L1t and t3ch

So, here's a thing for you:

Vaporwave was born in here, in this very virtual world we all love and protect. Well, what is this movement? Vaporwave gave us an insight on musical repetition, the use of technology to create, or better, re-create music from our past, specifically from the 80's, which is the era of the "advent" of technology (this is the repercussion of the ingenius album "Discovery" by Daft Punk, from 2001).

Vektroid, some years ago, threw us the Macintosh Plus' album "Floral Shoppe". The album itself is a representation of our age. People generally alone, in their rooms, reading, watching, listening to millions of things on a daily basis. Infinite amounts of information. We go through this information, then we produce something. Vektroid made more than 20 albuns of sampling in less than 3 years, and we're still feeling the effects of this: vaporwave is everywhere.

We see "Neon" on movies. We see "net art" on advertisement. We hear vaporwave on TV shows (Stranger Things was HUGE), and here we are.

The era of colours.

Aldoux Huxley told us, in his brilliant book "The Doors of Perception", how he thought bright colours and vivid lights were the representations of the "Other Worlds". The Visionary Experience as means to reaching the Mind's Antipodes.

We're experiencing this in our daily life. Everything is colourful. A reminder of the late 70's and 80's, when colours were THE THING. This is a reflex of the past generation (our brtohers and sisters, de 30 year olds) being the consumer generation nowadays.

Studies say that people in their 30s are the people who spend money the most. Hence the increasing "boom" on the 80's references in our recent pop (and alt) culture.

More and more we see this allied with the "Robotic Insurgency" theme. The "Singularity". This is what we're seeing everyday. Past month, the "remake" of Ghost in The Shell was out (hardly a remake, but that's not the case). It brings to the mass populations discussions about "what are robots?" or "Am I a robot?"

"are they here yet?"

Answer is "yes, they are here". In their very modest way yet. Some programmers discuss the existence of "Glitches" as proof of Singularity. Some of them think that because of these Glitches, we should be charging taxes from robots.

All these thing build up to the way we feel: disposable. Jobs are being substitued by robots. We're utterly alone in our homes most of the time. Jobs are even more "mind" than "strentgh", then they were 5 years ago.

[[[[[Art and technology are intertwined]]]]]

Yet, we don't see this references on Literature. Actually, "Main" Literature always keeps the same structure through the ages.

What I'm proposing here, is a discussion about the possible ways in which the Literature can walk along with the Vaporwave movement; the ways in which this is ALREADY happening; or even better, for us to collaborate and try to start a literary movement based on this.

>
>
>
>>I am C4dMüS, and I am not a robot...
>
>>
>

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xJwqp0IByto
youtube.com/watch?v=H0d6tSqyN1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=jhl5afLEKdo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>>
>>
>I AM CADMUS
>I KILLED A DRAGON
>I MADE ROBOTS FROM THE DRAGON'S TEETH
>I CONQUERED THE WORLD
>I WAS BETRAYED BY THE ROBOTS
>I WAS KILLED BY THE ROBOTS

>I AM CADMUS, AND I AM NOT A ROBOT

AND AS THE ROBOTS MARCH

I DO NOT WIELD

From the shadows of an uncanny valley
the breath of the slain dragon came forth

it was sulfur

and it was Silicon

Glowing eyes and robotic arms
metalic blades on their hands
jets on their feet

I will not concede
the robots I will defeat
this
in history
will be my feat
>I AM CADMUS, AND I AM NOT GOING TO BE SUBDUED...

You see,
life is >>>not a dream
>>
>
> I AM CADMUS, AND I AM NOT A DREAMER...

All I know is that I enjoy smoking weed and listening to vaporwave my friend. Also I imagine its a movement that is hard to translate to writing as the visual/aural aspect of vaporwave is so distinctive and 'warped' its hard to achieve the same effect with just words

I don't think I'd want to read the vaporwave equivalent of literature. Tao Lin's gchat shit might qualify.

But there are plenty of compelling writers who discuss the effects of media in our society.

Jean Baudrillard-The Perfect Crime, Simulation and Simulacra
Marshall McLuhan- The Medium is the Massage
Guy Debord- Society of the Spectacle
Chomsky- Manufacturing Consent
Paul Virilio- Negative Horizon

This last text, Negative Horizon, broadens out the discussion. Virilio uses the term Dromology, the science of speed, to describe a critique of civilization from the perspective of technological/social innovations that increase the speed of humans and decrease the effective distance between humans.

That's exactly where I hit the Wall. How to translate the visual impact vaporwave has, using just words.

The idea, then, is to think outside this restriction. To start playing with diagramation also. Like, I thought of something as repetition of words in a binary way, forming diferrent aspects of creation.

I think about vaporwave in a way of representing the "distant" look on people today. The "tone" of Vaporwave Literature would be almost entirely made of Observer Narrators. People looking down on the aspects of society. The "sameness" of us all.

