I'm going to live and work in america for a year or so

I'm going to live and work in america for a year or so
give it to me straight, how bad is the bread situation there? everyone is telling me you can only get white "bread" and it tastes sweet as fuck
are there any places where I can get real bread?
I also was told most of the coffee would taste like piss

Yes, we literally only make and eat white bread with loads of sugar in it. Whole wheat flour is actually banned and the only bread that can be sold is mass produced, sliced loaves. Plus we only serve one type of coffee and you can't find any other anywhere.

Start saving money for a motorized cart.

The bread situation is pretty fucked up.
Same as the cheese.

most supermarkets have their own bakeries, you'll survive

The bread situation is bad here. If bread is a staple of your diet you'll be fucked if you don't live in a major city or bake yourself. What's available is supermarkets (even those with in house bakeries) is total trash, and the few dedicated bakeries you can find are very hit or miss.

We have local bakeries here. Same thing for coffee. If you're so much of a faggot that even that doesn't satisfy you, you can easily bake and brew your own shit

Subway baked their bread fresh daily.

thanks user, guesse I'll bake my own bread then

also got temproraily blocked for making this thread?

America's big, where are we talking?

Wisconsin

Yeah supermarket bakeries where they import frozen dough from god knows where

13% sugar .

You are very good at spotting sarcasm.

If it's a hipster city like Madison you're sure to find some good sourdough at bakeries.

If you're going to a bumfuck village of less than 500k people you'll have to make your own bread. Otherwise there will probably be a bakery.

That's tough. There is good beer there. Also (regardless of the hype) some good cheese. (Seek out Holland Family Cheese from Thorp, WI - worth going out of your way for). And in season there are good farmers' markets (look for Amish and Hmong families - they usually have the good stuff). Bread will be a challenge, though. So will be pizza - probably best to just avoid pizza entirely.

Just head to an actual bakery instead of grocery stores.

Hey shout out to Holland family (my family name)

Madison is less than 500k and there are like 5 "artisan bakeries", he'll be fine.

Madison also fucking loves good coffee, good beer, good meat, ethnic food, and there's a dedicated cheese store downtown. Also there's farmers markets all year round on Saturdays.

What brings you here user? Also unless you're in Milwaukee or Madison (maybe Appleton, Green Bay, Kenosha, Racine) it's going to be hard to find quality handmade bread.

They're really good. Not much else to see in Thorp though.

Most American grocery stores have two sections for bread: the prepackaged bread aisle, full of sugary white bread and shit, and the bakery which is usually alright but not great. In the Midwest we have Kroger, I think their quality is better than other grocery stores in the area. You'll have Kroger in Wisconsin, but try different locations. The ones in richer neighborhoods carry a better assortment and better quality goods.

You should also be able to find a good regular bakery, but I don't know how common it will be for them to do bread. The only bakeries I can think of near me (Indianapolis) only sell donuts and sweets.

Nah not really. Overall I think the best part of Wisconsin is driving to the twin cities Minnesota :^)

also by law our white bread must contain 40% high fructose corn syrup by volume

I'm not gonna shit on WI, but eating well there is a challenge. It's a place where limes are still considered kind of exotic, but tater tots are perfectly normal, which says a lot about the food culture there. But I have found a few highlights. The whitefish (either smoked or fresh) from Lake Superior is fucking fantastic. I remember the farmer's market in Wausau being pretty fucking good. Managed to find decent Mexican in a grocery-restaurant combo place in Eau Claire. And if you go to an Oktoberfest there will be decent sausages. But beyond that food is much more of the state's weak point than a strength.

This is easily the worst thread on Veeky Forums so it's not surprising
Even worse than sipniggers

>This is easily the worst thread on Veeky Forums
I guess the truth hurts. But the truth is that bakers aren't valued in the US they way they are in many other countries. We just get industrially made crap at the supermarket because it's cheap and convenient, and we really just don't care all that much. When someone comes here from a place where the quality of bread is more of a priority, such as France, Italy, Germany, Holland or even Poland they have a hard time of it, because the quality of bread they're used to is very hard to find. You're not going to find it at the supermarket.

Well, to be honest, they're fading here in Germany too. You do find bakeries basically everywhere, but fewer and fewer actually make their own stuff rather than just baking prefabricate from some large-scale suplier. Feels bad man.

>being snobbish about a peasant staple
y i k e s

I've heard that, and I think it's a real shame. Been seven years since I was in Germany, but used to go pretty regularly. The food was always better than I expected, because for some reason I never thought all that much about German food. But the quality of the bread was always one of the big standouts. I still have fond memories of hotel breakfasts there, where it was pretty much that bread with cheese, liverwurst, cold cuts and maybe some pickled fish if I was in the north.

