The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time the sun came up...

The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time the sun came up, the author wrote instead that "young dawn shone with her rose=red fingers."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Homer's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing.

Other urls found in this thread:

lexido.com/EBOOK_TEXTS/THE_WANDERER_AND_HIS_SHADOW_.aspx?S=122
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

homer is 3/4 convention
t. nietzsche

daring synthesis but I mus give it 5/10 the smile is already gone from my visage and I beat on, hands on the keyboard, searching ceaselessly for dank memes

>not reading the Fitzgerald translation

Why does the Fagles translation of The Iliad say "would to God" instead of "word to God"?

You should stop reading one of the dullest legendary cycles in history. Seriously each chapter following the hero, king and their pals from Greece as they fight assorted battles has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the brash language, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of divine intervention, all to make gods ungodlike, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Homer wrote down what was meant to be an oral tradition; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable promotion for his writing. The Homeric series might be anti-Trojan (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Epic Of Gilgamesh in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the Greek is good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time the sun came up, the author wrote instead that "young dawn shone with her rose-red fingers."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Homer's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of the Iliad by the same Aristophanes. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading the Iliad at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to see the plays of Aristophanes." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Iliad" you are, in fact, trained to watch Aristophanes.

Gilgamesh is by far the dullest thing one could possibly ever read though.

Embarrassing thread desu. Kids just don't know their memes anymore.

>Later I read a lavish, loving review of the Iliad by the same Aristophanes. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading the Iliad at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to see the plays of Aristophanes."
My sides have left me

Homeric epics reply on tropes, growing out of oral-formulaic composition. You can't judge it the way you would prose.

Jesus christ this pasta is stale as hell

*rely

any video links I can watch of Aristophanes?

It's memetics dumbfuck. They are there to help the storyteller recall the whole poem.

Positively absurd.

Where does he say this?

In the dark confines of one of his many tomes.

Human All Too Human, wanderer and his shadow §122
lexido.com/EBOOK_TEXTS/THE_WANDERER_AND_HIS_SHADOW_.aspx?S=122

>The Artistic Convention. Three fourths of Homer is convention, and the same is the case with all the Greek artists, who had no reason for falling into the modern craze for originality. They had no fear of convention, for after all convention was a link between them and their public. Conventions are the artistic means acquired for the understanding of the hearer; the common speech, learnt with much toil, whereby the artist can really communicate his ideas. All the more when he wishes, like the Greek poets and musicians, to conquer at once with each of his works (since he is accustomed to compete publicly with one or two rivals), the first condition is that he must be understood at once, and this is only possible by means of convention. What the artist devises beyond convention he offers of his own free will and takes a risk, his success at best resulting in the setting up of a new convention. As a rule originality is marvelled at, sometimes even worshipped, but seldom understood. A stubborn avoidance of convention means a desire not to be understood. What, then, is the object of the modern craze for originality?

How does it compare to Ovid's Aeneid? I never read Homer's.

How does it feel to always bait with pasta old like homer?

I was disappointed as fuck with the Odyssey t.b.h. All of the interesting bits are dealt with in a desultory fashion, and instead the author chooses to focus on dull conversations and tedious catalogues of treasure. It does liven up for the ending though, if you get that far.

But don't take my word for it, read TE Lawrence's foreword to his own translation. He refused to believe that the same author could have written the Iliad. Even Chapman's considerable powers couldn't compensate for the basic flaws in the narrative, a fact which speaks volumes ...

>cliches and dead metaphors
>8th century BC

>swift footed Achilles
>horse taming Hector

just STOP

They pale in comparison to the modern epic Game of Thrones (Television storyline I didnt read the books so idk if they are good)

>you'll never read the Epic Cycle

I wanna die.

Lazy bait.

I'm being genuine, I never read Homer. Only Ovid.

It's a kind of sophisticated rapping.

Ovid wrote Metamorphoses. Virgil was who the Aeneid.

>clear-headed Telemakhos
>gray-eyed Athena

>young dawn shone with her rose=red fingers
You sure you didn't read Zettels Traum?

>not Hector, breaker of horses

I see you read the shit version

Iliad is the real masterpiece, desu. I'm not convinced that the Odyssey was created by the same mind(s).

F A S T
A
S
T

S H I P S
H
I
P
S