>Crime & Punishment
>Siddhartha
>Letters From a Stoic
>Tao Te Ching
>A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

>another teenage chart thread
fuck off to /mu/ and kys imbecile

>says my favorites are teenage tier
>does not know I have read the entire western canon and know 5 languages fluently
>does not know I'm super smart

Just shit the fuck up

He's right though. Your picks scream "I'm edgy and need attention."

Odyssey
Complete Works of Shakespeare
Ulysses
In Search of Lost Time
War and Peace

Nobody gives a shit about your picks. Go be super smart somewhere else, cumstain.

And your taste is still this basic? You're digging yourself deeper lad

Try hard

>be super smart
>still make the most idiotic post of the day

I took a creative nonfiction course with David Wallace at Ponoma back in '94. We weren't allowed to show anyone our essays outside of the class for some reason. He seemed naturally intelligent, didnt need to look at any notes or textbooks or prepare for any lectures, he just knew his stuff and was super casual.

I saw him talking to a girl on campus one day. He uncharacteristically wore a Fila sweatsuit, the kind that looks like it's made from the same material as parachutes, and trainer sneakers with a matching bandana. That was his pussy hunt outfit apparently. Several times a week, same outfit, I'd see him hitting on women in it. I once saw him wearing it while carrying an identical outfit from the dry cleaners, he had like 4 sets of same Fila sweatsuit.

I asked him about it in class and he said we aren't allowed to discuss anything unrelated to class while inside class, the same way we can't show anyone outside of class our essays. A student called out "but Dostoevsky isn't in this class and last week you talked about replicating his black tea obsession to test its affects on your own writing". Wallace stared blankly at the student with dead eyes for 30 seconds in dead silence then said "you just got knocked down a full letter grade. Any other smart asses? Didn't think so." and pushed up his glasses with his index finger.

I remember telling myself this guy will either be super successful or kill himself.

>The Sot-Weed Factor
>Against the Day
>Infinite Jest
>Women and Men
>The Recognitions

I have a thing for tomes.

Oblomov
Against Nature
Notes from Underground
A Confederacy of Dunces
Whatever

>Crime & Punishment
Babby's first serious read.
>Siddhartha
>A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Coming-of-age/Bildungsromane.
>Letters from a Stoic
>Tao Te Ching
Literal guidebooks for teenagers on how to be an adult.

Unless you are literally a teenager there's no excuse to have a taste this basic.

rasta pasta

Are you writing a thesis on autistic neetdom or actively pursuing this patrician lifestyle?

I'm living the lifestyle, friend.

>5/5 American pomo mediocrity
Harold, is that you?

babby tier top 5 coming through
>an american tragedy
>elmer gantry
>wise blood
>the sound and the fury
>darkness at noon

also i don't read enough non-anglosphere literature, so if you want, please recommend me some

what translation of the odyssey
also i've tried several times and i can't get through ulysses

just ordered notes from underground
i'm excited for this one

>don't read enough non-anglosphere literature
>please recommend me some
How about ?

i mean based on the books in my top 5, what non-anglosphere authors should i check out

Any and all classics you haven't read. You'd be in position to ask for recommendations once you cover the basics.

t. elitist pseud

In order:
>Moby Dick
>Journey to the End of the Night
>The Book of Disquiet
>The Sound and the Fury
>The Waves

Describe me based on my taste.

I tried reading crime and punishment in my senior high school year and just couldn't do it.

Why not? I read it in my senior year and I was properly engaged in it.

I had to finish it for a class senior year, but I agree, it was terribly dull.

>hunger games
>harry potter
>the hobbit
>divergent
>Marley and me

>bonus: Webster Canadian dictionary

I have read the English works you listed. Did you read the other two in translation?

I would say based on the three I've read that you have good taste and an appreciation for modernist narratives and aesthetics over plot but that isn't saying much for this board - you could be a genuinely insightful reader or a dilettante who picked a couple books you thought were zany because you thought they'd make you seem smart. Or you could be somewhere in the middle like myself.

I just found it dull. Ive always been more into writers like Lovecraft (not just that Cthulhu crap). Probably didn't help that my English teacher was a huge c*** and I was too busy getting off to a physics text.

are you my girlfriend?

I read translations of Journey and BoD.

I'd describe myself as somewhere in the middle as well. Working on a PhD in mathematics so I put most of my time into that, but often feel torn between math and literature.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? - I once was on a math/science path and completely abandoned it overnight almost, around the time I turned 20.

And how the fuck are you able to do anything recreational while on a PhD?

Why is he a try hard? Because he read critically acclaimed classical literature and enjoyed it?

You sound salty cause you'll never read all those books. Go back to your sci-fi.

Tell me about Joyce... Why does he love the farts?

I'm 24. I'm just in my 2nd year of grad school so I'm not really in full PhD/research mode yet. Passing my last qualifying exam this summer, and then that changes.

What caused you to abandon it?

Dunno, general watching of parents/older relatives/family friends going through existential crises. Figured I'd also just didn't care enough to do better in exams than the people who really genuinely loved it and didn't just fall for STEM meme like me - if you've gotten to 24 and the same thing hasn't happened to you then you're obviously fine.

I was one of those kids who would fuck around all year then cram and be all smug about effort/grade ratios when I got my results, you know the type - I wasn't cut out for the academic world.

I'm gonna stop posting my diary desu now cause I need to work but hope you get the idea and PhD goes ok.

>he hasn't read a single one

>I have read the entire western canon
That's over a thousand books man, bullshit you've read all of them

He's probably read the key ones Bloom touched on.

Thanks for sharing (genuinely).

>War and Peace.
>The Brothers Karamazov.
>Life and Fate.
>Crime and Punishment.
>Anna Karenina.

Jane Eyre
Candide
The Aleph (the short story collection, not just the one story)
Lolita
Doctor Faustus

My list has no structure.

>American Psycho
Someone is probably going to call me edgy, but this book had a sense of humor in it which I haven't been able to find in other books, and some of the passages captured the dissolution of perception very well.

>Frankenstein
Someone is probably going to say that it is dumb sci-fi for bored women, but I really enjoyed the entreaties of Frankenstein's monster. It was a well-executed portrayal of isolation.

>Lolita
I enjoy the prose. I would love to read more books that have romantic characters but which aren't romance novels if anyone has recommendations.

>Metamorphosis
Yeah. His other novels are good too, but this was my favorite.

>The Ego and Its Own
Dissenters have either not read it, do not understand it, or are inhabited by spooks.