What's the appeal of reading low-quality genre trash?

What's the appeal of reading low-quality genre trash?

it's fun

Why though? What's more fun about low-quality schlock as opposed to something that's genre yet also well-written?

some people lets face it, plebs and women, can't comprehend anything more

look at the anime posting moron above me, this is all he knows, and all he'll ever know.

F-Fuck you.

With low quality writing, you will think in meta all the time. It's easy to analyze. I wouldn't call that an appeal, as it makes me detest the low quality, but there tends to be an appeal in the bizarreness in the humorous question of
>But why?

Bile fascination is a guilty pleasure. The guilt comes from knowing you could actually be consuming something good.

Plebeians do not like to think. Quality literature makes you think; low-quality genre trash does not make you think.

This is the elitist answer, but I'm wondering if there's more to it. Is there anyone who enjoys both high-quality literature and low-quality trash?

Point me toward some well written anime trash with cute girls then.

Sometimes you just want a cheap lager instead of a triple hopped pretentious abomination.

I don't watch cute girl anime. Because I'm not a nigger.

I'm too stupid to understand literature and genre fiction offers a mental escape from real life, which I'm otherwise emotionally incapable of dealing with.

there's literally nothing wrong with moe

Why though? Does it taste better than the triple-hopped beer? Do you think the expense outweighs the benefit you'll get from drinking it? Not that the latter question would be relevant to literature, but still. Why do you want the lower-quality option?

This is the delusional self-important academic's answer. Storytime is not important and neither are your retarded opinions, no matter which story you got them from.

Some people like to think about different things in between learning applicable skills. Reading for fun is not necessarily escapism.

Sure, there is a cost/benefit aspect to it in the sense that if you just want to get cunted affordable vodka is a better tool for the job than Lagavulin, but sometimes the cheap and simple and trashy thing can be better regardless of expense.

Sometimes a quicky can be better than an elaborate fuck and a hamburger can hit the spot more than a steak. Sometimes you want to listen to Chief Keef instead of just Bach 24/7 or read shitposts instead of Shakespeare. What is conventionally the most exceptional quality is not always best for the situation.

Then there is the idea of hedonic adaptation. If you drink Dom Perignon everyday it will soon stop being exceptional and will offer you no more pleasure than someone else gets out of his humble table wine. Always having the best will make you stop appreciating it. Even if you have unlimited funds, to really keep enjoying your life you would need to add some periodic element of voluntary hardship or deprivation or it will all turn into a dreary grey mediocrity.

Wow... so this is how people with shit taste justify their choices.

Good taste is a spook.

>someone who feels the need to post anime pictures with every post defends genre trash

Huh. Really activates my almonds

I read for entertainment, just like the vast majority of people do. I'm convinced you all actually do understand this, but you're pretending not to because it's part of your "I'm so elitist and erudite I don't understand what commoners call 'fun'" shtick. That or you're just pretending like reading dull moral tracts, impenetrable post-modernist drivel, and dull fiction narratives nobody bothered with when the author was alive are the height of entertainment. In which case you're just an insufferable bore.

>I read for entertainment
Why would you get more entertainment from something that's poorly-written than well-written? There exists literature designed to entertain that is high-quality. Why insist on reading something low-quality instead? Hopefully not because of some delusion that only garbage can be entertaining and fun.

Have you ever visited that portion of Erin's plot that offers its sympathetic soil for the minute survey and scrutinous examination of those in political power, whose decision has wisely been the means before now of converting the stern and prejudiced, and reaching the hand of slight aid to share its strength in augmenting its agricultural richness?

On a shitty morning when I've got the most asinine dumbfucks on the train to work, which is everyday in NYC, all I want is to just read something that takes zero effort to get into so I don't have to deal with what's going on around me. Sure it's genre trash, but good fucking god is it easy to engage with for a half hour every morning.

It's usually worse on the way back home, so there's another half hour of it after work.

Because I don't base my taste on the opinions of others. I care very little if someone thinks I'm a plebian for reading a science fiction novel or patrician for reading Joyce.

It ultimately matters very, very little.

>being this much of a rabble-tier wagecuck
jesus fucking christ just kill yourself you used to have dreams didn,t you

I can't take this sort of elitism seriously. If you've never had an anti-intellectual phase brought on by your own oversaturated consumption of "serious" literature, then you probably haven't been at this sort of thing for very long.

Umm sorry sweetie but I've been raised on the Greeks and 17th century French literature since I was 4, been reading only the canon all through my youth up to now. I'm 21, in university, and I've never read any of the rabble's books.

Feels good not to be one of you.

So you have no reason to explain why you get more fun out of reading poorly-written entertainment as opposed to well-written entertainment? And somehow, being "anti-intellectual" is something good that needs to be experienced? You really make no sense and just seem to hate the fact that you can't explain why you enjoy trash.

I often enjoy stories with adventure, heroism, interesting worlds or locations to explore and characters to root for. Fun, exciting stories that let me forget about my boring, empty life.

Genre fiction is usually meant to fill that niche. Sometimes more literary fiction can, too, but that seems to be an exception.

