Do you guys have a personal "bible"? Just a book that you've read a lot and has had a profound impact on your life...

Do you guys have a personal "bible"? Just a book that you've read a lot and has had a profound impact on your life. I've kind of always been looking for one. I don't even know how the idea got into my head.

The Iliad. It tells you everything you need to know to live a good life and more.

If you want to go an extra step further start with the Sumerians and the epic of Gilgamesh.

Stop seeking certains. Embrace the caos.

My diary desu

Or is it a manifesto?

No, I am getting too old for that shit. I need more routine.

I've read TLotR dozens of times. Not because it's profound or informative, but because it is beautiful, and returning to it provides a sort of solidity and grounding and is a real source of comfort always available to me.

Comfort counts. I didn't articulate it well.

KJV

My history teacher in high school would always carry with him 'what would keith richards do?'

Being and Time

Wallace Stevens' collected poems

Das kapital.

For me it's Free Software Free Society. It's just a collection of very short essays off gnu.org/philosophy, which is more up to date.

Another case of the ol' fpbp, folks. We seem to be getting more of them these days.

unironically Infinite Jest.

I have a small new testament + psalms

>Das kapital.

Tolstoi's kingdom of God is within you

>overanalyzing

Iliad is old book, and it can't possibly gives answers to your modern day problems. You are just using your own brain actually, it's not the Iliad.

Dante's Purgatorio probably.
Also all of Mishima's books have had a huge impact on me, which is weird because I don't even remotely share most of his political and philosophical views, but his books impact me greatly nonetheless.

kristin lavransdatter. read it as a teenager and long story short now i live in rural norway lol

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius

Made me a man.

Stale bait

Where do you come from originally?

On topic: Growth of the soil - Hamsun

Tao te Ching
On certainty by Ludwig Wittgenstein

Oddly enough, but Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky

Specifically his chapter "on means and ends"

Book of the New Sun made me religious.
Just because it showed me that religious belief can take plausible forms, and is defendable rationally.

Bart's Guide to Life desu

The selfish gene
The god delusion
Singularity is near

Beowulf

I have read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Junky about 10 times a piece.

Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals

The fall by camus

>looking for a bible
>it can't be the bible though

> The Iliad. It tells you everything you need to know to live a good life and more.

It's just a bunch of battle scenes, speeches, and gods throwing hissy fits. Where are you getting all this life advice stuff from?

unironically same. Also, the Tao te Ching to some extent, though I'm not Taoist. A certain Tom Robbins novel, as well but that's even sillier of an answer than IJ.

When I was young it was, coincidentally enough, A Rebours.

Instead of turning into a christfag like Huysmans as I got older, my new life manual is The Technological Society.

I'vegot a book of Kipling's short stories, read it at least a dozen times.

Somalia.

so you'll become a christfag like ellul?

At different times The Pickwick Papers, Wordsworth's poetry and Keats's odes.

If you knew how to read, you'd know it's a secular work. None of his premises are dependent upon accepting jewslave poison ideology. Huysman's following novels were explicitly religious, a result of a complete failure of will.

>Religion
>Can be defended rationally

It's 2017, for fucks sake user

The Shining. I know King is a meme but its a great book. Scary with interesting history around the hotel and personal issues and character relations.

Illuminations by Rimbaud

Something happened by Joeseph Heller. He knows what happens to people living life in normie jobs all too well and how robots really feel. When i grow up i want to be a little boy desu

The Complete Poetry & Prose of William Blake

Sabato's novels, Beckett's drama, and Shakespeare's works.

I couldn't pick just one, perhaps Sabato's Abaddon el exterminador. But those three are the ones I keep turning to again and again.

people shouldn't be allowed to read nietzsche

Jupiter's Travels. I always find myself drawn to it in times of stress and depression

The Iliad, by far.

Unironically The Silence of the Lambs. I read it at least once a year. I've read all of Harris' others but I always come back to this one. I'm not even that much into thrillers, but I love the subtle poetry in the curtness of his sentences. Isn't too verbose like Hannibal Rising, or as disgusting as Hannibal. Dunno what it is that I just love reading this book.

Not necessarily bad though. Meditations affected me strongly as well

Pedro Páramo. It is one of the first pieces of literature I ever read and it showed me what a book could be. For old normie me this shit hit like a truck.

Yes, much better to stay in the dark and a thrall to the profit-maximization machine fueled by human blood. Don't worry about being a have-not, there's eternal heaven in store for you goy!

