

Which processors, and how expensive of scanners? not even the huge one from my University Library can OCR.
I should probably upgrade from word 07 then?

Wut? Even my cheap Canon scanner can create a text file or a PDF with OCRed text that is reasonably accurate from a clear source. it has some problem with mixing up things like "m" and "in" in some fonts but a quick proofread is usually enough.

Word 2013 and 2016 can open PDFs and work on them like native documents although PDFs with complex layouts don't transfer well.

holy shit, maybe someday this tech will be able to differentiate "rn" from "m"

Which incentivises creation. It eventually expires, because yes, knowledge is good for everyone. I'm okay with this. Fucking broke ass wannabe commies. Use you're library if you're poor.