I'm in the car on my way to Chicago and we'll be there in a few hours. What food should I try, where should we go...

I'm in the car on my way to Chicago and we'll be there in a few hours. What food should I try, where should we go, where should we not go?

Other urls found in this thread:

broadcastify.com/listen/feed/763/web
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Deep dish / stuffed pizza is the only truly good food unique to Chicago.

Don't listen to anyone that says thin crust is worth getting, especially in place of deep dish. Thin crust is for parties when the organizer is too cheap to get a real pizza.

The only good Chicago dog I've had was at Portillo's. I'm hesitant to try other places because on my first visit to Chicago every place I tried was down right bad.

Italian beefs are only edible if you've never had a cheesesteak. Cheesesteaks are better in every conceivable way compared to an Italian beef.

Went with the bowling team to giordanos there and have to say, those deep dish are impressive. Sloppy as fuck, but impressive nonetheless.

Post is horseshit. Get an Italian beef from Al's. Also, extra thin crust Chicago pizza is the best pizza out there.

>where should we not go

to Chicago

Portillos is shit. Don't go there. If you want a good hotdog go to superdawg.

Within the first five minutes of being in the city we passed a shooting crime scene where an entire intersection was blocked off.

The true Chicago experience.

They've got good Italian Beef and fries, though.

Last time i went to chicago i ate at Al's for dinner 3 times over a week. Each time i ate 2 of the biggest beef subs in one sitting. Im a real skinny dude, too.

Where are you staying? Might be easier to recommend places that way. Also check lthforum. It's a chicago food message board.

Deep-dish is primarily for tourists and special occasions, but guess what: You're a tourist, and this is a special occasion!
Lou Malnati's is the hands-down best deep dish place. Giordano's and Gino's East and such are alright, but go to Lou Malnati's, get the BUTTERCRUST (75 cents extra, worth every penny) and you'll have something worth talking about.

Portillo's is definitely good, they have great burgers and beefs, they're a chain but you would go to one the way, heading out west, I would go to an In-N-Out. I don't like Al's. And personally I think Chicago-Dogs are a load of hype and sodium.

As poster above said, there are a lot of good more-specific recommendations to be made, but that would be depending on where in the city you'll be, and possibly what you like to eat.

Most of all, have fun, enjoy your stay!

>where should we go, where should we not go?
listen to the Chicongo police scanner. any streets or neighborhoods they mention, you need to avoid
broadcastify.com/listen/feed/763/web

Gaylords, good Indian place, they might have a buffet. And Portillo's, get the Italian beef with hot giardiniera.

Steak or Pork Jabrito from The Jabrito Stop...also try the fried plantains

Breaded Steak Sandwich from Ricobenes..they also sell pretty good freshcut fries

chicken sandwich from Do-Rite Donuts & Chicken

Harolds Chicken...I usually get a Half Mixed "Salt n Peppa" with extra sauce....waffles are basic nothing spectacular

like Duck...try a duck Fat Dog at the Duck Inn

Though I do agree about cheesesteaks, a dipped beef with peppers offers a unique experience...try Johnnies or Als

stay away from south/west side
jims original for a maxwell street polish
jimmys red hots
burts pizza

A hot dog, with lots of ketchup.

kek
told you

Seconding Lou Malnati's butter crust. Places like Giordanos are good, but Lou's is on another level. If you swing through Rockford make sure to stop at Beefaroos, kek

For me it's the deep dish, the best 'go 'za