Just finished "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" , i just want to know Veeky Forums opinion on this book

Just finished "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" , i just want to know Veeky Forums opinion on this book.
I expected a different ending though.

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.420chan.org/deli/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dude drugs lmao.

I lost the dust jacket to my copy

Surprisingly dull and inauthentic, almost as if it's written by someone who's never done drugs. Or someone who wants to sell popular misconceptions about drug use back to the book-buying public.

Still, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Most of Thompson's work was just outright fucking lies. He was more concerned with cultivating notoriety than getting anywhere near the truth.

If you read it again in New Book+ mode you can get a different ending.

Based on your comment, is there any work you recommend for the whole picture of drugs culture?
>No cartels related books
>No medical literature

anyone ever read The Curse of Lono?

I'm kind of suspicious of the whole, "Dude, it's a super-rare print, so you need to pay fucking $50 just to get it!!!" thing, and the fact that almost everyone agrees HST's talent had died by the time he wrote it.

Funny, I'd say the exact same thing your post says, about your post.

Thompson was fucking obsessed with getting near the truth. Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 is a piece of GREAT political journalism, and Hell's Angels, while not as accomplished as '72, is still a very earnest book about the rise of the outlaw mentality throughout the 20th century.
If you think he only cared about being 'le badass whiskey man' then you either haven't read much of him or haven't given anything of what you've read much consideration.

didn't really like it. doing drugs yourself is a lot more fun than reading about people's surreal trips. it definetely has it's moments though. it's not that long either so just read it and see for yourself.

I paid a bunch for it. It's fucking terrible. Lots of padding out and the most exciting thing HST does is light some firecrackers.

That's what I figured it'd be.

It's fine. It's not Thompson's best work, and people treat it like a goddamn gospel when there's really no justification at all for that, but it's a fine book if you ever like that kind of thing.

that said, the Steadman art is first rate.

>I dislike it reactionarily because the annoying pseuds who somehow seem more articulate than me and get laid way more often enjoy it and I must define myself in opposition to this construction of a nemesis I have made to give my pitiful existence some semblance of meaning: the post.

XDXDXDXDXD

The ending of Fear and Loathing really peters out. It's the right choice though, the adrenaline (adrenechrome?) fades and the journey ends.

What is is then? Sports articles? I've only Campaign Trail left to read from him, and nothing else is as good as Fear and Loathing. Not that that one brilliant, but the rest just isn't up to it.

i especially liked the last say quarter of the book after he drops of his lawyer. his description of the hotel room made the book worth it. however it did kinda drag and im gonna be frank here i expected something like DFWs red lobster where a dumb event was infused with his vision on america and shit

*delets that adrenochrome part"

Have you ever lit firecrackers on shrooms? That shit will give you 'nam flashbacks.

Not an argument.

I think generally his articles / essays / journalism is stronger than his longer book-length stuff, particularly his sports stuff and his politics stuff. I think Strange Rumblings In Aztlan is probably his single strongest piece. But the Great Shark Hunt collection contains approximately 90% of what you would ever want to read from HST, for me, so basically just spend some time with that.

is fear and loathing on the campaign trail good as well?

>Thompson was fucking obsessed with getting near the truth.

As in "this near, and no nearer."

Do you know what he actually meant by "gonzo journalism?" He outright admitted that half the stuff he wrote was made up.

Oh, then we're in agreement. Thought you were talking about longer work.

Artists use lies to convey the truth user.

I was lighting some off when my brother and his girlfriend were on mushrooms.

I lit one of those spinning butterfly things, and our dog ran up and bit at it, then the damn thing went off in his mouth. He held it the entire time, like shaking his head trying to kill it.

I guess that kind of broke my brother's girlfriend's mind. She just sat on a couch and shivered the rest of the night.

>hallucinogenic acid
>chewing on adrenal glands
>generic "drugs" that do vaguely weird stuff

If you'd actually try reading the book under discussion, we wouldn't have to slow down the whole class by explaining it to you.

compared to kerouac, it's genius

I haven't read Campaign Trail in ages but I remember it being pretty good

To be honest, I'd just go to Erowid and read trip reports. Much more honest and factual than "drug literature."

www.erowid.org

>hallucinogenic acid

Uh...isn't that what acid does?

>chewing on adrenal glands

That's obviously fictional. He's actually being pretty clever in describing just how ridiculous and comical drug use can get.

>>generic "drugs" that do vaguely weird stuff

yeah....most drugs do vaguely weird stuff.

>If you'd actually try reading the book under discussion, we wouldn't have to slow down the whole class by explaining it to you.

once again, I can say the same thing about your post, about your post.

That's an awful story, thanks for sharing.

>Uh...isn't that what acid does?
Er, no. You're aware that the effects of acid are just the effects of acid. i.e. it's not a hallucination.

You haven't done acid, have you? You're just another pseud getting his vicarious kicks by reading about things, instead of doing them. Bet it makes you feel all edgy and subversive, doesn't it?

