What nutrients does your brain require to function unimpeded?

And what're dietary sources of these nutrients?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/articles/s415[math][/math]38-017-0002-4
jlr.org/content/45/8/1375.long
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joim.12614/full
heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_466712.pdf
foodinsight.org/Eat_a_Rainbow_Functional_Foods_and_Their_Colorful_Components
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Glucose and amphetamines is all you need if you're not a brainlet.

potassium - bananas
Sodium - salt

Why does it always have to be constant memes? I'm not Erdős. I mean, the brain is largely cholesterol.

Hoping for some serious in-depth answers?

>>>/the library/

Holy fuck, Veeky Forums is actually dead.
Continue with your meme shitposting then, scumbag.

retained sperm

I've always been interested for a long time but not enough to do the full blown study of what we should be consuming daily/weekly/monthly and how much is necessary for top condition. My diet is very unbalanced and I have no idea how to grocery shop affordably and efficiently so I usually just order out or eat rice and beans. I really should eat more fruit, but I don't know what fruits and vegetables make a good mix for daily consumption. I just take multivitamins now and they seem to keep me going ok, but I don't notice anything different from eating shit food aside from feeling a little more energized.

All the ones your body needs. If your body dies then your brain dies too.

Functionally wrong, your brain can function without certain neurotransmitters, even though having them would be beneficial as you would function optimally.

top ramen noodles, coffee, and cigarettes...

well im still alive anyways, and people say im really smart.

I want to find a diet that gives you access to as many wider range of neurotransmitters and thus brain optimization as possible.

Glucose is the primary source of energy. You can make ketone bodies as an alternative via fatty acids. You can break down plenty of carbs to make glucose. Ketone bodies from fats/oils.

Transmitters like Dopamine are made from amino acids like Tyrosine. You can get them from eating protein. Animal products give you the full suite of 20 amino acids you want, while you'll need a couple different plants to get them all.

Med student here:

Humanity is notable for its adaptability. We can survive solely on seals in the Arctic or just on plant foods. What is best for the brain?

Well, you need your basic 3: fats, carbs, and proteins. Fats are especially important, because you brain is comprised of myriad fats. Fish and plant oils are best.

You also need vitamins and minerals. A good source is, like you had mentioned, fruits and veggies. It doesn't matter what combination; eat the rainbow (luckily, since white light contains all colors, you can continue your sperm sippin). You like beans and rice? Next time you make it, add a tomato or some garlic or a lime. Any time you eat anything, eat a fruit or vegetable. You want to eat as many colors in a day as possible.

Also, don't forget to fucking exercise. Regular aerobic exercise increases BDNF, a signal needed to lay down new brain connection pipes, if you will.

Some foods especially dank for the brain:
1. fish oils + phosphatidylserine (used to prevent dementia and improve mood)
2. nuts (good fats for structure)
3. beets (NO is released, lowering blood pressure and preventing strokes)
4. B vitamins and avoiding alcohol - alcohol prevents thiamine absorption. Avoid it and take a multivitamin to offset any alcohol that you do drink.

nature.com/articles/s415[math][/math]38-017-0002-4

jlr.org/content/45/8/1375.long
>Currently, there is no evidence for the net transfer of sterol from the blood into the brain or spinal cord. In adults, the rate of synthesis exceeds the need for new structural sterol, so that net movement of cholesterol out of the CNS must take place

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joim.12614/full
>In spite of the fact that there is no direct flux of cholesterol from the circulation into the brain, there are a number of negative effects of hypercholesterolaemia on brain function. Hypercholesterolaemia in mid-life is a known risk factor for Alzheimers disease [88]. Dietary cholesterol induces generation of beta-amyloid in experimental animals [89] and induces memory defects in mice [90]. Most of these effects of cholesterol may be caused by a metabolite of cholesterol, 27-hydroxycholesterol, that is able to pass the blood–brain barrier. There is a close relation between cholesterol and 27-hydroxycholesterol levels in the circulation [91]. Thus, high plasma cholesterol leads to high plasma levels of 27-hydroxycholesterol and increased flux of this oxysterol into the brain. Increased flux of 27-hydroxycholesterol into the brain leads to a number of negative effects including reduced uptake of glucose by the brain [6, 92], reduced levels of the ‘memory protein’ Arc (activity regulated cytoskeleton associated protein) in hippocampus [90], negative effects on spatial memory, and upregulation of the brain renin–angiotensin system [93]. Patients with Alzheimers disease have an accumulation of 27-hydroxycholesterol in the brain [94], although we do not know with certainty if this accumulation is a primary process or secondary to the neuronal degeneration.

>med student
>you want to eat as many colors in a day as possible
>the state

Remember that the OP is asking for specifics on fruit and vegetable combinations. Though advice to "eat foods of many colors every day" may sound juvenile, its usefulness as a heuristic is threefold:
1. it allows for the consumption of potentially beneficial micronutrients (e.g. polyphenols, isothiocyanates) whose metabolic effects may be contingent upon being consumed in whole foods (as opposed to an isolated supplement)
2. it is an easy-to-remember goal
3. it is a succinct, intuitive recommendation.

Medical schools teach us how to disseminate easily digestible forms of complex biological processes, because people of all backgrounds need our knowledge to make decisions about their health.

heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_466712.pdf

foodinsight.org/Eat_a_Rainbow_Functional_Foods_and_Their_Colorful_Components

the brain runs on sugars

Thank you for the insightfulness, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Keep your insulin sensitivity high. How you do this depends on your genetics. Some people can eat rice and beans their entire lives and never get diabetes, other can't. Get all of your minerals and vitamins. Everything else is literally a meme.

So, pescetarianism and cardio? Which appears to be the healthiest diet in which you can consume animal flesh.