Why is it that authors are censoring themselves to fit the SJW mold?

>Why is it that authors are censoring themselves to fit the SJW mold?

Is this the end of great Veeky Forums

to sell.
but back in the day it used to be censored for other reasons.

>SJW
This phrase should be permabanned. It's used by teenagers and idiots.

People dont want to be smeared and would rather make sales. Go with whats safe and people will buy it.

They dont, you just arent well read in modern literature, or you are reading to trigger yourself.

I hope you're not suggesting that Milo "Yiannopolous" Hanrahan and his degree in the flute are great Veeky Forums

Can you give some examples?

Are you purposely reading minority or female authors?

You're talking about self-censorship in a board that idolizes Pynchon, the guy who can't finish a single book without having at least one sexual scene featuring an adult with teenager(s)/children.

Probably no one is self-censoring or whatever boogeymen you think they are, it's just that most people aren't absolute edgelords quoting infographics about black IQ or whatever to seem like a rebel.

>Say something that's going to cause outrage
>Outrage happens
>Muh mainstream media has a plot against obscure blogs that publish glorified op-eds and Youtube channels that make vape trick videos and Minecraft gameplays

1. Most of the authors that pander to social justice warriors are the ones writing shitty sci-fi/fantasy and will probably be forgotten in 10-15 years regardless

2. Said authors aren't as numerous as you think, most writers are busy actually writing rather than wasting time on Twitter

3. I assume you're talking about Milo since his book deal got cancelled after the pedophilia comments. Milo is of course, free to believe and say whatever he wants as long as he doesn't incite literal violence against other people, but if you're going to say controversial things all the time, you'll need to accept that a lot of people won't like what you say and they'll refuse to associate themselves with you.

4. Freedom of speech doesn't mean that others have to listen to your shitty alt-right rhetoric, the government cannot pursue you for your beliefs but others can cut ties with you, including publishers and news sites.

5. People like Milo, Lauren Southern or Paul Joseph Watson thrive on saying things that will anger leftists or liberals and pandering to conservatives. None of them offer any actual intellectual insight and the moment they actually try to talk about any complex social or political issue without using buzzwords, they come out as the hacks they actually are.

People dont want to be smeared and would rather make sales. Go with whats safe and people will buy it.

Not to discuss Sam Harris everywhere (he gets way too much attention here), but his last podcast had a fellow who worked at facebook and google discussing how the AI that creates trending topics and personalized feeds in social media has been honing in on outrage as the number 1 click bringer. Human beings are awful

>4. Freedom of speech doesn't mean that others have to listen to your shitty alt-right rhetoric, the government cannot pursue you for your beliefs but others can cut ties with you, including publishers and news sites.

Where is that fear originated from?
People want to be politically correct all the damn time. It's affecting the direction of literature and the thoughts of the masses. It's sad to see that we can't have a real conversation about anything anymore without someone tagging you with some "politically correct" title to discredit you.

90% of all books published are shit.

Is it any surprise that a large portion of the remainder are going to be flawed by either calculated or uncalculated acceptance of the popular morality or rejection and affront of it? (Picture related.)

You're deep in the midden right now, OP, history hasn't sorted out what is waste, what is recyclable, and what is treasure.

b8 or SJWs

>People want to be politically correct all the damn time.

Our culture exists, it has norms and taboos. Breaking taboos results in social retribution. This exists in every culture in the world. At this point in Anglo-European culture a solid 50% of people actually believe in a culture of politeness, with the extremes finding the rhetoric of the other extreme actually offensive. It is that middle that swings elections and allows a gauge of norms, and clearly last cycle, college students stopping free speech and transsexuals pissing next to 6 year old girls fell outside the norm in most states.

Great post. Every thread here always rants about contemporary literature being dead, when you can look back at bestsellers since harpers started in the 19th century and see nothing but trash. There is nothing worse than 1870s women's literature.

yes saying shit like "kill all niggers gas all the jews and it's okay to sexually assault children" has consequences biiiiiiig shocker

i hope milo and everyone who eats his shit up gets cancer

Yep, pretty much any research into what was at one point well regarded will yield up a ton of literature at the same level as the best of contemporary lit and a bunch of stuff that's rightfully forgotten.

Just look at the Edwardians: I mean, who reads Arnold Bennett, and John Galsworthy? Who reads Wells social novels? Not even that many people read Shaw beyond Pygmalion. That was some of the stuff that was considered great. In America, there was Booth Tarkington, the only guy other than Updike to win that many Pulitzers. Who cares about Tarkington?