Hermann Hesse, in "Steppenwolf", gives us an insight about the "suicides". People who don't actually kill themselves, but think they know so much about the world, that they stop fearing death. I see the Vaporwave Individual as this man, who lost interest in living just because is always the same thing again and again. It reflects living in big citys with all the colors being thrown at us.

A book trying to go by this style should be able to bring back this feeling of "sameness", while also satirizing the way we feel very confortable by feeling unconfortable about our world (hence sad memes". It's an intricate desire of "finding yourself."

Validate your Individuality, by encountering other suffering loners like you. That always seemed like the whole idea behind Vektroid's work, for example.

>I am Cadmus, and I am not just a tripfag...

I try looking for inspiration in the original japanese animations which gave birth to the visuals of, like, Yung Bae. These anime are all about "finding yourself", "being yourself". Perfect Blue, from Satoshi Kon, for exemple: there's tha famous take (that appeared in the Black Swan) of the girl looking at a mural of her photos. How she's not ready to identify herself as that "piece of art", that "representation" of her own self. This sounds to me like a valid theme on this kind of literature. The constant search for the individual, through other images of the self: beauty standards and all that.

You should watch that webseries on alt beauty, from Gracie Neutral on the I-D Channel. As beauty is one of the million ways which we connect ourselves with one another, it gives a glimpse on how people feel in general.

>Patterns give way to IsolationI am Cadmus, and I am not an otaku...

making me think OP....

As you're just posting the same shit again, here are the replies you got last time:

>Tripfag bait. Fuck off

>just go kill yourself, you pretentious cunt

>Underage. Don't worry you'll grow out of it

time passes

life becomes grey

polished by lies
-
-
-
-
-
----> C: we-re re'collect-ing
d: but not re-programming...

youtube.com/watch?v=xJwqp0IByto

you need something colourful or understandable, not only the coldness language of computers if you want to make it. remember that vaporwave have a tone of pop culture in it.

so what you're saying is that when Homer describes the color of a flower its a representation of the other world

Yeah, that's what I think too. It's a lot about the creation of a "popular trance". Like, a viewback to the early days of the 80's and how pop culture then was just like now, and all the "promisses" and "colorfulness" were just big lies.

I think transfiguring this into a book, for example, goes way deep in changing what a book must look like. I thought of some pages being coloured. Some pages being blank.

The idea of a blank page is continuity. If you take the continuity from that (say, put a blank page in the middle of a chapter, not just at the end of it to separete from the other) you creat a sense of a Broken Promise.

>Breaking the reader's expectations, like in a Satoshi Kon movie.

Not me, Huxley. On "Heaven and Hell", the "sequel" of The Doors of Perception, the author goes on about how the colors are ways to determine reality from dreams, for example. He writes about how dreams are often in black and white, and we just have ideas of colors. The more colorful a thing is, the more REAL it is.

That would be the main theme of a Vaporwave themed book. Like, bring the colors as ways to transfer emotions.

A bright pink page, full of happy content: like, the Main Character is someone at their 30's, getting real good at their hobbies, or their work (they are probably related, like, a photographer). Is all going well. They even have a love interest that really is someone nice.

When we turn back to the white paged, there's the ugly truth about things. MC is just doing something ordinary, no greatness. The love interest is actually an escape valve for emotions, not a real "LOVE".

>Lies would be the real interest here: we've been lied about the future our hole life.

>>>Being Aware of the lies, would be the psychological quest of the Main Character

>I AM CADMUS, AND THISIS NOT ABOUT A MEME

there are good ideas but you need a great charachter to break it. a charachter relatable in some way. (you want something realistic or dont go too far?, a hikki?)
anyway, i dont think the early 80´s have a real resemble to now. we know now all the promises and colourfulness are lies.

Not all. The lies keep changing, but at their core, they are the same.

They way I imagined this, the Character is to be very relatable. He has that classic "look" of the 21st century: sometimes he's focused, sometimes he just looks at the sky, looking for... nothing.

I say he, but the MC could probably work better by being a woman. A young woman, fighting to keep her good looks, the appearences of success. She has a nice job, probably very stable, she likes what she does, but she could be something more like her real interest. She is not rich, but not poor. She's not happy, but also not sad. She' not a loner, but always feels alone.

These are the lies: is about the "stereotypes". The plans society made for us, without we even realizing.

By itself, is a fucking boring story. Standar as fuck. But the idea is going beyond the story. Not just words, actions.

yeah coloured pages are not gonna work...you know whats vaporwave-y? that poem by Lorca

Green, how I want you green.
Green wind. Green branches.
The ship out on the sea
and the horse on the mountain.
With the shade around her waist
she dreams on her balcony,
green flesh, her hair green,
with eyes of cold silver.
Green, how I want you green.
Under the gypsy moon,
all things are watching her
and she cannot see them.