Where does Red Dragon fit onto that list? I paid actual money for it and don't have any of the rest of the series, so I'm really hoping it isn't like everyone else knows to skip Dragon to get to the good stuff.

Also nice digits etc.

Second to SOTL. Very good storytelling, with an almost journalistic feel to the police procedural prose. Dolarhyde's becoming and the William Blake references do the character study justice. My only gripe is that it reads a bit dated, and it's too Ellroyish. Nothing bad, of course, but it seems almost rushed. SOTL reads more beautifully and I LOVE Clarice as a character. Also, I know people shit on Harris' last two books as being cash cows, but Hannibal Rising was really good aswell. More of a gothic historical novel, but I liked his direction. You spent your money well, user. Hope you get around to reading all of them.

Infinite flippin Jest boi

"Now dat, Das Kapital!"
>laughtrack commences, credits roll to the sound of 80s guitar

book related

>American Psycho

I am what I read.

Oh the Places You'll Go!

Incredible book, Rulfo was the master of the short story.

I liked this one for similar reasons.

The only place he'll go is to a mental institution

I read the village of stepanchikovo twice a year for the past 6 or so years. Not sure why I just find myself picking it up and reading the first few pages just to revisit. Next thing I know I've read the whole thing again. Wouldn't consider it a personal bible though.

Hölderlin's mid-to-late period poems.

Ist unbekannt Gott? Ist er offenbar wie die Himmel?
dieses glaub' ich eher. Des Menschen Maaß ist's.
Voll Verdienst, doch dichterisch,
wohnet der Mensch auf dieser Erde. Doch reiner
ist nicht der Schatten der Nacht mit den Sternen,
wenn ich so sagen könnte,
als der Mensch, der heißet ein Bild der Gottheit.

Texas!

Murphy's Laws in one Volume.

Demian by Hesse, but I gifted my copy to someone else since

Good poet, My Spanish teacher has lent me a copy of Harmonium and it was awesome.

Crime and punishment, so sagte zerdushta

George Orwell's "lesser" works, including Homage to Catalonia, Down and Out in Paris and London, The Road to Wigan Pier, Keep the Aspidistra Flying, Coming Up for Air, A Clergyman's Daughter, and a collection of his essays.

have you read any didion?

ILLUMINATUS!

yes.
The Children of Húrin.

Trainspotting.

The Clown by Heinrich Böll

began with hölderlins translation of sophocles antigone this morning, im kinda new to reading and already feel quite stupid after a few pages

a supreme gentleman

Haha! Great!

Mine is Alice In Wonderland, since I was a child, it's majestic

I know this is Veeky Forums, but my own personal bible is Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle of Mystery by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. It's a graphic novel, sure, but I promise it reads like an actual novel with thought put into it rather than typical capeshit. It pretty much turned my life around when I first read it. It's a psychedelic, emotional, yet uplifting read. If you ever feel like shit and think the world is a terrible place where nothing good happens, it's a book that shows that optimism isn't stupid.

this

not to sound like a douche but Infinite Jest. I have an epub on my phone that I can look at when I'm bored or wanting a laugh.

Walden.

Anti-Oedipus
gotta curb my daily fascism outbreaks

A Thousand Plateaus

close second

>Anti-Oedipus
>A Thousand Plateaus

coincidence?

nope, repetition

nice, can't really read anti-oedipus without a thousand plateaus first desu

pretty true. wish someone had told me this before I read Anti-Oedipus since a lot of it was more understand retroactively after ATP. Probably gonna reread it soon now that I've read ATP multiple times

Good ones I considered, but overall pic related.

I'M SO INTELLECTUALLY SUPERIOR XDDDD #SCIENCE

Anti-Oedipus is just so much juicier. You want to dive right into it. But to be honest, they write like a bunch of schizos so you need that list of definitions.

>Demian
Why not one of Deepak Chopra's masterpieces?

Different user. You don't need to know shit about science to reject religion. I abhor how this kind of bullshit gets in this board. The beauty of the myths is remarkable, but this faith stupidity... for fuck's sake get out of here.

Boethius-Consolation of Philosophy

Ignatius?

Martyrdom of Man by William Winwood Reade.
I have a fair condition hardcover edition from 1925. Very quality advice on damn near everything, plus I get to feel "original" since this book is seemingly rare to hear about for some reason.

Leaves of grass. Not really for any spiritual reasons or life insight, I just really like the poetry

I read from this often too.
Of course.

Life doesn't have any endgoal but that's probably okay.