What does an authentic French beef bourguignon taste like...

What does an authentic French beef bourguignon taste like? Does it just taste like beef stew with a slight red wine taste or is the taste something very unique and special? I've always wanted to try it, but never had the balls to try cooking it myself and the 2 times I went to a fancy French restaurant in my city, they happened to be out of it. This is my unicorn dish.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oje7vtynhPc
youtu.be/8DCw_eR_iPA
histoire-en-citations.fr/citations/henri-iv-je-veux-qu-il-n-y-ait-si-pauvre-paysan-en-mon-royaume
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>never had the balls to try cooking it myself
Why? What is honestly the worst case scenario here? You make a bad meal? Big fucking deal.

Like incredibly rich beef stew with wine in it. Super savory and delicious if done right. Definitely can go a long way because it's so rich, making it a good weekly or bi weekly staple food. The perfect peasant dish.

>Best case scenario

you make an awesome french dish and get to eat a stew far better than the plebs will ever know

>worst case scenario

OH FUCK you made beef stew what the fuck are you ever to do?

Just fucking cook it dude its good and easy

its a pretty difficult dish to fuck up actually

fry up some bacon, sear some beef in the fat, then some veggies, then add beef and bacon back in and add wine stock and herbs. EzPz

youtube.com/watch?v=Oje7vtynhPc

This is the best recipe for it that I know of by a pretty significant margin.

I fucked it up once by dumping in some awful wine that I failed to taste before dumping it in

That was the first and last time I ever put wine in a pot without having a swig

Rich beef stew with the flavours of the red wine you added. Go ahead and make it, it's comprised of easy and cheap ingredients, and even if you somehow screw up, you'll get something tolerable at the least. Just follow a guide if you feel scared.

It's only cheap if you use nasty CAFO beef, and who wants to stink up their kitchen with that fucked up smell CAFO beef makes when it cooks

>Does it just taste like beef stew with a slight red wine taste or is the taste something very unique and special?
definitely special.
Mixing beef and wine makes it not really taste like either. You don't really get an obvious "wine" taste

why wouldn't you try making it yourself. it's just beef stew. fucking comfort food. you can make it with pantry staples and preparation is straight forward (all it requires is time).

You've never made beef stew The broth is very beefy, made mostly of red-wine, and also has the aromatics infused in it.

Anyone have a cheap wine recommendation? I just use Franzia chillable red, which is good enough. Tried using Manischewitz alcoholic Welch's (kosher for passover version, of course), but that shit's too sugary for broth. Good for a quick pan reduction, but otherwise just drink it.

Also fuck the notion of "Use what you would drink." Franzia or Carlo Rossi are just fine for long-cooking stocks.

youtu.be/8DCw_eR_iPA

>meat
>peasant dishes
Maybe nowadays, but not back in the 18th century.

Second-tier Spanish red wines. Jumilla, Toro, Catalayud, stuff like that

kill yourself you stupid american fuck. why are you on a cooking board if you don't know anything about cooking? most french cuisine stems from peasant food like beef bourguignon or pot au feu

>18th c french peasants ate meat every day
Stop getting your "history" from disney films and asterix comics

histoire-en-citations.fr/citations/henri-iv-je-veux-qu-il-n-y-ait-si-pauvre-paysan-en-mon-royaume

No one said they were vegans, you dumb fuck

The argument was whether they were eating beef every meal of every day, 365 days a year

Retard.

No one made that claim. Fuck off with your strawman, you cock guzzling retard.

Nobody but you said that, though.