How do I read dactylic hexameter Latin poetry when it's translated to English

How do I read dactylic hexameter Latin poetry when it's translated to English.

For example, how should I read this out loud?:

"I sing of warfare and a man at war.
From the sea-coast of Troy in early days
He came to Italy by destiny,
To our Lavinian western shore,
A fugitive, this captain, buffeted"

just learn latin. Shouldn't take longer than 6 months.

Well that's blank verse (iambic centimeter).
You would have to read it in Latin for dactylic hexameter.
The feet are different in both languages anyways. English is stress based and Latin is syllable length based.

>For example, how should I read this out loud?

Completely up to you. The Latin text is the only version that has a correct and incorrect way of doing so.

see

Really? I thought most languages require a year to become proficient on the elementary level.

Assuming you're fluent in English, Latin can be learned in half the time of another language if you're dedicated. It's just backwards at times. It can probably even be learned in less than 4 months if you're just wanting to read it easily.

Read lingua latina. All of it, and then read book two. Do every exercise.
Have fun, the textbooks are all free online. I just googled lingua latina and it popped right up in pdf form

That's because you need to learn to write and speak most languages.

It's far easier to just learn to read.

I got to an intermediate level of Ancient Greek in six months tbf famalam

I'm fluent in latin and ready to begin ancient greek--

Where do I start?
Give me the complete rundown.

Thanks cutie

I used the Hermaion textbook and the Ragon grammar. Start reading with Xenophon's Anabasis.

It's impossible to keep the meter exact in a translation. If you want, get it in the original language so you can sound out the rhythms and rhymes in conjunction with English so you can actually understand it.

Is it possible to learn two languages at once?

I want to take Latin and German this year.... a local school is offering both. Is this retarded or brilliant?

I'm a devoted student btw, I can focus quite well.

I learned 3 languages in one year.

You can do it.

No, human being were not meant to learn two things at once. I once tried to study maths and biology at the same time and got a stroke

These guys are pranking you, or they're just retarded. With effort you might become able to read simplistic texts like Caesar or Vulgate, but latin poetry would shatter your balls.

No it would not. If he practiced an hour a day for at least 3 and a half months, he would be just fine reading latin texts.

Maybe Caesar, not Virgil though.

I practiced Greek an hour a day for three weeks and now I read the Iliad casually, your shit is retarded

bullshit. What was your routine?

>Is this retarded or brilliant?
It's retardant
I really think this is going to slow you
down, better focus on just one at once.

Well, after learning ancient Greek in university and self studied for several years I practiced an hour a day for 3 weeks then just read it.

I've been working through Oreberg for a few months. The Vulgate is pretty approachable. Caesar is a challenge due to his habit of long sentences with lots of subclauses. Poetry is entirely incomprehensible at this point.

Noted. You can never tell with Veeky Forums

Like this:

Arma virumque cano, Troiae qui primus ab oris

Arms and the man I sing, of Troy who first from the shores

Don't let Fitzgerald fuck you up. I loved his Iliad and Odyssey (but I don't know Greek).

I read his Aeneid before I learned Latin, and there are times where I really don't like how he translated it.

There is a lot of wiggle room in terms of translation from Latin to English, but sticking to the original as close as possible is best. And I don't know why he decides to write in blank verse either. Might as well just give us a prose translation and be as close as possible to the original.

yeah it's absolutely retarded to think one can read Latin verse (especially Golden age poets) with 6 months of Latin.

btw I put everything in it's original word order there, the line sounds fine except the 'of Troy...the shores' of course it is the shores of Troy.

>this is what the brainlet believes

You're so stupid, stop posting