History has yielded up to us Conrad, Woolf, Forester, and Joyce.

Why? It's a term that refers to a specific group of people.

There's a difference between political correctness and being an asshole and unironically promoting white supremacy and misogyny.

Yes, but like other buzzwords, it's been used so much it has lost all meaning.

Yeah it's used a lot. So? "Buzzword" is a buzzword that's also used a lot to dismiss ideas and concepts that people dislike.

>Why is it that authors are censoring themselves to fit the SJW mold?
Because they suck and write to appeal to a target audience.

Also the reason some "authors" only write things that sound edgy as fuck

Due to the diffusion of identity politics it is inaccurate. You cannot group militant blacks, islamic apologists, third wave american feminists, LGBQT, civil rights activists in Turkey and China, post-structuralist guilt ridden nu-males, and Indian/Muslim Feminists in the same group, nor dismiss them all equally. Language and specificity are important.

>this phrase should be permabanned
lmao, the commie's first instinct is to ban words. kys nancy boy

Wait a minute. Why exactly can't we group those people together?

>Language and specificity are important.

But we don't really have this privilege anymore.

Truth is nonexistent in 2017 "literature"

Firstly, because again, language is important. Secondly, because they all have different goals. Islam is incompatible with the rest and uses them only to move forward. Indian feminists have real fucking problems, like rapists only being prosecuted after protests. African Feminists fighting legal slavery and FGM have legit concerns I see a lot of "redpilled" guys arguing against circumcision. Simplifying language into buzzwords is contemptible.

Provide examples. I am reading a 2017 Biography of Frederik Barbarossa right now that is quite well cited. As far as fiction and truth, that is always predicated upon bias.

Simply saying "language is important" doesn't tell me why I shouldn't generalize left wing social activists when its useful to do so. The term doesn't imply that everyone under its umbrella can't disagree on certain things, it's simply a derogatory acronym that refers to left wing social activists.

Your insistence on generalizing is extremely plebeian. Your concept of "left-wing" is bizarre and incorrect. You can create an umbrella term for your ideological enemies if it makes it easier for you, it is just extremely imprecise and makes it seem like the philosophy of your SJWs by that i mean post-structural third wave feminists who study Foucault's power relations from a leftist perspective, the monolithic shadowy oppressor seeking to eradicate your identity, has seeped into your own discourse. If you can't see how that is problematic I have nothing further to say.

Have you ever used to term feminist? Well stop doing that because not all feminists agree on everything. Language is important dude.

You have no idea what I mean by left wing so I don't know how you can judge it as bizarre or incorrect. I think the truth is you're a leftist and you just don't like being made fun of and you're look for a way to discourage people from doing it. I get it.

Have you considered that it's perhaps more likely that they simply don't agree with your half-baked teenage ideology?

Sorry but I don't understand the point you're trying to make here...

Pedo

>I'm feeding on outrage but I whine about how people are offended

No one heard about Padapalopos before the press started making money about the Veeky Forums bogeyman in 2014. Ever heard of 15 minutes of fame? Yours are up. As simple as that. Enjoy

I'm not even talking about fame.
I'm talking authenticity user.

If you feed on reaction there never was authenticity to begin with.

>this book I like wasn't published and this TV show was canceled. It's not fair they have rules and regulations. It is da SJWWWSSS!

Also the ban measure is unconstitutional, someone should notify the mods (if they don't hate freedumbz and red, white and blue).

Agreed.

I like bigoteers

>da SJWWWSSS!

Why do you guys do this? It's so predictable. Whenever you guys want to mock somebodies beliefs it's always the same sort of deliberate misspellings done with the intention of discouraging people from expressing themselves. Muh freeze peaches da Jeeeewwws.

reddit

there's nothing wrong with censorship desu

Yeah I agree. Everything should be banned unless it's approved by the Catholic Church.

this, using 'SJW' signals the intellectual maturity of a youtube atheist

>those sjws are so thinned skin
>WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT WHITE MEN FUCK YOU FUCK YOU CuCk FAGGOT GET IN A HELICOPTER NU MALE TRIGGERED YOURE SO TRIGGERED TRIGGERED

This. Calling them sjws gives regular liberals a sense of undeserved superiority.

One of those from a place of major institutional power.

Don't worry, I'm writing the great shocking /lit opus that will challenge all this. You will see it in a couple years probably. Or twenty-to-fifty years, after I've died and it's discovered.

This, the proper term is Social Justice Bigot.