Is it true that it's easier to get published bc im a nonwhite female?

is it true that it's easier to get published bc im a nonwhite female?

Probably. Just write something actually good and then shame those who let you off easy.

luck and timing play in to being successful. right now it's trendy to be non-white and female. this is your chance. dont fuck it up.

but the thing is that im young and have no previous works idk

Rupi Kaur got published.

That should be all the answers you need.

thats poetry right

i want to write YA

If you can call that poetry.

Memes aside, of course you won't be published JUST because you're a nonwhite female. But you'll have it way more easy than everybody else, at least for the next couple of years. Please, let it be only a couple of years more...

Anyway, if you play your cards right, yeah, it's way easier to get published because you're a nonwhite female.

>have no previous works idk
getting published the first time is the hardest. this is where it pays to have a name like DeSquasha-Beyonce Jackson

even though im american, i have an african last name. should i take a generic pen name or stick with my complicated last name?

No. It's just something jealous fags think is true to rationalize their lack of talent.

>should i take a generic pen name or stick with my complicated last name?
are you submitting to agents now? if it were me i would go with a generic name so i would know i was being judged on my work. if i got piles of rejections i would switch to the complicated last name.

why shouldnt i use my name to my advantage

Did you ever have a pens? That would be a funny story.

>why shouldnt i use my name to my advantage
well your reading comprehension is nigger-tier. i said START with a generic name to have an idea of how your work is judged against everyone else AND IF THAT DOESNT WORK fall back on the complicated last name. fucking niggers

Reading this for the first time. These are just platitudinous sentences; things women want to hear, arbitrarily split up into lines. I am shaking my to be quite honest, my familiar.

*penis - auto-correct strikes again.

If Rupi is a dude then he is a god tier mangina.

rupi regretting all his shitposting on women's facebook pages

oh my god what is this shit

female? definitely
nonwhite? well there are publishers that only publish nonwhite authors, so if you target them, then probably. for mainstream publishers, probably not, really.

why arent you talking about agent submissions? why does everyone talk about submitting directly to publishers instead of getting an agent first? submitting to publishers is what you do after every agent has turned you down. after that self-publishing.

Be a nonwhite female and write about your vagina. It's a surefire way to get published

hey don't look at me user it's nothing to do with me

it's just this board in general. all the aspiring writers here seem to be totally clueless about the publishing process. they talk about getting rejected by publishers when 99% of publishers wont even look at your manuscript unless you have an agent and getting rejections by mail like the publishing industry hasnt switched over to email. it makes me wonder if anyone here that claims to be seriously writing is just RPing as a cliche failed writer and they dont really have any completed work.

This. Screenwriting user here and I know the first thing to getting your shit printed/produced is you need an agent/submit to many competitions. Most places don't want unsolicited work because the amount of nobodies that will submit their first draft of their Twilight My Little Pony Fallout 3 fanfiction shit is immense. At least having an agent weeds out the shittiest from the shit.

the question wasn't about the publishing process though, only its end result

YA is the genre most guilty of publishing based on skin color. Just make sure it's sufficiently edgy, and crank up the adolescent irreverence.

The fuck? How are there three people in a row on Veeky Forums who don't know Rupi Kaur? Did someone post this in /r9k/?

yup, and even if you're fortunate enough to get an agent the chances of getting your work accepted by a publishing house are still very low.

also, i think i saw you the other day? commenting on "daydreamers vs. doers"?

Sorry user, I don't think that was me.

guess there's more screenwriters here than i thought then

>finished novel
>started submitting to agents
>started coming to Veeky Forums

to be honest i've only been checking this place out for the last two weeks.

It's more acceptable to bring up screenwriting on here than it is on /tv/ from my experience. I try to avoid /tv/ as much as I can.

gotcha. man im glad im not making a go at screenwriting. seems like it would be impossible to get noticed without ivy league credentials or good connections. how are you coming along?

I'm currently developing/structuring a comedy, a thriller and a UK grime drama. I try staying optimistic that if I can develop a variety of scripts it'll show versatility which hopefully will interest an agent, but I'm also going to submit to competitions when I can afford to (recently finishing up a feature length comedy which led to me winning an award so I'm going to spread my net wide and submit everywhere I can with it).

I also feel that I can always improve and I'm currently trying to self-teach more detailed structuring theories so that I can eventually develop more complex scripts.

Living in the UK, there's a fair bit of opportunity really as the UK filmmaking industry puts emphasis a lot on working class filmmakers, independent filmmakers, etc, and they churn out screenwriters for their daily soaps, etc. If my own independent screenwriting ventures dwindle, I have more opportunities with the TV programmes they need to constantly keep in production (Emmerdale's studio is near where I live). A 30 minute script for one of those types of programmes is £10,000 - £12,000. It adds up nicely if you can write an episode a month.

>completed work and an understanding of how the business in your area operates

sounds like you're coming along better than most people here that seem to be struggling just to complete something.

also, best of luck to you

Thanks, user, you're kind to say so but I know I still have a ways to go and that I'm still really only a beginning. It might be naive but I try to stay optimistic: I'd like to think the more effort I put into writing my script (and the more I improve on any feedback), the more likely it could take me somewhere.

I like Veeky Forums but if people who are wanting to get into a job based on their writing see this post, I'd recommend finding a book group or a group of writers in your area on online via social media. A lot of beginning writers and avid readers are happy enough to give constructive feedback rather than shitposts to someone sincere and thankful.

Thanks, man. Thanks for reading and showing an interest, you didn't have to do that but you allowed myself to indulge a little. All the best, m8.

Yeah, but who gives a shit? Enjoy your 2 grand and 4% of royalties, because it's all you're gonna get.

>I like Veeky Forums but if people who are wanting to get into a job based on their writing see this post, I'd recommend finding a book group or a group of writers in your area on online via social media.
the people here need to realize that the struggle to complete their work is not even the beginning. a completed piece of work is probably not even half the battle. as a screenwriter you're probably forced to have a broader perspective given that you can probably have a finished product every few weeks whereas novels take at least a year.

mine took two years and im only now starting to submit to agents. the package to submit to a single agent required 8 hours of continuous work. not to mention the hours of research required to find an agent that i think will be receptive to the work. a lot of effort AFTER the damn novel is done and absolutely no guarantee that anyone reads the thing.

>Enjoy your 2 grand and 4% of royalties, because it's all you're gonna get.
im not even jaded by the publishing industry yet and i would consider this offer to be validated. i would probably quit my day job and live off of savings while i wrote the next one if i got this offer.

>is it true that it's easier to get published bc im a nonwhite female?
Yes, with the caveat that nobody will actually read your book.

But if you can actually write, the offer is utter garbage.

>btw i'm a shitskin grill
LONDON

LONDON

Why do you say that? Do I have to be a John Green to get people to read?

>But if you can actually write, the offer is utter garbage.
if they deemed my work good enough to publish but too shitty for a good offer i wouldn't be thrilled with it but it's a start. i dont think that's going to happen though. if im able to get an agent i think i could expect somewhere between 30k and 50k with a good chunk of the royalties.