Fringe Science

Are there fringe theories in your field which you think are correct?

E.g. Bohmian mechanics.

Other urls found in this thread:

julianjaynes.org/julian-jaynes-theory-overview.php
julianjaynes.org/myths-vs-facts-about-julian-jaynes-theory.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

boltzmann brains

Ordered water

Racial iqs

IUT

You mean polywater?

Hetrarchial organization of living systems.
Life itself mereological whole(one thing)
Life itself has a purely phenomenological entity
Niche construction, sorta
Biosemiotics which is a sort of fringe field, its not like it is a discordant science, it's just pretty compartmentalized. That is changing, it's gaining more and more relevance. BIosemiotics is heavy with philosophy and I think that keeps it from being such a hot topic since quantification and computation are the flavor of the decade. People aren't concerned with things that can't be put into an equation in general now adays, I think That has to do with society being under bureaucratic hegemony of private and state powers that are likewise are only concerned with people as they can be put into equations.

but that's not really fringe is it? I guess once you start talking about quantum effects it can be considered a little wacky.

Not really but kinda. More like transient superordered structures in water that, through clever surface design, can produce non-transient structures.

That's not fringe. Nobody has ever produced satisfactory evidence for the ridiculous claim that all human populations have the same genotypical IQ.

>Fringe theory
>IUT
Someone either doesn't know any math or desn't know what fringe theory means

how is that a fringe theory?
based on our current understandings could a fully formed brain appear out of thin air? yeah it's 1 in like a googleplex googleplex googleplex chance of happening but still.

Not really a scientific theory but I think sadism and cruelty is by far the most effective group activity to create a strong group cohesiveness and sense of belonging to the ingroup.

Not enough time in the universe for it to be probable, but possible? I guess so.

Someone else.
The "arrow of time" was apparently set by the improbably low entropy state following the Big Bang. Boltzmann thought that was even MORE unlikely than a brain spontaneously assembling out of random fluctuations.

I find it interesting that used Bohmian mechanics as an example. Bohm mostly lost out to the Copenhagen Interpretation because it demanded non-locality. That was considered "too weird". Now it seems that the universe really is non-local, so Bohm is being reconsidered. At least by some physicists. It does have the advantage of doing away with the collapse of the wave-function.
Not my field, so I wouldn't hazard a guess as to whether it might be correct.

>starts thread asking for fringe theories from personal field
>whines at every poster that they're not fringe enough
Fucking autists, man.

Bohm is the real mvp

bohmian doesn't take relativity into account
'tis but a toy hypothesis

>Boltzmann thought that was even MORE unlikely than a brain spontaneously assembling out of random fluctuations.
Well, it is.

AAA AAA AAA OOO OOO OOO

I don't understand the significance of the boltzmann brain, why is it interesting that a brain could appear out of chaos? by that reasoning, anything could be formed out of chaos, so what's the significance of it being a brain?

Because you don't know that you aren't a boltzman brain.

I'd like to hear your explanation of this.
I am aware how selfishness and xenophobia helps group's cohesivness but never before have i even thought of sadism.

julianjaynes.org/julian-jaynes-theory-overview.php

julianjaynes.org/myths-vs-facts-about-julian-jaynes-theory.php

it's completely irrelevant though

MiHsC