Does drinking help you write?

Does drinking help you write?

Writers drink a lot because they sit around all day stressing themselves out with trying to find the write words.

Having a drink relaxes them while also putting them in a good man.

Alcohol is the white man's burden.

No. Dreaming. Fuck me I dreamt once a long story and forgot it.

I am so pissed.

But it's true though, most stories come from dreams whether drugs or certain other things help make you think of things

It helps you not write, which is extremely important to writing. You have to take time to refill the tank.

If that's the case, I recommend fish oil and a notepad.

It helps me not worry and just write whatever comes to mind. I can't edit or anything when I'm drunk though. So always sober up and edit it later.

No, but nicotine does. Chain vaping my mouth fedora at my desk actually makes me highly productive.

Shiiiiit, you just reminded me of a dream (?) I had this night about the most brilliant novel ever, and I can't remember anything FUCK

Personally, when I drink, I just want to watch movies, listen to music, and stuff like that. If anything helps me write, it's coffee. I do find, however, that mornings AFTER drinking, provided I'm not too groggy (I'm almost never hung over), I can do some good writing. Especially sexually charged stuff; for some reason I get horny as fuck after a night of drinking. While drunk I don't typically get particularly horny, in fact sometimes if I get drunk enough I can't even get hard in spite of still being in my 20s, but I can do some damn steamy writing with a hard-on.

I also find that early in the morning is when I am the best at writing. 5:30-6:30AM, sometimes (but not often) even before a cup of coffee. I book up my laptop and start typing like a madman. Often 1500 or so words before I even get out of bed, when I have such mornings.

tl;dr

Nah, drinking doesn't really help me write, though the morning after drinking can.

Nice, I thought I'm the only madman who likes the day after drinking. But my reasons are probably different

>though the morning after drinking can.
this. i drink just enough to put me to sleep. wake up at 4 or 5 am and write until i have to go to work and on the weekends i can sometimes write all day.

i knew of a guy (only met him a handful of times) that would get shitfaced and lock himself in his room so he could write "the next harry potter". he ended up writing like 600 pages of garbage from what i hear. he subsequently tried to get into an MFA program at a shitty state school and was rejected based on what he submitted and was forced to study journalism instead.

I've written a couple good things drunk when I didn't plan and just went into it without a care. Usually though, I just drink coffee, and do the reverse of "write drunk, edit sober" because I hate editing.

It can. It makes me write different.

Every drug makes me write or draw different.
They can often lubricate the tension from failure for me, personally.

Yup, even when I get shitfaced I typically don't have a hang-over. It's simple as Hell; don't start drinking when thirsty, and drink lots of water before you go to bed. Also, don't start drinking when hungry, and have a meal before you go to bed. By simply doing this, I have been absolutely hammered over 1000 times (not bad considering I'm still in my 20s) and yet have only truly had a hang-over perhaps 5 times. Certainly less than 10. Generally the most I'll get is a wee bit groggy.

Nah, when I drink I don't drink 'just enough to put me to sleep'. When I drink, I get smashed. Generally liquor, and generally around 15-20oz (Around 450-600ml I guess). All straight. I don't write so as to write "the next Harry Potter". I write because I love to write. If people like my stuff, great. If they don't then that's fine too, though I feel bad when people pay money for my books and don't end up liking it. On a more exciting note though, I got a sale from Australia recently! That means I've had sales in US, Canada, UK, and Australia; three continents! North America, Europe, and Oceania! I've also done some free promotions and have had free eReaders of my books downloaded in those four nations plus Brazil, Denmark, Italy, and Japan. So that means I've also had free books downloaded in South America and Asia as well! Very exciting stuff, absolutely incredible, I've only been a self-published author for I think 6 months as of either today or yesterday.

christ it's that homeless dude shilling his ebooks again

That's so gay. Just use smokeless.

Depend on the person. Try it a bunch of times, if it works for you, keep doing it, if not, don't. Just find what works for you.

Formerly homeless. Got my own place now, and lots of resumes out so it shouldn't be long before I'm paying my own way. I also haven't so much as mentioned the titles of my books, and on a side note I've got both paperback as well as ebooks; I'm not a one-trick shilling pony. Since you bring it up though, I'll have a promotion going on likely on the 26th though it's not yet set in stone. First 4 books going for free, 5th one on 'Kindle Countdown' though I've never tried it yet, and my 6th book should be out by then.

Interesting though, that you know it's me without even mentioning my pseudonym or book titles. I was talking about how drinking may or may not help me write, and then happily mentioned that I'm getting ebook sales as well as free promotional giveaway downloads in various nations around the world. Can you blame me for being a little bit on the excited side? I might just drink myself silly again tonight in celebration! Going to be great to get a job again though, to have some actual income. I'll certainly be banking a good bit of money, I imagine; rent is quite cheap where I am now.

/thread

>the write words.
oh man

>Alcohol is the white man's burden.

In the Shinning Jack says that when he gets his Bourdbon. I only know the meaning of "white man's burden" in relation to civilizing the uncivilized and looking it up I also found no other meaning.

Yes, coffee and cigarettes help me as well.

I do most of my writing on the shitter

If you're an inhibited writer, then yes.

If you're an undisciplined writer, then no.

Helps me not blow my brains out. So yeah, indirectly.

>Alcohol is the white man's burden

What exactly did you mean by this?

Writing helps me drink.

Yes, it helps me write text messages to girls from a long lost past against my better judgement followed by shame and regret.

>find the write words.
not sure if pottery or fuckup

Drinking makes you stop thinking and start feeling.

Which makes you piss-poor at writing, but as a memory it isn't bad inspiration for writing.

Just don't write a novel about being an alcoholic or a writer specifically, I'm begging you Mr King, it's for your own good,