Why is continental philosophy so much better than any other kind of philosophy?

Why is continental philosophy so much better than any other kind of philosophy?

Why are you such s faggot

>two charlatans conspire to attain tenure and fame

It was the perfect crime.

it's intentionally obscure for people who like reading and talking

it doesn't actually lead to truth effectively

Gender is a performative act, user

So is shitposting.

its intentionally obscure so only the right type of people could understand it without the writer being literally killed. considering that isnt a problem anymore they just obscurely because thats the tradition. "it doesn't actually lead to truth effectively" Someone who reads philosophy can't with a straight face just throw this out there. Deep down you know this was a stupid sentence

Because its conclusions actually mean something, as opposed to analytical philosophy. Wittgenstein being the only noteworthy exception.

What an embarrassing post. Nobody cares about your flailing justifications for a self-important and utterly vacuous philosophical tradition. There's just nothing of interest there. Glorified socioeconomic "philosophy" that takes us down a path to nothing. The continentals with any sense focused on phenomenology. Husserl and Heidegger are the only continentals worth any time expended whatsoever

If gender is a performative act, how come Judith Butler looks like a man? Couldn't she just performatively look like a woman?

GG cultural marxists.

Because they realize that the only meaningful truths are subjective.

She performatevely looks like a butler

You either completely misunderstood my post or are triggered by the second part of my past

>Why is continental philosophy so much better than any other kind of philosophy?

Because it liberates the author from such limiting constraints as "truth", "reason", and "logic".

Makes it so much easier to be totally awesome.

Lesbians who look like Micheal Douglas shouldn't get an opinion on gender roles. They're too biased.

Reading French continental philosophy is like having a pity fuck. It has accomplished nothing other than financially bankrupting philosophy departments worldwide and made them a laughing stock of academia. I love them.

It is very telling that the OP image has been rendered in the form of a "brand-logo" in confident letters (though stopping just short of Helvetica proper); the mind immediately thinks /Dolce and Gabbana/.

Now imagine Brand logos for... /Foucault/. Deconstruction (Derelicte?), by /Derrida/. /Gender/, by Judith.

Er, they're fashionable, is my point.

tl;dr: d&g made me go crazy

A brief description of my philosophical phases in my life (age 26) follows. In it, I trace the roots of a disease that has disturbedly me greatly in my early adulthood. Among its many (legion) names is dementia praecox or schizophrenia...

Phase I:
>middle child
>Catholic school kid
>wanted to be priest
>liked latin and lotr and the bible and greek myth
>lots of friends
>happy and successful at school

Phase II:
>became atheist
>acted like a neckbeard online
>hung out with nerds
>played lots of vidya
>channer
>bitter khv

Phase III:
>majored in philosophy
>got into post-modernism, post-structuralism, discordianism, subgenius, chaos magic, freezone (scientology), psychedelia and new age
>take acid constantly
>did lots of experiments in a psychological model with drugs and sigils and auto-suggestions and dream incubation to get laid and pass tests and stuff
>had first gf
>first inklings of insanity appear

Phase IV:
>got into psychedelics and eastern thought and shamanism
>practice meditation and yoga
>grow my own shrooms and bud
>took lots of upper-division courses on bullshit
>had second gf
>by now was mostly delusional

Phase V:
>got into Crowley and Spare and Grant and Chumbley in a serious manner
>dropped out of classes
>spent my life in near hermitage except for nightly pilgrimages to a certain dive bar to meet a fellow drop-out and ocassionally get laid
>got laid a lot, lots of girls tried to move in on my hermitage as well but I rejected all
>stayed up for weeks on mephedrone doing insane rituals
>experienced psychotic break
>parents put me in psych ward

Phase VI:
>get out of psych ward
>burn all my insane writings
>become extraordinairely nihilistic
>read anti-humanistic philosophy
>ideated suicidally
>played with meds
>got off meds
>went crazy again
>rinsed, repeated

Phase VII:
>get stable on meds
>become heavily (Neo)Platonic
>read up on Gnosticism and Hermeticism and Kemeticism and Perennialism
>feel as though synthesized all previous phases
>desire to finish school, find a partner and contribute to the world
>feel as though i wasted time and money majoring in philosophy when I am a brainlet unsuited for grad school but am already mostly finished
>still feel like killing myself sometimes desu
>especially when I think about how I'll never fuck collegiate qts again :/
>brain is completely fried, meds make me feel completely handicapped :(
>disability bux barely pay for rent, weed, cigarettes, books, and alcohol :[
>have fuckbuddy but she is too young and stupid to date :{

So yeah don't end up like me... I'm miserable. My life is over. I only have two hundred dollars to last the rest of the month and I'm almost out of bud. Last time I was happy were the halycon summer days of christian youth and innocence...

Anyway,
Reals>feels
Rationalism>empiricism
Platonic realism>nominalism

Don't do continental philosophy, kids!

I hate this place.

Butler performing some version of gender alternate or contrary to her sex assigned at birth is a /subversive bodily act/ and is what she identifies as the cultural best-bet in terms of destabilizing gender norms and ideals as natural and normal. So, you know, she's stuntin', or, doing it right, at least on her terms. Leave her alone?

Continental philosophy is better than any other kind of philosophy, /right now/, because the /analytics/ are the contrarians to the post-structural whatever and they don't have a Hume of their own so to speak. It's just reactionary, right, their shit, reacting fruitlessly to philosophers who reason that philosophy is impossible. Whenever they mention Foucault I can hear them pouting. And I could discuss this at length; in theory, right, and probably not on Veeky Forums.

