Prose and poetry are finished as art forms

>tfw wasted all my free time reading for years
>tfw I gained nothing but surface level pseudointellectual tier knowledge before realising that practice, experience constitute infinitely many more possible modes of experience and skills acquisition, none of which can be adequately replaced by reading
>example: Reading 10 books about physics instead of doing physics assignments / research projects
>realise that reading is pushed by the privileged, well connected strata of society as a form of social signalling
>see the cool shit that people do related to programming and become regretful

I don't even mean people getting rich. I get insanely jealous of people who do stuff like the face morphing meme app or 2D vidya. There are optimal times to get in to activities.

I think the life and death of art forms is ignored on Veeky Forums. It is absolutely significant that literature today is mainly a way to give easy degrees / professorships to upper middle class women who are too lazy or risk averse to do other things.

I also have been shocked by how faggoty writers are in general. Writers these days aren't people who writer, they're "Writers" who write for other "Writers".

>inb4 you try to conflate reading prose with reading a mathematical research paper

You will attempt that.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/S3388301
warosu.org/lit/thread/S3272727
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Now kill yourself. Your shtick on here is getting a bit tedious. Same shit every single day

Maybe if you understood anything you've read, you'd know what to do know instead of crying like a bitch

>There are no such things as principles; there are only events, and there are no laws but those of expediency: a man of talent accepts events and the circumstances in which he finds himself, and turns everything to his own ends.

Father Goriot (Balzac)

I agree with the quote but if you lurked more you'd see that Veeky Forums derides any sort of subjectivism. If an academic doesn't advocate something it isn't true!

>Veeky Forums derides any sort of subjectivism
Not always: warosu.org/lit/thread/S3388301

end it pal

I linked the wrong thread lol; meant to link to this one warosu.org/lit/thread/S3272727

>OP actually fell for the reading meme
>he thinks anyone on Veeky Forums reads

Modern poetry is nothing but liberal demagogues and minorities trying to get pats on the back for being virtuous.
Every once in a blue moon i get some romantic idea of being a poet, like the old ones.
But i see poetry as just a hobby, you probably couldn't make money off of it, even if you werent a libtard.
I guess its just a fun hobby to do in your spare time now.
I mean, what do you mean by art anyways?
People arent buying the poetry product anymore as a form of entertainment?

Art is from the inner self, and emotional reflection of humanity or society, its spiritual when you really get down to it.

I really like that quote from DFW about how a lot more people in this country write poetry than read it.

>Modern poetry is nothing but liberal demagogues and minorities trying to get pats on the back for being virtuous.

pretty much

>#1 on the New York Times bestseller list
kek

i mean the conception we have of modern art, the one created by capitalism, its only like a few centuries old, before that people made art out of faith, out of a human need for fulfillment, for fun. When did art become a product? When kings and queens started to commission portraits.
And art today is nothing but a money laundering scheme for the rich.
I mean, even it changed, art was originally about making a creation of beauty, then it became some dipshit "like art is subjective mannnnnn" shit, and now you got people taking a shit in can and calling it art.

I enjoy your threads, OP

>And art today is nothing but a money laundering scheme for the rich.
That's just mainstream art.

> then it became some dipshit "like art is subjective mannnnnn" shit, and now you got people taking a shit in can and calling it art.

That was revolutionary for art. Without that, we'd still have mimesis as a main art device and no abstract expressionism, no Picasso, maybe not even impressionism or Joseph Turner

so i think you are more worried people arent buying the poetry product, people arent seeing it as a form of entertainment.
its still art if you want it.
art is something that lasts through time, isnt dispoasble. Something someone reads 1000 years from now and still feels something

>art is something that lasts through time, isnt dispoasble. Something someone reads 1000 years from now and still feels something
That's a very arbitrary definition

good art is transformative, good art is made for reasons other than the material, good art challenges the status quo, even the liberal one, good art doesnt please the elite.

A good modern poet, if it existed, would eviscerate the yuppies who see reading as a status signal, eviscerate the liberal demagogues that proliferate in modern poetry, in art in general .
It would be a reflection of our decaying society and its post modern hyper reality.
It would be vulnerable, and human, and antagonistic.

well you know, people still go to the van gogh exhibit, and they rarely listen to the backstreet boys anymore

You're naive to extrapolate from that to an overarching definition. Art may depend on a cultural context, and just because in 1000 years the context may not be relevant anymore thus making the aforementioned piece of art ephemeral should not preclude it from being art. Sorry for the cumbersome sentence I stopped caring about the argument halfway through

Im not in the mood to argue what art actually is with some faggot who thinks everything is subjective and human beings arent dumb animals who hand over their cash for a heroes journey full of archetypes, and arent socially engineered and trained to only go when the light is green and stop when the light is red.

lmao at your teenage angst

Human beings are dumb animals that are trained to buy things. they are markets.
You could easily, and cynically pander to the young liberal market to drain them of their wealth.
What do they like, liberalism, identity politics, over emotional garbage.
Human beings go toward familiarity. If i make a drawing of a spongebob smoking a blunt im going to get a lot more like than the non representational abstract art i made with a fire extinguisher.
Artists spend their whole live pondering what art is, it takes you to weird places.
To the general public art is super realistic landscape and portrait paintings that take a lot of time and talent to make. The boring shit.

To an artist, its about the process and concept, the performance.
Oh that pile of trash in the corner is about globalism buhhhhhh

Reading is a waste of time

People here engage in more meaningful and fulfilling activities, such as shitposting on a bonsai gardening help forum

uncensored social rituals among outcasts are more intricate and meaningful than your shitty tryhard mandatory reading list

i read

loser:)

take that back

k sorry:(