Can i trust MSG? there was a scare about it when i was younger but is it still a bad thing?

can i trust MSG? there was a scare about it when i was younger but is it still a bad thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uG0_JnUG5jE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it’s fucking salt

it's fucking poison

It's salt that some people are allergic to.
It's the gluten-meme of the 80s

Nobody is allergic to it. There isn't a single confirmed case.

Excuse me, "MSG sensitivity"

There are people who have "reactions" to eating things with MSG in them. Or at least that they think have MSG in them. As another user mentioned it is the Gluten sensitivity of the 80/90's which is very accurate since people complained about how they felt after eating MSG rich chinese food. Yet they still felt those effects even when the chinese food didnt have added MSG and failed to feel those effects when eating naturally MSG rich foods like Tomatoes, Cheeses, Mushrooms, Meat broths, and soy sauce.

I miss it. Used to be in my favorite noodles. They removed it and now they taste like shit and will forever taste like shit

I would put that shit in everything but I get just about every listed side effect from it.

Not a single well controlled scientific study has ever found anyone with negative effect from MSG.
youtube.com/watch?v=uG0_JnUG5jE

Makes me drink 5 gallons of water

It's just what you get if you ferment corn like you would soy and wheat to make soy sauce, and then dry it out and sell the powder.

If you've ever had Doritos without getting the dry heaves, you'll be fine, those are coated with the stuff.

just buy msg and add manually

you would be the first

Hijacking thread to ask: what should I add this to? I've tried various dishes but it never seems to make a difference that I can detect versus plain salt.

it's fucking poison salt

Asian foods, for the authentic restaurant taste

OP here, just tasted a really small pinch (I bought Accent brand MSG no Ajinomoto) and it tastes like the essence of chinese food.

so if i can eat a bunch of chinese take out without feeling like shite then i should be fine right?

I have tried that. Apparently that's not the only thing removed from the recipe. If I want a good bowl of ramen anymore, I have to import it directly from Korea

"Sodium" in the name aside, it doesn't latch to the same receptors as NaCl does and shouldn't taste salty.

I get the most mileage out of mine a pinch at a time in soups or stews and to pump back up the "meaty" feel of ground meats, especially things like relatively fatty beef/pork mixes.
It can also be used as a healthier option on veggies and starches to give a similar profile to if they were fried in tallow/lard rather than vegetable oil, or steamed in broth rather than water.

Because of how American cuisine in particular is conceptualized and organized, and how quickly animal fats fell out of the standard American diet, it's the kind of thing that's very much noticed by its absence in select foods more than its presence though. So in part it just gets added to the "always add a pinch of salt - one pinch in the pot tastes identical to two, but zero tastes like hot garbage" ritual.

>so if i can eat a bunch of chinese take out without feeling like shite then i should be fine right?
yeah

If you can eat tomatoes, you'll be fine.

>go to Chinese buffet
>eat eight grams of salt worth of various deep fried meats with sugar sauce, kung pao chicken, fried rice, lo mein and beef vegetable with soy sauce drizzled across everything
>uh oh I have a headache I don't feel good
>it must be that spooky sounding MSG chemical

They've planted the seed well enough that I don't add it to any food in plain form, only if it's in an ingredient. Although I also avoid it because it feels like a "cheating" ingredient: stuff they use in processed food because they can't make it taste good any other way. Honestly though, I never had any of those named effects from it. I think it's like salt, it's perfectly fine as long as you don't overdo it.