STEAMING THREAD

I've been fighting with and repairing bamboo steamers all my life. They cost about $20 in my area and I repair them twice a year and replace them once a year. Time to move on up. I just bought one of these.

FYI, bamboo steamers are easy to repair with some 2-part epoxy, toothpicks, and bamboo skewers. I just drill holes for the skewers and toothpicks, fill them with epoxy, and insert the skewers and toothpicks. I find it is best to do this before you even use the bamboo steamer the first time instead of for repair. They last 4-5 times longer than normal with hard use.

Do you have any tips for steamers, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

justonecookbook.com/custard-pudding/
youtu.be/L-WzGFVJ24A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like making steamed Japanese purin.

PUDI PUDI

Thanks for reminding me about all those no-bake, no-steam "Mushi" purin recipes online. I've been meaning to try this one,

justonecookbook.com/custard-pudding/

What are the advantages of bamboo steamers? $20 for something that lasts a year sounds rather expensive.

I got a stainless one 15 years ago and it is still serving me well. The one in your picture looks nicer though, mine only has one floor.

>$20 for something that lasts a year sounds rather expensive.

Sounds cheap to me...

Just wait until you get the medical bills.

There are no advantages. It is expensive, for what little you get. The German one in the OP costs about $180 here and you can will it to your children. The bamboo ones fall apart due to swelling during extended use. The bamboo ones also start to stink when they become fully saturated with steam and appear dark. They are also more difficult to clean.

I've got a couple pots that came with steamers like that and I think they're great. I use them for re-heating foods, veggies, and things like tamales.

Vegetables are what gets me. I HATE boiled veg, I don't particularly like sauteed veg, raw veg is a fucking joke. But STEAMED veg, that's where it's fucking at. That's the best. Doesn't need anything on it at all.

True. I just tried brussel sprouts like some user did a while ago here. Slicing them up small and frying them with some lemon and paprika. Wasn't bad, but I wasn't blown away either.

Now when I steam them however, I eat them like candy, as they are, with nothing added.

Don't know if you don't mind getting some Ikea stuff, but I got one of those oumbarligs with a steamer insert. It's relatively small, but you can add more inserts and it's only $34 and it will definitely last a while.

The other thing I use my steamer for is eggs. I'll slap some butter in a ramkin, drop in an egg, and after 3:45 seconds you get a perfectly formed and well cooked egg with a slightly runny yoke that's perfect for eggs Forrest, or whatever.

Much easier than poaching them in water.

I just put in an egg, still in the shell, and steam them that way.

Red cabbage was the one I was most surprised with. I now use it as the tray/bowl to hold the food to be steamed because eating it is so delicious.

That looks tasty as fuck Veeky Forumsonfederatebro. WTF is Eggs Forrest exactly?

>WTF is Eggs Forrest exactly?

2 steamed eggs resting on bacon, cornbread, and topped with white pan gravy, fresh green onion, and served with fresh sliced tomato.

>Exposing epoxy to high temperatures around your food

u habe de cancer b0ss

>food safe epoxy

The bad part is while they are curing. Once cured, they are fine, especially for steaming, since it never touches the food.

Oh now I see the cornbread.

youtu.be/L-WzGFVJ24A
those were the fucking days

Anyone else use their steamer to reheat foods?
I mean stews, soups, spaghetti, etc, not pizza or anything like that.

Oh shit son, I steam my eggs instead of boiling but I haven't thought of doing something like this. That looks great. I have a microwave "poacher" but it's fucking garbage, the eggs never turn out quite right and I haven't tried traditional method(s) yet. This looks neat.

Steam is def the way to go for me; I get eggs at the exact doneness I want, every time. And they peel so easily too.