/pottery/

How/Where to get into poetry?

preferably some English stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cqieCdlhX9A
calculatorsoup.com/calculators/geometry-solids/sphere.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just read accessible stuff.

Nothing after 1930 unless it's Robert Frost.

Start with Garrison Keillor anthologies.

This guy? Phrenology tells me he's a fucking weirdo faggit.

For English start with the Romantics and work your way out from there.

Just read Spenser's sonnets, if you can't handle them then give up.

Alright!

Richard corey
Follow his example

Start with the basics. I would read : Harry Potter and the sorceres stone

>Lawrence Felinghetti
>Charles Bukowski
If you're into more modern/accessible

wordsworth was my first love affair with poetry because he cut through all the modernist abstract nonsense that i was accustomed to. "the solitary reaper" is still one of my favorite short poems.

keats was my second (coleridge was more of a fling). if i were you, i'd read:
>the solitary reaper (out loud)
>rime of the ancient mariner
>ode to a nightingale

all are profound and accessible poems. after those romantics, i got into Donne, Ashberry, William Stafford and Spenser. you'll be able to figure it out after that. caveat lector: YMMV

Start with rupi kuar

Start with imagism and go from there.

What's some good Wordsworth beyond Lyrical Ballads? I read that and was kinda disappointed (the Lucy poems were good though).

youtube.com/watch?v=cqieCdlhX9A

LoL @ this, little snarky phaggott, measure your fucking head with a tape measure and tell me so I can get your brain volume

Mine is 25 inches and according to this calculator calculatorsoup.com/calculators/geometry-solids/sphere.php that means I have a 263inch volume of brain size.

I'm asking you to measure around your head with a tape measure and tell me the length so I can calculate it.

If your not up to do that then I think that says everything we need to know.

Start with Shakespeare. Then move on to the Romantics, Chaucer, Whitman, and Yeats. Milton and Donne are great poets but aren't very accessible. As notes, modernist poetry tends to be pretentious drivel (although imo Williams Carlos Williams, Marianne Moore, and Wallace Stevens are successful modern poets).

Be in me as the eternal moods
of the bleak wind, and not
As transient things are—
gaiety of flowers.
Have me in the strong loneliness
of sunless cliffs
And of gray waters.
Let the gods speak softly of us
In days hereafter,
the shadowy flowers of Orcus
Remember thee.

>this is what passed for "clear statement" in 1917
lmao

Yeah, I'm about to get Shakespeare's Sonnets since I love his plays.

bump

This was on the wiki but I have no idea how good it is and frankly, Tupac being on it makes me think it's kind of retarded.

Armond White likes two Pac and he's GOAT

You must not be very smart if you seriously believe brain volume has a strong correlation with intelligence since it's been disproved time and again for like 150 years. Go back to the 1840s, dipshit.

The Prelude (1799 version)

Start with Hopkins, then move either to the Romantics or Modernists depending on your taste

funny cause the 1840s (and before) was when a lot of these guys were writing great poetry you tool. ?O? Coward didn't even give me your head size