Lately, I haven't seen a Veeky Forums appreciation thread about this fine gentleman, Grigori Perelman, so let's have one

Lately, I haven't seen a Veeky Forums appreciation thread about this fine gentleman, Grigori Perelman, so let's have one

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ng1W2KUHI2s
youtube.com/watch?v=b3PoVrWi6mE
youtube.com/watch?v=rCHRA0QpAcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UmcB2u0YOVg
science20.com/florilegium/blog/you_are_disturbing_me_i_am_picking_mushrooms_says_mathematics_genius
newser.com/off-the-grid/post/428/you-are-disturbing-me-i-am-picking-mushrooms.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-sphere#Topological_properties
newyorker.com/magazine/2006/08/28/manifold-destiny
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's a smart cookie, and also humble. He's autistic as fuck but don't really want to show off his autism, unlike celebrities today.

I like him.

I appreciate Grigori Perelman. I accept him as my Lord and Savior.

I would only appreciate him if he wasn't hollowed up working as a garbageman in russia. So much potential wasted and he still kind of young.

Last reports he was working at a nanotech company. Google for more info.

>have the best education from the finest mathematicians of the country
>go usa with the support of your country
>don't pass your knowledge to new pupil, live a solitary life
>"""""""""""fine""""""""""" gentleman

This so much. If you have that much talent, you have a responsibility to humanity. Smh people can blame people who are rich of money for not being responsible to humanity, but still think people who are rich with talent dont have the same responsibility. Faggots.

Agree, Misha Gramov told exactly that in the documentary, here's the documentary btw

youtube.com/watch?v=Ng1W2KUHI2s

>Gramov
It's Gromov, my bad

Proving the Poincaré conjecture wasn’t enough? He has a duty to dedicate his entire life to mathematics, but people who never even try to advance academia and instead spend their entire lives making money have no duties to anyone but themselves? Fuck that

>gibs
no

So Perelman is kind of like Grothendieck

both said "fuck the math community" and went into isolation?

apparently so, but unlike Grothendieck who went into isolation in the Pyrenees (assuming you have to have a lot of money to live there), Perelman took it step forward - rejecting the 1 million and went to live in isolation with his mother in St. Petersburg. There are few videos of him shopping and walking with his mother in the neighborhood.

The latest video from him is where a filmmaker was chatting about an hour with him before Perelman said that he was late for his visit to his mother in the hospital (apparently she had some kind of a stroke, since she was in the neurology department)

many people thought he went crazy because they though he was just running without reason

here's the video of him running to the hospital
youtube.com/watch?v=b3PoVrWi6mE

here's a news video of him in the hospital and as you can see near the end of the video he gets mad at the person who's filming him
youtube.com/watch?v=rCHRA0QpAcQ

also here's a video in English that describes for normies what Perelman proved

youtube.com/watch?v=UmcB2u0YOVg

fucking didnt accept millenium prize (bigger than fields meme medal)

fucking didnt accept the 1 million $ that would of took his family out of poverty

moved back to his village to continue solving mill problems

our guy 5 sure

>moved back to his village to continue solving mill problems

He stopped doing math. Even if he didn't none of the remaining problems are in geometry.

If you think about it, about how Perelman is not that into money (+ seeing him shop for basic items like milk, eggs, bread, orange juice whatever) I would not say that he lives in poverty but instead has a steady basic minimal income that requires him to live with his mom. His dad and sister live in Israel, maybe they're sending him money, maybe he gets money from the St. Petersburg institute there, who knows, but surely this man is not missing any food and clothes (seeing him in videos shopping during the winter).

>Proving the Poincaré conjecture wasn’t enough?
Not the other guy, but I think the point is that part of a mathematician's job is to train the next generation by passing on your skills, techniques, and knowledge, in the case of Perelman as points out, many mathematicians worked hard to pass on their knowledge to Perelman (Perelman himself acknowledges this). The argument then goes that it is selfish of Perelman to just up and leave the community so suddenly and not give back to the community in the same way that the community gave to him (teaching). It's like if you raised your kid for 18 years and then they just fucked off forever and never spoke to you again, sure, they have their own lives, but to completely cut yourself off is kind of a dick move, and in this case, harmful to future generations. This is also something people heavily criticize grothendieck for, a metric fuckload of people helped get the two of them where they are today and they refused to do the same for the next generation, it really isn't about achievement, but community.

