Do you dumpsterdive

Do you dumpsterdive

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S9rwJmzVDE8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My flatmate does.

I used to do it with a friend in university in autumn, spring and winter

I found a jigsaw puzzle in a dumpster the other day. It looked pretty cool so I took it. Sadly, after I solved it, 2 pieces were missing. I guess that's why it was in the dumpster.

I'm not a starving raccoon so no.

Not for food, but i live in a college town and when the students move out there's tons of stuff thrown away that i take and sell back to them when they move back in.

Best place to dumpster dive is donut stores. Every night they throw out perfectly good 'nuts like a veterinarian on crack. They don't serve meats or anything that'll make you terribly sick and they usually just throw the donuts in a plastic garbage bag so they stay separate from the rest of the trash.
Other than that I often scavenge electronics that have lots of copper and once I found two hydros.

I'm not American, so no, I dont dig through trash bins looking for food

I'll have you know we Americans pay top dollar for our garbage.

yeah i ate at a Golden Coral once

I did it as a hobby on weekends for awhile, not out of necessity. Primarily in smaller towns with locally owned restaurants and groceries so they weren't cucked into doing the bleach drench by corporate. You'd be surprised how much edible clean food was tossed. But the real treasures were apartment complexes where people were throwing away highly pawnable shit. My greatest find was a 9mm handgun. I had a car, so I could move rapidly to lucrative spots so I don't know how it would go in a major city if you're poor as fuck. In smaller towns with a shit car you could easily survive and compared to a good portion of the world, thrive.

I'm genuinely surprised how many people throw away drugs. I don't even do drugs but still I see them pop up and I can't help but wonder who's throwing this shit away. Talk about cold turkey.

Good point. Apt. complex dumpsters often had bags of what were obviously drugs. I always figured it was a female partner or parent who found a stash and thought they'd solve the issue by dumping it, lol. I'm by no means against drugs and have done plenty, but I'm not going to use dumpster drugs. I just discarded them.

I don't blame you, you don't know where that shit's been or if it's been laced with crazy shit which would explain why it's in there to begin with.

Bump

hydros?

Most places lock up the trash bins now, so it is impossible.

To echo , I used to live in a college town and found a lot of great stuff in apartment building trash. Obviously, the best pickings were after a semester would end, especially for summer or winter and people were moving out and dumped out a lot of good stuff. Free furniture, new clothes (with tags), non-perishable foods and various appliances. On campus showing up to studios or labs meant discarded art supplies and beakers and the like.

Hydroponic marijuana
Multiple "buds" are referred to as hydros

underrated

I had a white roommate with his college being completely paid for by his parents and a full meal plan convince me about once a month while blazed out his mind that there is a reason to do it.

Cool story

ive started doing it and think it makes my shits worse. dont dumpsterdive on hot days

Not personally but I've hung around crusties to eat the occasional dumpster bagel or rice krispie treat.

Oh also I sometimes volunteer with food not bombs and we take dumpster food, cook it, and feed it to the homeless.

Why did you have to specify the race?

I went out one night a few years ago to look for anything useful or cool in dumpsters. After 2-3 hours, I found a clean stack of newspapers that I took to use at work for soaking up oil spills. Ended up going home disappointed and drank myself to sleep.

i knew a guy who did and he ate better than me
i do this aswell

My latest score was two portable radiator style electric heaters. They turned out to work perfectly. I saw a huge pile of structural steel on the curb nearby, but sadly it was gone when I drove my car back over there. Some of those scrappers are fucking fast. I have never considered eating dumpster food.

Oh, also scored some oak boards. People are nuts. This shit shouldn't be going to landfills.

Adjectives help build a story user.

Bump

Used to, but my local piggly wiggly has been putting blach, sand fleas and rats in the dumpster

Don't do this if it's krispy kreme donus.
t. former krispy kreme worker

Underrated

Y

youtube.com/watch?v=S9rwJmzVDE8

>Dumpster diving without literally being homeless
I guess its obvious from context

Old pastries get tossed in a bin in the kitchen that doesn't get washed. It is left in the bin until it's full or until the end of the day.

I used to do it for food when I was broke in my early 20's. A local bakery kept me fed with bread, bagels, and pastries. Now that I'm older, in stable employment, and drive around all night I still keep an eye out for stuff I want. My usual hauls are discarded toys, pallets, and firewood. One time I found a big box of Legos. Shit was cash.

damn thats rough, user but you're gonna make it man.

>handgun
no one just throws those away, you found a murder weapon son

Isn't that what all guns are?

I love how informative this video is.
I never knew bread could last for so long.

i love you for sharing this

Liquid soap

My mate used to raid tescos dumpsters in bristol. But he was a crack head back then. He's a drug counciller now

My mate works at a tip and he has a 400 strong dvd collection that 'you wouldn't believe what they threw away'.

No, but my roommate picks up everything from free piles.

You see the thing about dumpsters is that you have to keep trying.Kind of like a pawn shop.

I made a hot sauce out of hobo semen and monkey sweat. I called it Hobo Semen.

Is that sanitary?

No, I get SNAP

What is snap

I never dumpster dived for food but I did find a massive fan that someone threw away and I figured it would be great for helping me cool things I bake or keep cool while Bakng on a hot summer day or something, I wanted to try and fix it since most fans just get shit stuck inside and people throw them out but I can't really get it open
I guess I should ask on diy but is it salvageable, could I get someone to fix it at the hardware store?

Well most the food is taken from farmers markets, so it's all just the fruits and vegetables they didn't sell that day. Plus we wash everything. Pretty much all of what comes from dumpsters is bagels.

