Anyone else here not give a damn about science and math but are in college for it for the money?

Anyone else here not give a damn about science and math but are in college for it for the money?

Yeah. My counselor gives me so much shit about it and always calls me out.
>what do you want in life?
Money.
>but no, I mean what would make you happy?
Money.
>no, I don't thing you understand the question. What do you want to be, to do?
I want to not be poor anymore. IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO GRASP. I WANT TO BE RICH. we don't get along very well.

I'm here for both boi. I fucking love making money and I fucking love knowing how everything works.

Me. I have a mild interest in math and programming, but most of my interests are in the humanities. I want to start a company someday, so I picked industrial engineering because that's the one with the least physics in it.

You won't go far if you don't have a passion for it

Damn, I would typically shit on you but I feel bad because you are poor. You know, sometimes I am so happy that I am not poor because being poor makes you shortsighted. Yeah, I know the only reason I can indulge my autism is because I have so much money regardless. Even Ramanujan had to constantly beg for money from his university because his life was that fucking shit. We are lucky for some reason he went through and still indulged his autism.

I feel bad for you, but I hope you do become your rich.

no it just pisses me off because you have these rich kids majoring in bullshit like art just cruising through college because they know they will just fall back on their daddies money
>just do what makes you happy bro
People like me have real consequences if we fuck up college.

going into arts can be very profitable but only if you're really lucky

Well, I think no one respects art majors. Not even their parents. I am talking more about STEM. I majored in math but I know that if I was poor I would have majored in engineering because then my thirst for money would be like yours. I would not care about "self-expression" and "mathematical beauty". The only mathematician beauty I'd want is big numbers in my bank account. But I was blessed with middle class parents and I know being a college professor is enough to reach that. Plus I will inherit property which I can sell. Plus I come from a family with businessmen and doctors who would bail me out. Etc. etc.

I suspect over 99% of people in Stem programs. Fuck them

*but only if your parents are millionaires with connections in the art world.

Watch Adam Ruins the Art Industry

You could tell your counselor that financial security will allow to worry less and be happy more.

> I mean what would make you happy?
This question assumes that what you think will make you happy will actually make you happy.

Even if you don't know for certain what will make you happy, avoiding what you know you don't like is a good start.

>know what makes you unhappy
>but don't know what makes you happy
?

They aren't mutually exclusive.
You can know starving sucks without knowing what food tastes the best.

Can someone please tell me what the fuck is wrong with wanting money? Like , questions like "what makes you happy?" bother me a lot because what makes me happy IS money. I'm not poor, but I'm not rich either. I want to be a billionaire and make my autism worth it. I see it like chessplayers see them becoming world champions. I'm a 21 year old kissless non-virgin (lost it with a hooker), incapable of building any relationship with women because I'm literally too afraid and unmotivated to do anything to get someone. I've been bullied for 10+ years and all my life I've been dealing with dysthymia and low-self esteem. Fuck, if I can't get a girlfriend and have self-esteem just let me be happy about at least one thing.

>but money is meaningless and superficial
No more than acquiring knowledge. You, like everyone else, is going to die someday and that knowledge will go away. If you contribute with something, people will use your knowledge, but the same can be said about money: once I die, my family or whoever they decide to donate it to, will be able to enjoy my wealth and have a fullfilling life without ever worrying about paying their bills.

>wanting money is a symptom of getting bullied and being rejected by women.

bruh I wanna stop being poor too but science is more important

Wanting food is a symptom of starving. That doesn't mean seeking it is bad.

What will getting money even do. Fucking a hooker is no different from dating a gold digger.

I don't want money to get girls. I just want it to feel good about something in my life.

>Feeling good about being a slave of capitalism
Hey more power to you but you could have picked a better thing to feel good about.

I wanna be able to afford cool shit but obviously that's not as important as science so science > money

I'm in it because I like what I'm studying and want to be a smug smart fuck instead of just acting like one. Also money because being working class sucks dick

Having money gives you more choices and freedom.
I don't think there are many women who would see more money as a bad thing.
Why do you think money is evil?

it's the root of all evil: mo' money, mo' problems

That's why rich people just pay other people to deal with their problems

That is precisely the ideology I would try to instill in the masses to reduce my competition.

>feeling good about being a slave to knowledge
Hey more power to you but you could have picked a better thing to feel good about.

Kill yourself commie.

Only if you're foolish with your money will having more of it give you more problems.

OP, there's nothing wrong with wanting a lucrative career. But you should be extremely vigilant about golden handcuffs. When you're 25 it's not as hard to power through week after week of a job you find unfulfilling as long as you have that sweet paycheck and some fun shit to do on your off hours. When you get older and tireder, less of your time will be spent enjoying your money and more will be spent recuperating from work. Don't let yourself burn out like I did because "well yeah the stress and constant thankless futility makes me want to shoot myself every day, but the money's so nice." The money may only make up for it for so long, and when it doesn't anymore, life really starts to suck no matter what you make.

So go into STEM and get your money. Enjoy some of it but put absolutely as much into savings as you can stand. Then if you should hit a wall around age 35 or 40, you can move into a less lucrative career but still have a nice retirement. Along the way you may have developed some side hobbies that you can turn into a business, and that's a good time of life to do it. And if you don't hit a wall, and you're ok with your job, keep saving up and enjoy an early retirement. Just don't go hog wild with that paycheck and spend your 20s and 30s blowing it all, or you may have a lot of regrets down the road.

>feeling good about beating capitalism by being poor af

This right here. I've been homeless for about 5 years. Why is it so damn wrong for me to want to get my CS degree so I can make money?