He doesn't owe shit to anyone.

If someone quit math and decided to be a developer or astronaut, no one would care. It's only because of all the fame and bullshit that came with proving Poincare that it even comes up. Which is exactly why he quit in the first place.

science20.com/florilegium/blog/you_are_disturbing_me_i_am_picking_mushrooms_says_mathematics_genius

newser.com/off-the-grid/post/428/you-are-disturbing-me-i-am-picking-mushrooms.html

>all the fame and bullshit that came with proving Poincare
That was actually the media, not the mathematical community, in fact even the shit that happened with Yau wasn't that big of a deal, at least to Perelman, things were just blown wildly out of proportion. And if you really think no one cares if an average mathematician quits, then you've never actually spoken to a mathematician who's been affected by this. Usually the person's advisor and close collaborators will be pretty disappointed by the whole thing, sure they understand that people live their own lives, but they spent their lives teaching and helping this person out for all that effort to leave the community. With Perelman the Russian school spent a lot of time and energy to mold very good students, and so did the mathematicians who taught Perelman, they taught him with the expectation that as a community gives to you, you give back. Again, I already said people have their own lives to live, it's just considered a dick move. Hell Perelman probably agrees with what I am saying, he in fact taught Russian math circles (which is not required and completely voluntary) so he clearly saw value in educating the next generation.

Somebody should arrange a meeting between Terrence Tao and Grigori Perelman tbqh, if we're too stupid for Grigori Perelman, maybe Tao will be our guy that will tell what Perelman said to him since he's infinitely more open to the public than Grigori. Tao has previously said that his weakest link in mathematics was topology and that he used to translate Perelman's equations into formulas and functions he understood because of his limited knowledge in the field.

Seems like a good idea that these two should have a chat, don't you think?

what did they mean by this?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-sphere#Topological_properties
A 3-sphere is a compact, connected, 3-dimensional manifold without boundary. It is also simply connected. What this means, in the broad sense, is that any loop, or circular path, on the 3-sphere can be continuously shrunk to a point without leaving the 3-sphere. The Poincaré conjecture, proved in 2003 by Grigori Perelman, provides that the 3-sphere is the only three-dimensional manifold (up to homeomorphism) with these properties.

tl;dr?

he wouldn't have to deal with people pestering him if he was just known as "the guy who proved the Poincare conjecture" instead of the "guy who rejected the Fields and a million bucks"
should've had the foresight if he's so smart

You may dislike Perelman, but he's a really interesting figure
newyorker.com/magazine/2006/08/28/manifold-destiny

People just need to leave him the fuck alone. I'd have caved that cheeky fuckers head in against the pavement for following me in some of my Aspie rages.

Seconded, so who here has Tao's or Perelman's personal email or phone number? Because I certainly don't.

Social intelligence isn't the same as mathematical intelligence. Mathematics is systemic, whereas socialization is pseudorandom.

Indeed, ressearch mathematicians tend to take the community thing pretty seriously.
I know people who call their advisors dad, it's kinda weird

It isn't, to me both my professor and martial arts sensei are my fathers.

Some people might say it's weird, but you really do end up spending a lot of time with your advisor and colleagues and actually get to know them very well, grad school is crushing and oddly enough they become a source of emotional support, cause they get it, and they're doing their best to help you. I remember my advisor saying he considered each of his students his 'children' since he's tasked with raising them for many years and cares for their well being and success greatly, because of that he has a lot of students in high ranking universities who to this day still contact and respect him, even when they have far surpassed his research abilities, they are genuinely grateful for everything he did because he trained them with genuine care.

He's great desu

what is he doing Veeky Forums?

solving another millennium problem? growing his mushrooms? do we know for sure he quit mathematics?

>muh cult of personalities
Only children need heroes and role models, grow up.

>do we know for sure he quit mathematics?
It's a pretense, he's hiding from the world the fact that he's tackling the greatest problem facing mathematics, science and humanity in general — the category of Barnett cohomologies.

What's the difference between

[math]\frac{e^{i\pi}}{11.999...}[/math] and [math]\frac{e^{i\pi}}{12}[/math]?

Something's fishy here...

>Muh humanity

Die in a fire, plebbit.

I'm 99% sure he is schizoid