Seems like the point about dumpster diving is that you can learn from people's garbage
Residential garbage is a coinflip while some stores dumpsters are gold mines
I live near this massive tower where every apartment costs a fucking fortune and there are 5 dumpsters packed in the back, I have thought about giving it a try a couple times, just think about the kind of shit rich people throw away

There are Arabs here who do that full-time, always drive around in shabby vans looking for free stuff. It's funny how Arabs and Jews are so similar.

I recently put a brand new $1000 bike out for garbage. I only used it once. I put it out for the trash and some trash goblin stopped in his rusty old truck and was going to take it and i went running out and snatched it from him and told him to fuck off. B-but it was in the garbage i thought you didn't want it wahhh. Yeah i don't, but i don't want anyone else to have it either you hideous poorfag. Waited until the garbage truck came before i put it out so no one else could have it.

Fuck you. I bought it. If i want it at the bottom of a landfill rather than someone else getting that's my choice.

how to get parasites 101

Food stamps

Used to do this all the time back in Norway. Supermarkets just have their dumpsters out in the open, and throw away perfectly good food. Sometimes I'd find ~40 bars of chocolate or similarly expensive stuff. There was always bread and vegetables, and in winter it was perfectly possible to take meet because it was so cold outside. This stuff is thrown away for literally no reason a lot of the time - I suspect that they would just dump what they hadn't sold when new stock came in. Some of it isn't even past its best by date, and even if it is, deciding whether or not to still eat it is relatively straightforward. I didn't even need to do it - I lived with my parents at the time (they were in on it). It was just about this stuff going to waste otherwise (although being for free certainly helped).
Now that I'm living in Germany, I can't really dumpsterdive because supermarkets lock up their bins. I miss it, to be honest - a big part of what made it interesting is to just see what I could find this time.

Yes, once a week.
Unlike america the trash cans where they put the food into are actually clean. It's amazing what stores throw away.

>things that never happened

I'm this guy so I can really relate to what you're talking about. It's kind of like going fishing in waters that have a wide variety of fish and you never know what's going to bite. I just stopped doing it because I got married and when I told my wife I sometimes dumpster dived she threw a piss fit so I said fuck it. I kind of miss it too.

That sounds made up, but if it isn't I guarantee you the some trash guy's kid has a new bike.

Thanks, here's a picture of it. Such a shame.

I know that ravensburger sends you missing pieces if you contact them, i don't know about other brands

if you find the other flower piece it almost feels like art

I know. I used to combine it with driving practice with my dad (you can drive with any supervisor who's had his drivers licens for five consecutive years there), driving around town on saturday night after the stores had closed. It was a small town, so you could do that in relative peace. My parents keep chickens, and had two pigs at some point... we ended up feeding the pigs instant risotto for several days because we had too much of it. Funnily enough, we'd often find the more expensive premium stuff that nobody ends up buying. Non-concentrate fruit juices, those hugely expensive packs of cookies that contain like four of the fucking things, all the hipstery yoghurt... I ended up distilling my own booze mainly because we found four kilos of sugar in ruptured bags that had started to absorb moisture. And the post holiday period after easter and christmas were particularly ridiculous, with entire dumpsters full of holiday-specific stuff thrown out when the stores closed during the holidays themselves.

Do you just leave it on that board for the rest of time? My mommy still has some harry potter puzzle I made when i was 8

It is a Regensburg, but I looked on their website and they don't send making pieces, cause they change the confession of the machines every 10,000 puzzles.
I finished it a few days ago, it's on a table I don't use that much. If I don't frame a puzzle, I usually leave it like a week to appreciate it, then take it apart. I'll probably take this apart this weekend and either throw it away or give it to the thrift shop to fuck with people.

>lying on the internet

i dont know why, but i lol'd

which college town

Trash compactors are taking over

Fixed

Based content-aware fill

You should frame it anyway, it's funnier

Yes, but not for food
My apartment is filled with random pieces of furniture I got from dumpster diving

underrated

Your dad was in on it?

THIS, found a working Xbox 360 with games my freshman year. Found a nice pair of tennis rackets last time. Easy money. It has to be at least a decent UNI tho

Go on. Who is throwing away weed at an elextronics store?

people put shit like that on the curb specifically so wetbacks and gypsies like you will scavenge them and save them a trip to the dump

People put shit there because the government hauls it off for free in many places. Some people just take advantage of it and grab it themselves.

people try and poach the local scrapyard for scrappers bringing in bikes. if your a scrapper and you sell a bike to one of these guys, then you will get banned from the scrapyard. from inside the scrapyard i watch the workers throw bikes into the giant scrappile. i once got into it with a worker for loading two bikes out of the scrappile and into my truck before they could get to it. i kept saying they were already in my truck and he knew i was full of shit, but w.e
they must go through 100 bikes a day becuase the 15 minutes i am in there, ill see like 5+ bikes get tossed

You mean to save them a trip to the bank after they sell valuable things on craigslist? I'm a white, middle-class American craftsman. I'll sell their wood back to them in the form of pens and furniture for hundreds of dollars. People are just dumb for not being able to discriminate between trash and inherently valuable building materials.

Bonus point: I can now label it as reclaimed, upcycled, etc. and the yuppies will give me even more money because I'm saving the earth and shit.

One should never dumpster dive for food. If you don't reach it before it's in the dumpster then it's already contaminated. But personally I've always wanted to try it out in case I find some beat furniture or something.

They almost universally toss it in a plastic garbage bag first, keeps it from getting contaminated hopefully.

Isnt that what all knives are?

Tjhis. Also if you dive right after closing the food has barely been there at all, and that's inside a plastic bag AND inside its packaging.
Clean the packaging before opening the food and you are pretty fucking safe. I have never gotten sick from dumpsterdiving.