What's your secret, Veeky Forums?

What's your secret, Veeky Forums?

i believe i can fly

Hash oil

Anise and dried tarragon in nearly everything I cook.

Cayenne :^)

small amounts of curry on anything that has carbohydrates except for white rice

unholy amounts of salt.

Soy or Fish Sauce, depending on the application.

Curried rice is good, my man.

hello chef john

can you give typical use cases for both?

garlic salt! In everything! Eggs, meats, vegetables, Im italian but it makes everything a million times better

Fish sauce for boil, steam or to add at the beginning of cooking process. Soy sauce for finishing or adding as a condiment. Fish Sauce is superior, Three Crab brand in particular, but the smell needs to be cooked off.

Zinc, pineapple and creatine

Tumeric
Fresh herbs (though that's not much of a secret)
MSG

Parsley
Ginger
Garlic salt

Unsweetened cocoa powder!

Family keeps trying to guess what that mysterious flavor is in my curries, chilis, and gravies, and none of them have figured it out yet.

fenugreek

You can even add fish sauce to sweet dishes. I add it to my banana breads, you can't taste the fishiness after it cooks but it's basically liquid msg, makes everything else stand out.

Umami in everything.

Cyanide

This sounds good.
Original fish sauce guy, do go on...

Why not just use msg?

Thyme in fucking everything

I use about 1kg of paprika per year.

Fresh Rosemary and fresh basil especially when basil is in season like right now. I also like cumin, curry, cloves, garlic, red peppers, jalapeno etc. I rarely use them all at once but my food is always well seasoned

Dill Weed, If there's butter on it there's dill on it. It's like my favorite thing.

There's more to umami than glutamates.

Dill is good
So is Hungarian paprika

hella cayene

Butter

Nutmeg

Really, a few scrapes of nutmeg to finalize a dish gives it that subtle savoriness that's also just a little tough to discern.

Excuses

For sauce, usually a small dash of Dijon mustard.

Instant coffee powder in bolognese

Cum.

Love, aka giving a shit and trying to do things the right way rather than the easy way. Tempered of course with practicality and the understanding that sometimes the easy way isn't different enough to justify the "right" way.

>hungarian
wew, those Hungarians and their peppers, right?

since this is sort of a spice thread I'll ask here, what basic spices should you have in house, I'm planning on restocking some.
Also I'm buying some dried oregano but this shop sells either 150g for 5eu or a whole kilo for 10, so I'm tempted to buy a kilo but a kilo sounds like more than I'll ever use in 10 years or not?

Yep. Vegemite in basically everything.

These two for me.

>what basic spices should you have in house
Impossible to answer without knowing what styles of food you cook. Obviously a person cooking mostly Western style is going to have totally different spices from someone cooking Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc..

Don't buy a kilo. It will turn to flavorless dust long before you use it all. A kilo of spices is a HUGE amount.

PHS
Combination: Black Pepper, H.Wax Pepper, and Cumin

I always add a tiny dash of milk into everything

Cardamon in savory and sweet.
Gives a ginger-like taste without it being ginger

That's a lot of MSG.

Marmite. It's literally the best ingredient for stews or roasts.
Lemon juice for everything else, and thyme when that doesn't cut it.

So your secret is that your season your food?

cook sauce for 4 hours and then use food mill

>Ingredients
Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein (water, wheat protein, salt), Water, Flavourings (with wheat), Flavour Enhancer (monosodium glutamate, disodium inosinate), Salt, Sugar

Literally MSG in a bottle. Nice.

My secret isn't actually a secret, it's called knowing when certain ingredients can go together.

When you cook, the best thing to do is focus on 2 things: simplicity and what you wish the dish to taste like, it is good to picture the idea for the meal in your mind so you have an idea of what to cook rather than throwing in ingredients that will ruin, overcomplicate or be wasted in your dish.

>My secret isn't actually a secret, it's called knowing when certain ingredients can go together.

Look at me everybody! My secret is knowing how to cook! :^) Try being a tad less obnoxious next time.

There's no need to get upset. I understand eating mcchickens all day really fucks up your palate but sometimes you just have to suck up the fact that not everything can go together.

It's obnoxious to think you can make every ingredient work together, not the other way around and if you actually knew how to cook you wouldn't think what I said was obnoxious at all. Take a breather.

Haven't posted in this thread before and I don't plan to aside from saying that you sound like a tool who probably cooks boring food.

Real life isn't a fucking anime OR ratatouille you stupid weeaboo, there's no such thing as a *unsheathes secret ingredient* that beats the bad guy. Grow up.

generally when people talk about secret ingredients it's for a specific dish or set of dishes not some special shit they put in literally every dish because if it were then it would just be an image of MSG and that would be that. Telling people that your secret ingredient is knowing what flavours work well with each other is beyond pretentious and smarmy. We're talking about doing something that others might not have thought of or unconventional additions to a recipe that make it taste so good like the user adding fish sauce to banana bread.

What's the point of knowing how to cook well if nobody wants to be near you.

>make it taste so good
>adding fish sauce to banana bread

Okay, I'm fucking done HAHAHAHAHA. wa la! bone apple teeth my fellow chief the party!

I doubt your cumin in anything

MSG and hiding blended up sauteed onions that cooked for 40 minutes into nearly every dish I make

>Zinc, pineapple and creatine

I'm assuming for increased amount of ejaculate and to make it taste sweet for your boyfriend?

This guy gets it, also great with rice or quinoa.

Who hurt you?

I substitute cottage cheese instead of eggs in every recipe. No one is the wiser.