>Er, no. You're aware that the effects of acid are just the effects of acid. i.e. it's not a hallucination.

Uh...yeah dipshit. Like....you can drink so much that the world is spinning around you, but that's just the effects of the alcohol, the world isn't really spinning.

>You haven't done acid, have you?

You haven't done acid, have you?

He consumes a lot of drugs and does speak about the druug culture of the time but other themes that seemed inportant to him are the Vietnam war, President Nixon, and the American Dream.

Before reading this book I did not know about Gonzo Journalism or Hunter S. Thompson.
I had watched the movie but I had no idea that it was an account of "true" events.

It led me to think about the way news is presented to the public. Is the dry timbre of objective journalism the best way to inform?
This type of journalism does not pretend to be objective. We see the events unrepentantly through the eyes of the author. We assume all his biases and blind spots.
I think his style of news is useful when commenting on highly contextual cultural events.

>You haven't done acid, have you?
Holy shit, you're hardcore into projection, aren't you?

Yes, I've done acid. No, it's not hallucinogenic. I've also done actual hallucinogenics like ayahuasca and salvia. Maybe you'd better do what I suggested here and learn the difference.

>Holy shit, you're hardcore into projection, aren't you?

Holy shit, you're hardcore into projection, aren't you?

>Yes, I've done acid.

no you haven't.

> No, it's not hallucinogenic.

Yes it is.

>Maybe you'd better do what I suggested here and learn the difference.

Maybe I won't.

Fucking kek
Underrated

Its a good glimpse into the mindset of a degenerate in the early 70s
And the general mood of the times
And its nifty to see shit that you could never get away with now

Can you speak more on the "New Book Mode"?

>Yes, I've done acid. No, it's not hallucinogenic.
what are you on about

I've done a shitload of acid, and it's absolutely hallucinogenic.
Maybe you didn't take enough tabs. I maxed out at 8.

he means reading the book a second time

>engages full anal-retentive mode

have fun not taking acid at all the parties you don't get invited to, bro.

Are you fucking retarded?
You have clearly never done any hallucinogen, acid/shrooms/mescaline isnt 'hur dur see pink elephants' that normies who have never done it think it is,but is absolutely can do the shit thompson says it does

Please stop being a shut in weeb and actually be a degenerate retsrd befor posting about on the subject

Its an okay book. not his best. If you like HST you'll enjoy it, it has great artwork. I got it from the library.

I mean, A dumb event was infused with his vision on america. It was when they went to the taco stand man.

His best is undeniably fear and loathing on the campaign trail
Las vegas is good,but also meme tier
The rum diary is first novel tier
Curse of lono is aite
Everything post 92 is mybrainisfried tier

I actually really like rum diary, it's this pointless, meaningless novel about pointless and meaningless people just kind of wandering around aimlessly and drinking.

I love hey rube which is post 92.
because I love his mix of early 2000s politics with sports.
but yeah its diffidently my brain is fried tier. But if you are a fan of his you realize that his brain was fried since he was a young child.

wut?

The book and the movie glamourise drug taking and turned many hapless youths into degenerate pill popping marijuana addicts.

He's one of the only writers in the sixties who didn't paint drugs as an opening to truth or a tool for societal progress.

and boards.420chan.org/deli/

>it's this pointless, meaningless novel about pointless and meaningless people just kind of wandering around aimlessly and drinking.

This describes about half of Memeingway's books.

A farewell to arms.

Hells Angels and Campaign Trail aren't Gonzo, they're New Journalism.
Gonzo only applies to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Kentucky Derby and a few other of his articles.
Most of the time he's just an edgier Tom Wolfe with less annoying prose.

That's why I like Hemingway too.

You just like it because of the cucking scene dont you

if you're not getting the oversized taschen reprint you can usually find the paperback for $8 or less

did you really go through the trouble to post with this completely lame, overused to the point of meaningless insult?

Thompson was a huge Hemingway fan and Rum Diary was one of his first attempts at writing anything long, so it's no surprise that it's similar to The Meme Also Rises.

I've read pretty much all his stuff (except his correspondence), and basically he fell off a cliff sometime in the late 70s. Literally almost everything he wrote before the late 70s is worth reading, almost nothing he wrote after the late 70s is worth reading.

It was a joke you autist

Never thought of it that way

it had an ending?

>Yes, I've done acid. No, it's not hallucinogenic
lol did you get ripped off for a 20 buck hit and convince yourself you didn't get ripped off? you seem like the kind of person you could sell fake drugs to at a 1000% mark up.

It's pretty good, but unfortunately, there a large majority like this dipshit:
who doesn't have any critical ability and focuses entirely on the fact that they take drugs. Just like people who think Holden is just whiney, the emotional toll it'd take to explain to every single moron how they're wrong would probably kill you.

Yeah, the guy killed himself, haven't you heard?

You have to drink a lot of alcohol to hallucinate pink elephants. Oh, and you also have to BE an elephant.