It's actually fun to read. Rather than following bland middle class characters worrying about trivialities, genre fiction features inspiring heroes overcoming major obstacles against all odds. It brings you back to a time before civilization, back to when people fought to live... back when people felt strong emotions and let passion be their guide. Literary fiction is about illness and death. Genre fiction is about life in all its glory.

You seem to be mistaking me for one of the previous posters, that was my first post in this thread. Besides that, I think I gave a good reason that people on this board can appreciate: contrarianism.

good post

FUCKING GENREFAGS LEAVE THIS BOARD NOW REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

see

Attitude like this is why people with English degrees don't find work.

I'm 40k a year on grants bae, just to take my time and study, smoking cigarettes on the porch, drinking pabst blue ribbon, prolly fucking your girl

t. Lying on a Mongolian Cave-Painting Forum to Impress Strangers

Because I really like David Eddings, and even though he wrote the epitome of genre fiction fantasies, his stories are still enjoyable.

alright, you've convinced me. What is some good genre fiction?

Bernard Cornwell

I'm unaware of any "high quality" literature with catgirls :3

I love me some weird lingo sci fi bullshit but it's literally "turn your brain off brah!", literally no benefits other than stress relief, like playing vidya, marvel movies or most comics, desu

Yes, you just don't apply the same standards. I mean, I was reading some Claremont X-Men a while ago and was appaled by how awful and purple his prose is, and yet, if I judge them by cape comic standards, they're absolute gold and there's a lot to be learned about them, both as a point in a historic metanarrative in comics and pop culture and in how to actually write / critique team books made before and after it.

On a further note: Read pic related. Granted, I disagree with his essay on Superman on pretty much every level, and think he read it in huge bad will, but very interesting book still.

Reminds me of Grant Morrison, you feel like going easy on him because he's one of the few people bringing in ideas from outside the cape world.

That's just the bad stuff though - there are obviously a truckload of SF books that are just Star Wars knockoffs, but also some lovely, thoughtful stuff from PKD, Ellison, Le Guin etc.

And on the flipside of that, Moore wrote two really interesting "literary" novels. The borderlines are more porous than people like to admit.

This

I can't answer your question because you clearly suffer from a neurodevelopmental disorder, and thus any information you glean from my answer would be useless to you. .

To understand why people enjoy things you deem inferior, you'd have to understand current society intimately. However the opposite is made clear from your obsession with age old philosophers.

>why do people watch sharknado?
to be elitist you have to be not retarded first, op

I'd be retarded if I wanted to watch a film called fucking Sharknado.

I don't know, I only read high quality genre trash

he said on a mongolian basket weaving consortium

>reboot
Based.

Is it better to read genre trash or to watch anime?

At least anime is something foreign.

Anime is a medium, they have their own genre trash. It's really a lot like books, if you think about it. You have people who only watch genreshit saying anime where "nothing happens" is shit and it should all just be epic hollywood explosions.

>smoking cigarettes on the porch
>drinking pbr
>prolly fucking your girl
uh-huh

It's not fun though.

If gives one a good grasp on how writing is supposed to work at the technical level. DFW's english literature course had nothing but crime and fantasy novels in the syllabus.

You really shouldn't be attempting to read really prosey and metaphysical stuff before being able to easily understand more conventional stories. This principle is even more true when it comes to writing.

Sharpe is phenomenal, the man's the definition of a lovable bastard. Love those books.

Nice dub-dubs

Watching genreshit can be comfy and fun; reading it is a waste of effort.

Most people's lives can be said to be the purest form of genreshit, because they're objectively uninteresting and uninspired but they're redeemed by the spectacle and engagement accomplished by sensory immersion.

wow, it's almost like the concept of fun is subjective. Crazy, right?

You just described Greek mythology. So the real question, why read inferior imitators when you can read the original?

We already know the answer: plebs.

What appeal do you get from posting on a board of such shit quality?

It's simple, easy and provides quick pleasure.

>why read inferior imitators when you can read the original?

You sure you're not the pleb? I read fantasy because I've read the Greeks worth reading several times.

He made a statement that is just very true. With time you'll get bored with seriousness, and you may need something to "deload". There's no (necessary) reason. You just do it for the sake of it lol it's not like it requires much effort... after reading "heavy" books you'll just stroll through them.

It does not mean that becoming a contrarian edgelord is the end-goal of reading; it just means you'll drop this "pleb and patrician" façade, except for shitposting purposes. In sum, you'll read whatever shit you feel like

>greeks were imitators

Not even starting with the original stuff yourself. I bet you even read the Greeks in translation too, you pleb.

You can find about anything fun, doesn't mean your fun is legitimate.

>I'm a faggot and I can't accept that people enjoy things that I don't like
>-OP

Entire thread is trash.

Why is it always anime posters who are making the "x is subjective" arguments?

Is it because they are more turned inward and towards fantasy and the ideal?

>tfw I only have legitimate fun

Escapism.

If you are so self conscious about being seen or known to enjoy 'trash' novels then you've got nothing to brag about enjoying 'proper' books.

You'd need to apply that logic to the rest of your life/activities.
You can never watch a less than perfect film.
You can never eat fast food.

Might as well just tattoo "Fedoraman" on your forehead and be done with it.

A person always seeking quality for the sake of quality and not enjoyment is compensating for his/her own poor qualities. They think associating themselves with something of quality would make themselves better as people.