I always think of avantgarde poetry that looks like ancient Greek fragments (pic related, Cummings and Sappho) I don't know what there's something to it like, an average person would be bored to death reading ancient poetry but I always think shit, there was a moment in time when this was new and modern, experimental even like Ovid
I'm guessing vaporwave literature would have to be something that, when you read it, makes you feel like you're online, surfing the vaporwaves of the deep webz see what I did there
like you would have to interest and average person into reading it instead of being online
I think literature still hasn't figured out this new medium, I mean you can write a whole book and post it online and no one will notice
and then there are e-readers and audio-books
to be honest this kind of stresses me out

That really stresses me out too.

I feel like writers got left behind by technology. The visual became a "religion" of sorts, and is used to get bigger and bigger audiences. I'm afraid of that, actually.

The new medium, exactly, is something very hard for us writers to master. On the Youtbe Era, reading is kind of boring shit. And the books we still read, and still come out every week, don't go far enough to change this reality.

About Lorca, I didn'n know this poem, but I think Lorca is a great example of how you use repetition to cause an emotion (pretty much like synthwave). Have you ever read "Sleepless City"? Great poem. In Richard Linklater's "Waking Life" (great movie, by the way, everyone should watch it), another poet goes on about this particular poem.

"Life is not a dream!"

This phrase hits me. Sometimes, I feel like I'm dreaming. I think everybody have that, on day or another. Is just a feeling. But, I find vaporwave something that always takes me back to this feeling.

When I hear MaCintosh Plus 420, I always get the odd feeling: is this really happening?

Time becomes obsolent.

Literature does that on itself. But just on people who are used to reading. How to make "lost" people, people who just consume Audio/Video, care for what is written.

(Your greek example is very nice, too, i found it to be quite the kind of thing i was looking for, very experimental)

how "Life is not a dream!" hit yoy?. when you use it to express "life is a dream" in her classic sense. i dont understand this well. life is not a dream is something materialistic to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=H0d6tSqyN1Y

Also, I remember watching these as a kid for hours on, the colours and the randomness of it just kept me in place. There is no way in hell to get a child to read after watching something like this. And now I'm thinking it's a conspiracy to sell ADHD medication. Fuck.

It's too abstract, you can't really build anything comprehensive with the concept of Vaporwave.

That book Veeky Forums wrote a few years ago is probably the closest thing you'll get. Complete incoherent non-sense with a few glimpses of beauty here and there. I think poetry is the best form for it.

Sorry, i should have given some context. In the poem, "Life is not a dream! Careful! Careful! Careful!", is said in a repressive way. Like "Don't dream", or "you cannot dream". I will puto the poem here, soon.

How do we keep one's interest after this is the real question. The real objective.

Yes, i thought that too. Poetry is the way.

Sleepless City (Brooklyn Bridge Nocturne)
Federico Garcia Lorca

Out in the sky, no one sleeps. No one, no one.
No one sleeps.
Lunar creatures sniff and circle the dwellings.
Live iguanas will come to bite the men who don’t dream,
and the brokenhearted fugitive will meet on street corners
an incredible crocodile resting beneath the tender protest of the
stars.
Out in the world, no one sleeps. No one, no one.
No one sleeps.
There is a corpse in the farthest graveyard
complaining for three years
because of an arid landscape in his knee;
and a boy who was buried this morning cried so much
they had to call the dogs to quiet him.
Life is no dream. Watch out! Watch out! Watch out!
We fall down stairs and eat the moist earth,
or we climb to the snow’s edge with the choir of dead dahlias.
But there is no oblivion, no dream:
raw flesh. Kisses tie mouths
in a tangle of new veins
and those who are hurt will hurt without rest
and those who are frightened by death will carry it on their
shoulders.
One day
horses will live in the taverns
and furious ants
will attack the yellow skies that take refuge in the eyes of cattle.

Another day
we’ll witness the resurrection of dead butterflies,
and still walking in a landscape of gray sponges and silent ships,
we’ll see our ring shine and rose spill from our tongues.
Watch out! Watch out! Watch out!
Those still marked by claws and cloudburst,
that boy who cries because he doesn’t know about the invention
of bridges,
or that corpse that has nothing more than its head and one
shoe—
they all must be led to the wall where iguanas and serpents wait,
where the bear’s teeth wait,
where the mummified hand of a child waits
and the camel’s fur bristles with a violent blue chill.
Out in the sky, no one sleeps. No one, no one.
No one sleeps.
But if someone closes his eyes,
whip him, my children, whip him!
Let there be a panorama of open eyes
and bitter inflamed wounds.
Out in the world, no one sleeps. No one. No one.
I’ve said it before.
No one sleeps.
But at night, if someone has too much moss on his temples,
open the trap doors so he can see in moonlight
the fake goblets, the venom, and the skull of the theaters.

> The more colorful a thing is, the more REAL it is

anime is real

youtube.com/watch?v=jhl5afLEKdo

this shows it best. an audience worshiping and screaming at a cartoon hologram. desu I kinda wanna keep literature out of this, although I'm not sure it's possible