Itt: books without a hint of sentimentality

itt: books without a hint of sentimentality

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kl555qi7SXI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That piece of crap completely suck. I suggest people not to fell for the meme and read something else.

Céline died on 1 July 1961 of a ruptured aneurysm

Who cares, fuck yourself

This board sucks now and it's your fault.

Céline was a soldier in the first world war and he wrote that book to express the absurdity of war, an "international butchery of madness"

Colonialism is also depicted very well. The absurdity of heroism, critique of senseless heroism as partner of war.

When does this start getting nihilistic? Im at the part where he just arrived in America. The jungle part was nice, but nothing I've never experienced before

This board fucking sucks because of people like you, who read this crap just because they saw it on some random chart

Sentimentality is underrated

>just because they saw it on some random chart

Mate, Céline's notoriety goes a lot further than a chart on a Veeky Forums board.

Hell yeah, this is why you don't usually spill the beans and put all the eggs in the same basket. The more you know...

I know, but it's written like shit. If you like that style you better read Burroughs or Miller, they're definitely more interesting than this

It's overrated.

You're either handicapped or ESL. Either way, you shouldn't be allowed to post.

>without a hint of sentimentality
>english sensibilities
>higher ground

>It's overrated.

Maybe, but I was responding to the idiot who thought someone could only know about Céline because of a chart.

thomas bernhard, damaged by ww2 as ww1 damaged celine, although he gets sentimental occasionally when he signals to commies about blue collar compassion.

but dude, that's the same with Erich Maria Remarque, Beppe Fenoglio, Primo Levi, James Jones

but no! people read Celine because yeah, he looks so hella gangsta, yeah! the mad nazi doctor, uuuuuuuh! certainly he's interesting as fuck

remarque is unremarquable, makes ww1 look like highschool drama. the journey already became a classic before political controversy, it also easily beats moravagine by cendrars which has almost identical themes.

Celine's style is garbage

Stop praising an author just because he's French like you. It's a retarded behavior. I love French authors, you have so many of them that made totally godly literature. But Celine remains overrated and annoying. And you trying to push him under the eyes of everyone just because "muh France c'est la France" it's pathetic as fuck. Grow up, croissant.

nabokov fan detected

mdr

>csq il comprends pas Céline

t. butthurt ironic baguettes

>All this butthurt over Céline from people who read translations

war and colonialism is like 30% of book, rest is him being massive cunt to peoples. I wonder how much of this is actually autobiographical: beating women? leaving own patients to die? hiding knowledge about attempting murder? I like non-morality but christ
seconding Miller. Burroughs is trash and nothing alike

It's true that you lose a lot in translation with Céline. Usually the translation meme isn't true, like for Victor Hugo, but for Céline it is.

guy quoted in best movie ever cant be bad
youtube.com/watch?v=Kl555qi7SXI

The part in America and him being a doctor are quite unsettling segments imo

>he thinks you can read Céline in translation
how does it feel being that much of a fucking retarded burger

You can read anything in a translation, dumbass.

Frenchman here (and it's my first post ITT).

Other Anons are right. Céline cannot be translated properly, and his English versions are really bad. It's not the translator's fault though. The essence of what makes Céline so great lies within the French language itself, and the unique way he's handling it. Thus you're losing much of his substance in translation.

Translated Céline reads like some run-of-the-mill Miller or Bukowski indeed, and it's very sad.

Céline in French is easily Joyce-tier in his mastery of language; he summons undiscovered resources of the French language that cannot even be understood (IMO) by someone who speaks French as a foreign language. He is among the greatest writers of all time... but just for us, unfortunately.

I could post some examples but I'm phoneposting and it's too tedious right now. Maybe tomorrow if the thread is alive.

>b;laming the trainslation
>he thinks prose matters

>an "international butchery of madness"

>being a dumb memer who misses the point