Other urls found in this thread:

abaisse.the-barricade.net/viewtopic.php?t=2219
youtube.com/watch?v=_EOla4fbRFM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Way too many happy coincidences, but it's a romantic novel, so that's a given

what book is this?

It's in french.

anyone recommend the best translation?

hugo was a delusional religionfag and the entire thing is permeated by his demented christian ramblings

hmmmmm

Sounds exactly like Steppenwolf, but in a French coating

It's about France.

No other country can even compare, this is a French world and we're just living in it

too long.

Massive exposition for an obviously educated, even in his time, readership.

Slapdash comedian.

Not at all. Steppenwolf was more about unlearning than learning.

hmm

Too long.

I did not need to know the exact layout of the Paris sewers to understand where I was.

The unabridged version has catastrophic pacing issues because of that kind of thing. Just when things get exciting you are shat upon with forty pages of historical information. I found it fascinating upon a second reading of the book because I was less focused on the overall story, but on my first reading I found it quite infuriating.

Good book, just annoying.

I'd reccomend the Lee Fahnestock and Norman Macafee. It's the midway between literal and liberal translations, being both fine to read and close to the original wording, poetry and meaning.
Also if memory doesn't fail me it has notes explaining the puns.

Here's a post about translations from the Les Mis forums, which unfortunately I think are quite dead.
abaisse.the-barricade.net/viewtopic.php?t=2219

Come on fags
>favorite character
>favorite scene
>favorite quote
>favorite digression

Mario

The entire digression and scene about Gavroche and his gang in the elephant, as well as his parentage.

Unrelated, but good: youtube.com/watch?v=_EOla4fbRFM

It's a made up book from a meme
The other half is some made up YA plotline

>tumblr

Who is this semen demon?

Definitively this. The scene with Montparnasse is thr best. Also, Thenardier was a pain in the neck; but on a re read he grew on me

Well that's a picture of Dostoyevsky, but I'm almost certain he's written no such book.

Great post user!

Fuck, I can't choose one for most of these.

>favorite character
Eponine, Valjean, Javert.
>favorite scene
Eponine's death, Javert's death, Valjean slowly distancing himself from Cosette, eventually getting to a point where he just walks by her house every day, followed by the deathbed scene.
>favorite digression
The monasteries.

Cosette is the Rei to Eponine's Asuka. Eponine is best girl.Misato is best Evangelion girl, but Les Mis doesn't really have an equivalent.

>Who other than Jean Valjean?
>Either the sewers or Jean 's moral struggle to admit that he's the convict when he could have let someone else take the blame for his identity
>Can't think of any off the top of my head, but the dialogue with the Bishop and the supposedly-godless societal outcast at the beginning I remember had some good ones
>Waterloo, hands down

>Marius, Javert, Grantaire, Bossuet, Thénardier...
>Tempest in a Skull (Valjean's dillema), Javert arresting the Patron-Minette, everything with Marius, everything from the Paris sewers onwards
>Fantine's mologue beggin Javert to spare her because it felt so fucking real
>On the monasteries