How can I learn differential equation if I'm a brainlet?

how can I learn differential equation if I'm a brainlet?

Other urls found in this thread:

mathematics.pitt.edu/sites/default/files/Word_Files/2164 1270syllabus_0.pdf
pitt.edu/~evt3/0290/Math0290_Syllabus_2017.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just read a book or something. Normal differential equations are brainlet tier shit.

Simplify like this:
[eqn]\frac{\mathrm dy}{\mathrm dx}\,=\,\frac yx[/eqn]

[math]\frac{f'}{f} = \frac{d}{dx}ln(f)[/math]

Memorize this and you can easily solve anything that matters.

"Ordinary Differential Equations" by Tenenbaum & Pollard
"Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Farlow
"Mathematics for Physicists" by Dennery & Krzywicki

Introductory ODE is The brainlet's class.
Just memorize/cheat. It's one of the few math subjects where you can do it.

I understand after I made this. I'm still a brainlet though.

import math
startValue = 5.0
value = startValue
k = 5.0
time = 1
frameRate = 10000000
for i in range(0, frameRate * time):
value *= 1 + (k / frameRate)
print value
print startValue * math.e**(k * time)

Why does a brainlet even need to know differential equations?

Even better, just memorize [math]\mathrm{d}\log x = \frac{\mathrm{d} x}{x}[/math]

Why do universities offer a Differential Equations course and then an Ordinary Differential Equations course? Is there any advantage to taking one over the other? I thought regular differential equations were ordinary differential equations?

Is Khan Academy any good?

>differentials
brainlet

>Why do universities offer a Differential Equations course and then an Ordinary Differential Equations course? Is there any advantage to taking one over the other? I thought regular differential equations were ordinary differential equations?

It might be aimed at math majors rather than engineering or physics majors. Or it could be a second course.

>using R

I think your first thought is probably more reasonable. What might the difference be between the two (eng/physics vs. math)? Simply more theory?

Do you know if there's any particularly strong advantage to taking one of the other for grad school? I'm a CS major but idk if it's worth taking ODE over normal DiffEq.

>not using R

Post the syllabi

Ok, this is for ODE: mathematics.pitt.edu/sites/default/files/Word_Files/2164 1270syllabus_0.pdf

and this is for regular DiffEq: pitt.edu/~evt3/0290/Math0290_Syllabus_2017.pdf

The diff eq class does some PDEs and ODEs less in depth. It teaches more of what a non-math major would need to know about Differential equations general, with more practical applications.

The ODE class only does ODEs and goes into the theory more. Intended for math majors who would study PDEs afterwards.

not really, a math major ODE class would do qualitative study of orbits, topological properties and poincare-bendixson

Find me one syllabus for an undergraduate ODE class containing all three those topics.

The one I took had those topics and much more. I'm not posting mine though, and I'm not going to indulge you by googling for another one when you could do it yourself.

I'm a CS major planning to minor in math and stats. I want to eventually go to grad school for CS (somewhere related to robotics). Which one should I take?

Most Differential Equations classes are 1st order, 2nd order, nth order, systems of equations and 2 more topics (usually series solution, more involved numerical methods, Laplace methods, crash course in PDEs, intro chaos/nonlinear, or theoretical concerns).

ODE I covers intro Chaos/Nonlinear and Theory: Wronskians & Existence and Uniqueness
DE covers Laplace Transforms and baby's first PDEs aka Separation of Variables and Fourier Series (many schools do this to avoid a fifth course on pdes)

ODEs II is just nonlinear dynamics and chaos
PDEs (1470) does Laplace too and covers PDEs in much more depth

the one which uses the computer and numerical methods in matlab

d-do you go to Pitt as well? :3

Do ODEs