/Eternal Coffee Thread/

Survey time

1. Your usual coffee brewing methods and apparati
2. Methods or apparati you wanna know more about.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oWuyrlXI7nA
amazon.com/dp/B00018RRRK/ref=psdc_14092821_t1_B007F183LK
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LY9EICV/ref=psdcmw_14092831_t1_B00VHLXLWK
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1. Moka pot, French press, and cold brew with a french press are my methods and can tell you about my process if you'd like to know more.
2. I wanna know more about the brikka, specifically if it makes a better cup than a moka or if it's just aesthetic/visual preferences to want the crema produced with low pressure. Also would like to know a good espresso machine within the $700 range.

Cold brew process please.

1. Mostly moka pot, sometimes pour over with paper filter. Nothing unusual about the methods.
2. How does french press affect taste? What's the best tasting method in your opinion?

1. Vietnamese drip filter. Keeps me from drinking too much and does just make a nice cup of coffee.

2. Always been curious about vacuum pots.

For me, taste is as much (or more) about the coffee as the method. Put three different roasts through same method and you'll have the different tasting coffees.

Aeropress is my method of choice. My town has a coffee roastery, so when I have the money I buy my coffee there, if not, then LaVazza is the best you can buy in the supermarket, and it's pretty good too.

Would like to try a Moka, but tbph the Aeropress is so convenient and makes a great espresso or lungo.

Absolutely right, but ceteris paribus, what methods seem to produce better coffee?

>no cowboy coffee listed
1. Turkish (ibrik / cezve), moka pot, french press
2. I've done too much research on preparation methods, and the only one I feel I could find more information on would be proper espresso techniques in regards to particular roasts

A brikka is the same as a properly prepared moka pot without the pressure valve. The thing here is that it's tricky to properly prepare a moka pot without some practice, so if you are just hopping into it, a brikka can be more forgiving, albeit with less potential control over the resulting brew.

I haven't been able to get better flavor out of my own roasts than Turkish style or proper espresso. A method with a very fine grind really allows the flavor to come out. Coffee brewing is but a simple extraction process, and there are certain flavors you want from beans, and others you don't. You want a certain range of amounts of these flavors extracted into the water, but not more or less than that (this is where personal taste comes in). A fine grind allows you to extract all you want. I even grind the coffee for my French press a lot finer than many would say, with a lower steep time involving a bloom and agitation period. I make my moka as fine as possible and run it as quickly as possible to control the pressure, akin to how a brikka pops. French press I've found to rarely extract enough flavor due to lack of pressure and coarse grinds, despite it extracting properly, meaning I tend to suggest a higher ratio of coffee : water than normal for most press brews.

Vacuum pots are essentially just an immersion method with a built in timer. Very similar result to French press.

Mokas are very fun to play with in a way that an aeropress can't compare to, and the two methods are what I'd say are the closest to each other. By that I mean to say that if somebody were to ask me what is the closest thing to an aeropress, I'd say Moka, and visa versa. An aeropress gives more immediate control over factors, and produces a cleaner cup, but with proper practice a moka will yield results you can not only be proud of, but will taste beyond worth the effort.

I have an electric kettle and I steep it like tea.

>go to starbucks
>order and pay for large coffee

I usually do it one of three ways, so I'll post in descending order of how common it is:

1) Espresso machine
2) Ibrik
3) French Press

>starbucks
>not dunkin donuts

I think you can make a good cup of coffee with just about any method as long as you have the right beans and pay attention to what you're doing.

That being said, percs and automatic drips are probably my least favorite.

1. A 3-cup moka pot. I use preground coffee. Im poor so I couldnt afford a decent grinder or buy locally roasted beans.

2. Any finn here? How do you usually prepare your coffee? Apparently finland is the largest coffee consumer in the world so Im curious.

1. Moka or espresso machine
2. Nothing else

1. Krups espresso machine for my daily coffee, moka pot if it's my day off and I have more time to enjoy it. French press for cold brew.
2. I'd like to know more about Turkish coffee, the few times I've had it I was blown away.

My current French Press method:
>Heat water to near boil
>Warm the glass and mug
>Put ~15g of coffee of choice
>Pour just enough to cover allow to bloom
>Pour a bit more than two cups worth
>Stir, wait 4 minutes, stir then press
Why does it taste incredibly bitter and like ass? This is for two cups mind.

What a useless and pretentious reply

Nearly all of those things are just branded reiterations of the same 3-4 methods.
chemex, pourover, clever, manual drip machines are functionally identical

anyone else here /pourover with metal filter/ master race

Thank you.

1) A $25 Mr. Coffee and a bag of Gevalia light roast.
2) Why does Ethiopian coffee taste so funky?

closest dunkin donuts is on the other side of town

Since they're so popular here, can someone explain moka pots to me? What's so good about them?

trying some coldbrew with milk. i hope it's good. going to finish it in an hour

they make great tasting coffee, similar to espresso but not quite.