I'm sorry you never had good bread.

Yeah, the bread sure is good, and I really missed it when I lived in Norway. I was replying more about the "appreciating bakers" part than the product quality. Although house-made bread tends to be a bit better than the pre-fab stuff. I assume you had the pleasure that is Leberkäse?

you can get whatever the fuck you want in America

I heard Germany was a good place for bread, is that not the case anymore?

>being snobbish
Different places have different standards. What passes for normal in some places would be considered trash in others. That's not snobbery, just different sets of priorities between different cultures.

>America's big
Yes, they are.

>I assume you had the pleasure that is Leberkäse?
Oh yes. I'm lucky enough that I can get that at the German restaurants near me. Benefit of living in NYC. Just about every kind of cuisine can be found here, and the places that cater to expats have to keep their standards up if they want to stay in business.

>Getting a healthy debate
>In americum
kek

In a major city, sure. I can get whatever the fuck I want here in New York. But I've been through Central Wisconsin several times because I have in-laws there. You cannot get anything you want there. Anything that doesn't fit the regional idea of "normal food" is a tough ask.

I have a Danish buddy who pops by here who doesn't eat sugar. Various trips and a blasting through multiple states later, the only place he liked the bread was some hippie vegan mom and pop place near a city.

It was good bread but really you can just make your own. We didn't because we just wanted to dick around on road trips up and down the east coast. We also didn't look very hard, honestly. Just pulled over at what we found rather than googling it.

I've never seen sourdough with any real amount of sugar in it. Do they just not do sourdough?

there's no use. By law everyone in America has to eat one loaf of sugar bread every day

Its pretty damn good with cheese.

>the only place he liked the bread was some hippie vegan mom and pop place
Hardly a surprise. If the breads you're used to are whole wheat sourdough with maybe a little rye in it made by hand where are you going to find that in America? It's going to be some place wealthy enough to support some hippie's dream bakery. Because the amount of time and man hours it takes to produce bread like that is going to make the price two or three times as much as industrially produced bread.

lmao. autism the post. literally cant even detect the most obvious of sarcasm

Fuck off, if you're too scared to buy anything but singles that's your problem

He's right though. The standards for both bread and cheese are set by inexpensive industrially mass produced products. The advantage of that is pretty much everyone can afford bread and cheese, even though most of it isn't very good. The big disadvantage is that the good stuff is only going to get produced in limited quantities by artisan producers, making it crazy scarce and expensive.

Everybody you talk to is retarded. Even in flyover land there's local bakeries that make all sorts of different loaves.
Please stay away, we don't want you. Unless you're from a white country.

This being Veeky Forums I'm shocked there aren't more people advocating making your own bread

He's visiting, no need to buy an extra bread machine.

>bread machine

Absolutely disgusting

I grew up going to church in a very heavy Russian and polish community. The bread was boss but unfortunately everyone on that side got old and died and my dumbass didn't think to get any recipes before that. Not sure what kind of bread they actually were either so I'm heading up north to the closest polish bakery I could find this week. Also for kielbasa because the few times I have been able to find it here is complete trash.

When I lived in the tri-state area we at least had Amish delis and bakeries. All I really want is bread with no sugar, that isn't moist or hard as a brick.

My wife is running an artisan micro bakery. She's so hardcore about it that she mills her own flour and each batch of whole wheat and rye sourdough is a two day process. Her bread is as good as the best I've had in Europe. Many of her customers are Euro expats who pay up to $9 a loaf for it (she sells it wholesale for $6.50). Even at that price she's just making a little better than minimum wage as a baker. Therefore she's not quitting her day job.

Basically making really good bread is a lot of effort. More than even most bakeries are going to bother with. You have to find a really good one if you want bread that isn't just marginally better than supermarket crap. And if you want bread that good at home you'd better want it to be your hobby, because it involves a lot of trial and error and a lot of time. Baking bread is easy, but baking really good bread is not a casual thing.

>the closest polish bakery
Polish are expert bakers. If I didn't have a wife who baked I'd make the trip to the polish bakeries near me as well.

Any city will have a few good bakers. You can find them by looking on yelp or asking good restaurant owners.

It's gonna be tougher in the suburbs. In my experience, a given suburb will have maybe one or two bakeries doing decent crusty loaves if you're lucky.

It only takes 15 minutes of work to make any kind of bread.

put all ingredients in a bowl. knead like hell for 15 minutes. shape and let rise in bread pan in a plastic bag covered box, then bake, covered in tinfoil... slice bag and freeze bread when it cools down.

>It only takes 15 minutes of work to make any kind of bread.
Ha ha. Two words: Chad Robertson.