I bought myself a wok but apparently you can't wash them normally as its all rusty

I bought myself a wok but apparently you can't wash them normally as its all rusty.

What am is supposed to do and what is this seasoning shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hNPe5-swL-k
youtube.com/watch?v=UGXGJD2xTzQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scrub the rust off and season it.

What oil do I use? All websites just say "oil" which is fucking useless.

Put it on high heat for like an hour until all the coating wears off. Let it cool, scrub it in the sink then heat it up with some vegetable oil for 10 mins or so. Wash again. Wala

No joking, that's what the ching chongs at the shop told me when I bought my wok about 3 years ago.

Whatever is cheap, it doesn't matter. Vegetable based, obviously. Peanut if it's on hand and affordable in your ghetto.

Any cooking oil will work. So will rendered fat like lard, beef tallow, etc. That's why the sites just say "oil"--it doesn't matter which.

unless you're autistic.

There ARE better oils/fats to use, but by and large, any oil you use regularly should be fine.

10W-40 for the high heat

I gave the flax oil hype a try and the seasoning does seem smoother and more like a patine than a layer, but if I heat the pan too much (which you are supposed to do with woks) it can quite quickly burn off again I noticed.

Asians like to stirfry with peanut (arachide) oil, or soybean oil, so that'll probably be a safe bet if you need one.

Would not recommend gutter oil though.

kek

Fucking moron 10-40 isn't viscous enough. Use 5-20 like your honda.

You're supposed to pat them dry or place on the burner for a few minutes after washing because moisture is what's causing that rust.

First off, you need to scrub ALL of the wok with a brillo pad to get the protective coating off.

Then:
>put on gas burner
>Get it blazing hot (the carbon steel will start to turn a blue-ish color)
>Add a few cups of hot soapy water
>Swirl it around with tongs and a clean washcloth
>Dump the hot soapy water
>Rinse it out really well
>Put it back on the burner to dry it out
>Take the batteries out of your smoke detector
>Open all your windows
>Throw a spoonful of crisco in that bad boy
>Swirl it around with tongs and a clean washcloth. Don't catch the washcloth on fire.
>Get a thin coat of oil throughout the inside
>Let it smoke for a minute
>The steel should be turning dark brown or black
>Take it outside to cool
>Rinse it out, dry with heat, let it cool inside, put a very thin coat of oil on the inside. Ready for use or storage.
>Don't even worry about washing the exterior of the wok, for authentic flavor.

I drive a Yaris, jerk.

>not seasoning your pan with the ShelBroCo chain lube system
filthy cagers go back to Veeky Forums

Flaxseed is scientifically best for seasoning, but pretty much any will work.

O shit bro I didn't see you in my mirrors. Sorry about your lost legs.

You must have me confused with someone you actually ran over. Sorry I accidentally punched your side mirrors off, but you looked like you needed it.

>not using clp

kbam, that's indeed the best way to season your wok!

LMAO!!! Bump your head on the ground to many times buddy!

Serious question: would anything bad happen to you if you drank / cooked with natural petroleum oil? (Ie without additives)

brain damage, liver failure, toxic farts

Googled and answered my own question: food grade mineral oil exists but is indigestible. On the plus side this means it has no calories and doesn't go rancid, but on the minus it's a laxative. It's what they use on those low calorie potato chips that cause anal leakage.

youtu.be/hNPe5-swL-k

I don't think she made enough wok puns

>mfw my oven is too small to put my skillet or wok in.
..and pretty much all instructions involve putting it in an oven for a while.

>In china they don't have ovens
Maybe not, but their stoves are practically flamethrowers.

to many times what?

>>mfw my oven is too small to put my skillet or wok in.
>..and pretty much all instructions involve putting it in an oven for a while.

You don't have to put it into an oven, user. That's just one suggestion that gets commonly repeated because it's so easy.

Anything that heats the wok sufficiently will work. I coat my woks with oil and then just hold them over my propane burner to season.

both of these are good lists, you want a very high smoke point oil with a neutral flavor, cheapest likely being soybean or peanut. it's not terrible to just use generic "vegetable oil" which is usually canola, despite there being better ones.

once you have your wok entirely cleaned and scrubbed, wipe the inside thoroughly with the oil until it's completely covered, and maybe a second time to be sure. heat on stovetop highest heat for 10 minutes, from there you can either stick it in your oven for a few hours, or keep it on the stovetop for an hour or so, the key point being that all the water has vaporized out of the pores, but all the oils are left in. you can repeat this process if you wish to be sure of your seasoning.

you shouldn't need to season but once every year or two, and you can easily clean a well seasoned pan after use with nothing but a paper towel, assuming the pan is still warm.

keep in mind that when stir frying, use more oil than you think you should. traditional stir frying at restaurants in asia will completely submerge the food in oil, pulling it out with metal strainer ladles. huge fucking woks with jet style furnaces under them and peddle controls for the gas.

*pedal, sorry, kinda just wanted to hit post

useful, saved.

Not sure how helpful this is with seasoning though, because flaxseed and soybean oil are considered the best choices, while they're miles apart in smoke point.

that's unrefined flaxseed oil, which has the lowest smoke point of virtually any cooking oil

if you season with flaxseed, you get the extremely refined and organic type that they use for omega-3 supplements.

the problem with this is the fickle nature of what you're getting compared to the consistent nature of buying refined cooking oils from specific manufacturers. it's definitely wisest, chepest, and easiest to just go with your favorite soybean or peanut oil, which you should have at home for high heat frying anyway. because if you care enough to season your own pan, you should care enough to have good cooking oil options

sesame seed oil is probs most appropriate for the majority of things youd cook with a wok

Never getting hot enough to even matter.

>Wala

My friend found a work on his father's shed that must have been there for years
He left it in vinegar for a couple days and scrubbed the rust off
Dumbass was going to throw it away before asking

>Not using wd-40

Go ask your local jet burner enthusiasts club to do it for you on a quiet day.

>Being this new

>dub dubs

Kind of but never use olive oil or low smoke point oil. Chinks use vegetable or peanut oil so i would use that.

Lower numbers are less viscous, genius.

Fucking plebs.
0w20 for stir-fry, straight hydraulic fluid (or 50w) for deep frying.
Personally, I season my wokka wokka with Remington Oil.

more intensity

By "normally" you mean the dish washer? That happens with all aluminum.

Ahh. My bad.

That's actually not seasoning he's doing. That's how they clean their woks, and he's just cleaning a new one, likely before seasoning it. That's just a water scrub he's doing.

Sometimes those places don't even season woks because they essentially deep fry everything, but that is a very small wok for that style so it's likely about to be seasoned.

youtube.com/watch?v=UGXGJD2xTzQ

ching chong detected

but it is exactly how you should do it

>Not simply using teflon spray

and remember kids, don't try this at home

Oh... You sure? I've just ordered a set of afterburners.

rest in pepsi