I have a small one for me and a bigger one for when I have company or want a lot of coffee

Pls update. I kinda want to do this but I'm worried that the acidity of coffee is going to curdle the milk.

sure thing user. i don't think it's going to curdle for me because I'm using cheap folgers tier grounds; medium roast. i'll buy the good beans and grind them some day.

Are they as strong as espresso?

They're a meme perpetuated by dude Italian coffee lmao people.

They're overrated and offer nothing more than a cafettiere

PLEASE HELP

add some salt

i typically rape my coffee with whatever. pinch of salt takes away bitterness. maybe your roast is too dark?

I typically have mine black. I've used various beans, but they've all been medium roast.

Update: It's pretty decent. Wasn't expecting it to be so bitter but the milk offsets it nicely. Smells good. I like it enough to drink it without sugar. Not worth the effort to make but still pretty good. No curdling.

Used 2/4 cup grounds with 3 cups of milk. brewed for 24 hrs in the fridge. stirred after 20 hours.

Just got the new Arctic cold-brew system from kickstarter yesterday.

Seems to be working okay. Looking forward to having some later today.

You're probably using over-roasted beans. Try getting a coarse-ground light roast.

1) v60, French press, cevze
2) how do I make moka not taste like burnt ass, and what do I use in my office with a water jug but no drain?

youtube.com/watch?v=oWuyrlXI7nA

Finland has the best coffee culture in the world.

Has anyone used this grinder? I don't think it grinds fine enough for espresso

Eyyy, Coopers my man

What roast you're using might be an issue, but before you even change that a quick fix you could try out is just trying going for coarser grinds or reducing brew time. Imo 4 minutes is a bit long, but I haven't french pressed for ages. Try going for 3:00-3:30ish and adjust accordingly.

I'm using one of these.

Pressurises baskets work fine, but I'm not convinced this grinds fine enough for the non-pressurised baskets. I've tamped the hell out of it and fiddled around with the dose, so I'm pretty sure it's to do with the grind

1.- Chemex, French Press, Aeropress and Moka Pot

2.-Expresso Machines

Also
>The Virgin Tea // The Chad Expresso

finally bought a french press today lads, it's a cheap one but an upgrade over my previous coffee brewing method
gonna try it out tomorrow, too late today for coffee

What is the best way for two adults to make good iced coffee at home for the morning? Preferably a few days ahead?

1. Kalita wave
2. Moka pot. Will buy one eventually.

I use a french press for cold brew. Get yourself some beans (freshest you can get) and grind them coarse (like sea salt), place the grinds into the press and i pour 10 grams of room temp water for every gram of coffee and allow it to sit for at least 12 hours (sometimes as much as 24 hours if you wish) before I press the coffee and pour it into a mug or containment vessel that can be chilled in the fridge. This process produces a coffee that is very caffeinated/strong but smooth to the mouth (in feel and taste, no acidity at all) and easy on the stomach.

Notes: ensure that all grinds are submerged. The more water you use produces a weaker cup. I recommend 1:7 to 1:13 grams for your coffee to water ratio. Get a scale. Cold water or chilling or stiring it during the 12 to 24 hour process will slow the extraction process down. Let chemistry do it's thing. Using hot/warm water for will create a bitter cup. Brewing hot coffee and then chilling it will produce a bitter coffee. After the 12 hours you get diminished returns so anything more than 12 hours is a waste of time if you ask me. After pressing and pouring add ice cubes if you're taking it to go, this ensures that the coffee will be chilled, but remember that the melting ice will dilute it.

Questions?

I think french press is the best for taste as I have gotten great results with fresh and old beans. The feel of a french press cup is heavier (in the mouth) than drip coffee. However, to achieve a taste you like, you have to have some extra tools (a thermometer, a scale, a grinder, a timer) and discipline on your behalf to produce consistency. French press is rewarding in that it lets you control variables of brewing (brew time, water temp, grind size), but you will have to figure out your preferences and be consistent to get that preferred cup each time. But once you figure it out, it's like riding a bike.

One more, for my french press buddies, I use a paper filter (pic related) to filter out oils and sediment every time I make a cup. It keeps your cup very clean and I very much recommend it.

Your water may be too hot; I heat to 205 f max for 3:30 to 4 minutes. Boiling water will produce a bitter cup.

yeah if were to make a large batch how long would it remain "fresh"

also, is there a difference in quality between the actual french press? Any suggestions on what I should buy?

Ethiopian coffee is usually light roasts I believe and those vary in taste sooo much.
Moka pot produces a coffee that is stronger and thicker than most coffee. It's easy to make coffee with it however, for example:
Preboil your water before hand and then pour it into the Moka pot for brewing. Make sure that the coffee grind isn't fine. Do a medium grind.