So, the productive question becomes what can undermine the end-of-philosophy kind of philosophy, without just folding arms to reject it out of hand (got him). Because that's not how philosophy works, right, does that need to be said, insofar as it's not just radically disingenuous. There's tradition to be accounted for -- not even necessarily taken up in good faith, right, but recognized, for sure. Alright, so, contemporary /politics/ seems to be worked out in memes, but all those do is support the Death of the Author-type shit that contemporary thought has been trying or maybe should have been trying to blow past since the culture wars solidified the contrarian ideology as the dominant one in the 90's, at least intellectually. The assumption obviously is that positive politics rather than systematic philosophy is really the only means to overcome the deconstruction of the subject, the subject of philosophy, and so forth. So if you have an ideology that understands its condition as ideology and can't say anything, you have to make an ideology that understands that ideology can be conscious of its ideology, *probably puts gun in mouth at this point, maybe not though, right*, and says things anyways. Based on what?

Probably based on the fact that for all the seeming ethic of post-structuralism, without any kind of theoretical foundation, there isn't any reason or logic or anything for post-structuralism /to be/ ethical, except for /maybe/ that it's self-evidentially all that's possible without being total blind-ideological bullshit; probably then you're going to have to show how the unobscuring thing obscures a lot too. Memes do that kind of, I mean, I can look at some memes and say how they do that, but it's not enough. What's enough>>

>continental philosophy sucks because I'm an acid casualty and ignored literally everything my teachings taught me
>boo hoo now all I have is free weed, books, and a fuckbuddy

wew

This is getting kind of complicated, but to be clear, the only ethos that critical theory can have, right, without contradicting itself (which it says it's going to do anyways-- so, without just failing to address why it's ethical /at all/, what's the point), is to unobscure the untrue nature of untrue things; and probably even something's going to come of that. I think it's probably /ok/ to have an optimism about that, I know Derrida does; although again, it's not really coherent. What does a desubjectivized society look like? Don't know? Then why do you want it, baka. It's like tempting the Gods.

But we can think through how else that's problematic, right? I mean, to take a concrete example would be to -- it's not even Butler though, contemporary liberal discourse doesn't seem to have an analogue in philosophy that I've read, since it's certainly not Foucauldian or Butlerean to tell trans people that their genders are really real and not domains of any kind of collective and individual agency, and are rather just a function of their brain chemistry not having tits for some reason, as far as I can discern -- I mean, how is it /ethical/ to say that my /right/ to call you whatever you want is secondary to your right to be called whatever you want? With the pronouns thing? We can say that, yes, language is important, language makes it so that "girl" means girl in the first place, right, but then, you're acting all entitled to being called a girl? It doesn't make any kind of sense. It's impossible to make sense of that. We can even say that language is patriarchal and violent and not have any basis from which to say that even if it isn't patriarchal and violent for /you/ to tell /me/ what to call you, there isn't any reason not to be patriarchal and violent in the first place. All I have to do is recognize that that's what I'm doing.

So they've deconstructed making sense, cool, but there still isn't a reason I should care. It just devolves into sociopathy, realizing that. Sociopathy isn't a philosophy though. So I guess I don't know what's better than Butler, I Can't Believe It's Not Butler, uh, The Butler Did It.

It definitely makes me /sound/ like a solipsistic cunt, but like, /they're/ the ones /being/ the solipsistic cunts, right.

I think you might be on to something.

Thank you for explaining the joke.

Wow this makes me wish you were dead.

>I mean, how is it /ethical/ to say that my /right/ to call you whatever you want is secondary to your right to be called whatever you want?
Is it ethical to clap if Jeb says 'please'?

Uh, I don't care, was the point.

>boo hoo now all I have is free weed, books, and a fuckbuddy

hahahahahahaha, t h i s.

just do it man. go full blown born again christian like your man Dubya. become the meme you were born to be. brainlets btfo.

nigger

analytical philosophy doesn't give a shit about continental philosophy and your posts illustrate why

Na cmon for sure they give a shit. At best they say that Foucault is ridiculous because Foucault calls theirs ridiculous and isn't wrong. I've seen it, son.

But I mean, Zizek is right that /acting/ ethically is impossible and a joke. It doesn't even matter.

I love it when you start an argument with nigger. Please call someone a cuck next.

>missing the joke
I'm not actually miserable. Idk about born-again Christianity. Agnostic these days about Jesus. Would like to become a meme. Harbor no bitterness towards psychedelics for my situation. Deleuze is aiight. Wish I still knew how to get drunk off water tho.

>Why is continental philosophy so much better than any other kind of philosophy?
Superior French genes

This was a good post, but it doesn't explain the influence of 20th century philosophy -- any high school dropout with an unstable mind and good drug connections and an improper relationship with mysticism could have had the same experience. Did your "upper division courses on bullshit" lead you into Crowley et al? You were already dropping acid before then. Or did your interest in "schizoanalysis" cause you to leap further into craziness rather than retreat back to sanity?
PS the Church needs priests, and society doesn't need any more professors or NEETS. Just sayin'... Maybe a religious brotherhood would be a good choice if your mind's too fried.

>implying continental philosophy is even a real thing
>implying it's not a derogatory term used by analytics to describe anything they don't like
>implying a lot of analytics didn't come from the continent themselves