LOTR

Prove to me LOTR will be timeless faggots, people don't even read it nowadays.

People don't read anything nowadays. All of literature is sliding into obscurity. Welcome to the post-literate society.

Why should I?

It's just first of many annoying fantasy novels.
If you have to read something from Tolkien, just read SIlmarillion.

>unironically reading the proper nouns book

More people read now more often than ever before in history.

This "glory days" perception of literature where everyone was reading Shakespeare and Milton is a fantasy with no actual basis.

>More people read tweets, texts and Facebook updates more often than ever before in history.
ftfy

There are more people alive today, much larger percentages of the populated that are literate, and absurdly more available books. It is fucking unthinkable that more people don't read, and read more, than in the past, regardless of how small the percentage of the general population that reads anything of sophistication is. There's still more people reading such than ever.

Ok so I'm reading LOTR and they've just met Tom. He talks to them about space-magic for two weeks, flaunts his sexy river-wife and uses the one ring as a conversation piece. How does this progress the story in any way?

It fills in some of the background of Tolkien's setting.

If you're not reading LotR for the journey, you're not reading it for the right reasons. What do you think that huge map folded into the endpapers is for?

The Silmarillion is his best work anyway

it's mostly filler. jackson made a lot of good decisions when cutting things out of the book.

Like all of the character development?

like a lot of the filler
>tom bombadil
>merry and pippin sleeping forever in fangorn forest
>the fight for the shire at the end

The movie adaptations pretty much ensures its popularity.

>not liking the Scouring of the Shire

This is the ultimate separator of plebs from patricians when it comes to LOTR.

I bet you wanted the army of the dead to actually appear at the Pelennor, too.

If you ever come across the Eagles debate (or, indirectly, the Wings debate), you would do good to remember Tom Bombadillo.
The world is a big place, and Sauron and the Ring are regional concerns.

>progress the story

>scouring of the Shire
>filler

This must be bait.

Reminder that Balrogs don't have wings

How old are you? Barely anyone reads literature nowadays, and less and less people will continue too. I'm not being a pessimist, just observing the state of things. Yes, people will be "literate" but they won't be reading novels, just things online or to communicate.