Large or small batches won't impact freshness, if you refrigerate it..it should stay fresh for two days and will be stale after 5 days. Maybe. That may depend on the quality of your beans however.

Clarify your 2nd question, please.

Yeah, is there a difference between a french press I would buy from walmart for $10 and the $70 top of the line from the hipter nitro coffee place?

Ah. Yes! Specifically the glass. You'll be exposing it to high temps and then cleaning which can fuck with the integrity of the glass. I've seen glasses crack when people pour hot water into it. I've seen them break from the top during cleaning.

Tips for buying: thicker the glass the better, make sure you can disassemble the press mechanism (the mesh and such) for cleaning. Good presses can go from 30 to 70. More than that and you're just paying for brand or aesthetics.

Thanks for the help!

>tfw bought a Bodum french press from goodwill for $3

Here's the one I have and recommend. Again, the thicker the glass the better so I recommend getting quality. If you can find one in person for cheaper and see that the glass is thicker, get it. If you go for cheap and then break it or crack it you'll be replacing it so in the long run it's probably a better idea to get a better quality press that is more expensive .

Nice. Treat it well and you'll love it.

Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap grinder? The one sweethome recommends is over $200...

I'm using a cheap black and decker blurr grinder, not the most awesome but gets the job done. If you are low in budget i may suggest that one

>The one sweethome recommends is over $200...
Ignore Sweethome, an Encore is a huge upgrade over your average $30 grinder (hario and so on), and is only $120

I wanna get a cast iron one. What do y'all think? How consistent would they be?

I had one of this.

As long as it has a blurr mechanism it should give you consistent grounds, although i wouldn't suggest it either because manually grinding will eventually become a pain in the ass for something that an electrical device takes seconds to do.

Just get a Hario Skerton, will last you forever

Hand grinder and pour over every morning at my desk.
It's my version of a cigarette break.

Same. Mini Mill+Kalita Wave. There's nothing faster regarding cleanup.

I want to try Turkish. Any tips?

Neckbeard shit

>filter out oils
Why?

Why filter at all? Why not just chew the beans whole? For that matter why bother even roasting?

that doesn't answer my question. why filter out oils?

cofvefe

I suppose they do that because they regret buying a french press and are craving decent tasting coffee for a change

Yeah but the grind quality goes to shit after the first 10-20 pounds of beans because ceramic burrs suck

You can waste money on those custom mods but it's a losing battle

I went through two before getting a baratza, it would be cheaper in the long run just to get a real grinder and call it a day

Will I benefit from using a grinder if I use commercially roasted beans like lavazza or starbucks etc?
I live in a shit country and locally roasted beans cost twice as much as commercial ones.

I'm considering getting into making coffee at home. What kind of set up do I need for entry level good coffee? I don't want to make more than one mug at a time and would like to avoid buying anything electrical.

What are the best grinder & maker contraptions for a beginner and how much will they cost? I want something simple and inexpensive.

so roast your own

This. The rest is utter normie-tier rubbish.

What the fuck is this hipster trash

Fresh grinding is as big of a step towards good coffee as fresh roasting is.

Have you really had issues with ceramic burrs? I haven't personally, but I don't grind any hard, stale, or burned beans ever. No beans should ever have the density to damage ceramic.

All millennials should be put to death.

Not only the oils but also the sediments can make the coffee some more bitter, as some french presses don't filter those very well

The simplest you could get would be a French press and a home grinder. For that case i'd suggest an electric grinder because manually grinding while fun at the start, it will become a pain in the ass on the long run.

You shouldn't be spending more than 20 dollars for that.

Turkish coffee. Black.

Sup Veeky Forums
I need a grinder for pourover/ moka pot
Since I'm not making espresso and don't need super fine grind, a cheap grinder like this will work right?

amazon.com/dp/B00018RRRK/ref=psdc_14092821_t1_B007F183LK

Light roasts are much more demanding
If you're grinding charbucks then they might last forever I dunno

I wish I could find a proper turkish cezve. All the ones selling here don't have the proper looks and aren't made of copper.
Hnnnggggg, I want it so much.

It should work well. Just check out how easy or hard it is to clean.

Also compare it with some other grinders like this one

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LY9EICV/ref=psdcmw_14092831_t1_B00VHLXLWK

checked out walmart's pour over and holy shit what is that thing? its like a chemex but awful.

Surely that shouldn't be surprising. Pretty much anything that Wal-mart carries is awful.

The bodum pour over? It's not that bad you homo

Yep, i use that with chemex filters and makes really good coffee. I didn't like the included metal filter

I roast my own beans, always light to medium. Using a skerton myself I notice darker beans being easier to grind, but that just makes sense. I have had my skerton for almost five years now using it every day multiple times, and never even looked at stabilization mods because I don't grind anything coarsely. You might have just gotten a bad burr

Oil in your coffee is unhealthy
Sediment makes your cup bitter