Several years later, teaching at Illinois State...

>Several years later, teaching at Illinois State, Wallace designed a class that Max describes as covering “great novels of the twentieth century”; in the course syllabus, DFW described it as “a contrived, excuse/incentive to read several interesting, difficult U.S. novels…. The class is to function as a large, sophisticated, energetic reading group.” In a letter to Steven Moore, Wallace wrote, “I’m gearing up to do 2 DeLillo, 2 Gaddis, 2 McCarthy … and 1 Gass. Death by fiction.”

What would you realistically give up to be taught such a syllabus by 1990's David Foster Wallace?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=85TE0K5fgJM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I would ironically be in the class.

>this is Harry Potter now - feel old yet?

has he taught anyone noteworthy?

tao lin

he sure taught Harold

five, six bucks?

Paul Thomas Anderson.

>what would you give to hear a drug addled depressed loser who would go on to hang himself tell you about how fish don't know they're swimming in water and we should be nice o each other and not joke about meta narratives

hmm that's a tough one fampai. I would pay the cost of one belt and sturdy rafter.

You sure know a lot about a man you claim to dislike

He's in a state of post-sincerity neo-irony

I am a big Jason Segel fan

Fucking lul

This is such a stupid fucking post. It doesn't even make sense.

>2 DeLillo, 2 Gaddis, 2 McCarthy … and 1 Gass.

youtube.com/watch?v=85TE0K5fgJM

>drug addled
I hope you don't actually believe this

>2 DeLillo, 2 Gaddis, 2 McCarthy … and 1 Gass
It feels like there ought to be some kind of pun here

Is Bush /ourguy/

It's more Shakespeares than most of Veeky Forums has read

3 whole Shakespeare's???!!!

My time, three hours a week.

sounds comfy as fuck

I took a creative nonfiction course with David Wallace at Ponoma back in '94. We weren't allowed to show anyone our essays outside of the class for some reason. He seemed naturally intelligent, didnt need to look at any notes or textbooks or prepare for any lectures, he just knew his stuff and was super casual.

I saw him talking to a girl on campus one day. He uncharacteristically wore a Fila sweatsuit, the kind that looks like it's made from the same material as parachutes, and trainer sneakers with a matching bandana. That was his pussy hunt outfit apparently. Several times a week, same outfit, I'd see him hitting on women in it. I once saw him wearing it while carrying an identical outfit from the dry cleaners, he had like 4 sets of same Fila sweatsuit.

I asked him about it in class and he said we aren't allowed to discuss anything unrelated to class while inside class, the same way we can't show anyone outside of class our essays. A student called out "but Dostoevsky isn't in this class and last week you talked about replicating his black tea obsession to test its affects on your own writing". Wallace stared blankly at the student with dead eyes for 30 seconds in dead silence then said "you just got knocked down a full letter grade. Any other smart asses? Didn't think so." and pushed up his glasses with his index finger.

I remember telling myself this guy will either be super successful or kill himself.

can confirm, I am the girl he was hitting on

I'd go with Jorge Luis Borges instead. Apparently he showed American movies in his classes.

Undrebaited

can confirm, I am the tracksuit

I don't know if this is original or an ancient copypasta, but it's amazing

Even though you're shitposting, dfw didn't come to Pomona until 2002

It's copypasta, and yeah, it's great

kok

How can one claim to dislike someone whom they do not know? Wouldn't that be less reasonable? At least his attitude has some backing.

I wouldn't give anything up, because hypothetical questions like that are inane. That said, had I been his student, my influence probably would have been able to keep him from killing himself later. Oh well.

Excellent post
Retard post

I wouldn't give up anything.

Someone who spent their lives trying to appeal to academics in following the "literary tradition" hasn't had an original idea about anything concerning literature.

DFW didn't make his books long and fractured and ironic because they needed to be that way to express whatever made him sit down and write in the first place, he wrote them that way because that's what he'd been taught "literature" was supposed to be in his day and age. He never spent a year outside a classroom.

Every Ben Lerner or George Saunders with a teaching position pretending they can teach people how to write will be associated with the grinding halt literature came in the 1950s.

DFW never thought for himself. He placed all his faith in school because that's all he knew. He was good student, good kid, kiss ass. He never learned the value of being on his own and having to think for himself. He had other people think for him. He was too much of a pussy to try and do anything differently.

People on this board don't think for themselves either. Someone tells them what's good.

Gaddis is shit. Afraid to say anything, hiding himself in entropy because he was smart like that.

Pynchon is shit. A glorified comic book writer on Gaddis' dick.

DeLillo is okay.

Gass is shit. Impersonal without a drop of human insight.

McCarthy is good. Probably the only writer just as famous now as he'll be in 100 years.

Too many people confuse good prose with good writing.

David Duchovney

Shhhhh

You're gonna upset the undergrads on Veeky Forums who spent 40k a semester trying learn what's good and what's bad instead of thinking for themselves

So no

>I'm the only free thinker here
>My favorite meme author is better than yours
Pls kill you are self, famarama. You're more DFW-like than even his most ardent admirers even to the point of putting DeLillo and YeCarthy above those others the same way he did.

Really?

>I agree with the edgy guy because I'm edgy like that

There will always be people who are sorting the good and the bad for you, perhaps without you even realising it. It can be something as simple as what falls out of print or what gets translated. You're not thinking for yourself. You're reading precisely what other people decided was worth reading. Even those of us with the most eclectic tastes are still reading from tiny shortlists, made available by the gatekeepers.

He talks about it in his Inherent Vice interview with Marc Maron

I would be in his class then not do any of the readings.

Hahaha this has to be bait.
>these guys are better than the ones you like but I can't provide reasons

Its clear you didn't understand the books you read from those authors, and you're taking it out on their fans like a child. Some people confuse accessible with good.

I was with you until you went full retard criticizing those authors.

stop posting Bret

Puck Fomona
I used to toss my joint butts in your dumb fountain

>PoMona
>Pomo
Was this intentional?

Veeky Forums has officially gone full circle jerk

Was about to say this. Oddly enough, I just watched Inherent Vice earlier today and listened to that interview afterwards.

>What would you realistically give up to be taught such a syllabus by 1990's David Foster Wallace?

>Reading american Veeky Forums with the quintessential american in america

Five cheeseburgers and a box of McNuggets with two (2) dipping sauces.

>Taught at ISU
>All my what
ISU sucks.
t. U of I student

Is that Jon Tron??? 8)

UIUC lit meetup when

>Risa castellana.

For calling out someone who's talking shit on authors he clearly hasn't read? He's bringing reddit's circlejerk here, and deserves to be told to fuck off until he can provide reasons for his vague and frankly retarded criticisms.

You go to U of I. You have no right to talk shit.

t. UChicago

shit man that sounds great, what a line-up

I find it inconsistent of you to criticize DFW for uncreative pandering to tradition, when McCarthy's best work is an edgy, reference-filled Melville re-tread.

Shut the fuck up

You got beer?

I'm fuckin dying of boredom user.

Not an argument

Let's do it

lap 2

this edition is the best, the revised one had a slightly forced feel to it

Agree, but it needs some type of revision. It's really stilted in a way I'm not sure how to convey.

Hou have to be the same guy, nobody is this dumb.

Let's

If you're not memeing me message my reddit account japanairkicked

>the best American filmmaker of the past 25 years took classes by the best American author of the past 25 years
really noogies the noggin'