“Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”

>“Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”

What did he mean by this?

He means he read it multiple times.

nah dude

Kek

American lit > British lit

This. And vapid cunts gonna write vapid cunt stuff in flowery syntax and call it great.
>But muh exploration of gender roles in a repressed society
Nobody cares.

100% for novels, brit 19th century novels are just water torture and put people off reading for life

19th century novels were just the reality tv and internet of the day....fodder for plebs who want distraction and flattery...........

That's all art desu. Even Mozart had to appease his patron's clumsy ears. No work will ever have more than the tiniest shred of truth and true greatness to it because of this inevitable push and pull between what the artist knows to be purely true and what he must do to provoke an audience into seeing this truth.

Stop.
The 19th century was really bad for art, but not because people sold themselves. The authors were at the level of the public, and wrote for them at their level. They were plebeians writing for plebeians.

Someone like Mozart composed (most of) his music for an aristocratic audience which already had an extended musical culture, and was able to understand exactly what he was doing ; he didn't have to make his music stupid or loud so that people would understand. The only "push and pull" he ever had to deal with, was the virtuosity present in his works for solo instruments.

I suppose the reading public, critics and academics were just pulling the wool over our eyes all along, and Austen bring in the literary canon is a practical joke or conspiracy.

personally I like the irony in the books.
Austen does irony better than a lot of male writers (I actually dislike Twain's humour, he oversteps the bounds of arrogance).

>Implying that moneyed aristocrats weren't superficial listeners of music
>Hurr I was taught to play the piano as a boy I know enough to judge Mozart
They were just as much of a circle jerk of pseuds as any other group of people. It's the same reason Chaucer told fart and fuck jokes. Don't put European aristocrats on an intellectual pedastal they hold no inherent right to.
It's just a boring subject matter that never delves into anything as insightful or as big as A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court or Pudd'n Head Wilson. She was, undoubtedly, a talented writer but she never attempted to tackle an issue outside of her class and social structure. I'm not sure what deep thing she was trying to prove with her stories. The fact that she was probably more naturally talented than Twain but squandered it on books that could have been bigger is probably what irked him the most.

>he thinks everyone is an anglo
hahaha kill yourself my man just end it ok

>He doesn't know Chaucer spent as much time in French courts as English
>He doesn't know the plantagenets were, themselves French
Get gud at history than get back to me.

She actually tried horror stories when she was young, but it didn't sell. The imagination was there.
And I dunno, it's an interesting perspective in the time, I think, though you're right it does get boring if you read more than one.

I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice, I'm halfway through. Why is this book considered a classic? The prose is shit and the plot is just another boring nineteenth century overly dramatic and moralistic piece of shit. Is there something I'm missing or is this book, in fact, shit?

Whenever I take up "Pride and Prejudice" or "Sense and Sensibility," I feel like a barkeeper entering the Kingdom of Heaven. I mean, I feel as he would probably feel, would almost certainly feel. I am quite sure I know what his sensations would be -- and his private comments. He would be certain to curl his lip, as those ultra-good Presbyterians went filing self-complacently along. ...

She makes me detest all her people, without reserve. Is that her intention? It is not believable. Then is it her purpose to make the reader detest her people up to the middle of the book and like them in the rest of the chapters? That could be. That would be high art. It would be worth while, too. Some day I will examine the other end of her books and see.

Ahahaha. The master at work.
>Is she trolling me?
>Is she trolling everyone?
>Nah it's shit
/Ourguy/

fuck

>hmmm not enough women in this canon
>hey here's this Austin or whatever chick
>yeah sure fuck it just throw it in
t. academics

wow

are you implying that's an accomplishment or something?

That he was secretly in love with her and wanted to give her the Dickens.

Now I'm tempted to pick up some of his nonfiction works

Lol

>What did he mean by this?
That he didn't get it. Nor do any of the faggots ITT.

Pride and Prejudice was satire, you fucktards. For its time, it was a highly subversive novel: an attack on the social and marital mores of the English middle class.

>Boring someone to death
>Le satire
>Le performance art
How bout you just make it good you cringey edge lord.

>Nor do any of the faggots ITT.

Faggots would unironically be into Austen. Shows what you know.

Dickens < Every other English writer

Oh, user: Twain GOT it. Read here: "She makes me detest all her people, without reserve."
He simply found the entire thing detestable, and rightly so. Twain is no passive-aggressive wilting violet, and thinks such a stance is, in a word, 'detestable'. What she described in her book, and the author herself, all detestable in their various ways.

>Twain is no passive-aggressive wilting violet
[citation needed]

This is the guy who wrote A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

What did he mean by this?

Have you read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?

No, they haven't read ANY Twain, which is hilarious!

If Twain was writing now he'd be John Oliver.

this

and in a jealous fit he wishes he could beat Jane Austen because he can't stand the fact that a woman was a better writer than he would ever be.

Yes. It is one of my favorite books.

You are worse than the Malazan memers.

It's just not passive aggressive in nature.