Why would someone become a software engineer instead of a data scientists? It's literally double the pay

Why would someone become a software engineer instead of a data scientists? It's literally double the pay

Other urls found in this thread:

ccecc.acm.org/guidance/software-engineering/courses/
job-openings.monster.com/Entry-Level-Data-Scientist-Piscataway-NJ-US-Itlize-Global-LLC/11/192097571
Veeky
elte.hu/en/computer-science-bsc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because they brainlets

bump

Why would someone post this thread on Veeky Forums? It's literally not related to either science or mathematics

>ccecc.acm.org/guidance/software-engineering/courses/
>Year one, semester one
Computer Science I
>Year one, semester two
Computer Science II
Discrete Structures
>Year two, semester one
Computer Science III
Calculus I
>Year two, semester two
Introduction to Software Engineering

>data scientists
Any recommended books on actual shit that will get me a job? I have a strong background in maths and know my way around R/Python/Matlab/whatever. So I know measure theory/bayesian stats/etc., can do PCA analysis manually, etc., but don't know what is actually used in businesses and shit.

This is a retarded argument.
>Why would someone become a toilet cleaner instead of a CEO? Literally 1000 times the pay.

Look up entry level job postings and see what they're asking for.

>job-openings.monster.com/Entry-Level-Data-Scientist-Piscataway-NJ-US-Itlize-Global-LLC/11/192097571
>Data Science Daily Tasks:
● Entry level experience in any databases is required
● Entry level experience in SDLC.
● Entry level skills in any programming language.
● Entry level skills in any SQL.
● Good Analytical skills.
● Excellent Communication skills
● Good Attitude
● Self-Motivated & hardworking and quick learner.
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Degree in Statistics/Math is preferred.
>Requirements:
● Experience with SQL, or MySQL, PL/SQL, PostgreSQL to deliver data cleansing on large datasets
● Experience with widely used machine learning algorithms like linear and logistic regression, decision trees, SVM, KNN, k-means, random forest.
● Experience with dimensionality reduction techniques, etc.
● Experience with common data science libraries (from Python or R, like Numpy)
● Good knowledge of Linear algebra (Vector and Matrix operations)
● Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
● Data-oriented thinking
● Highly motivated to solve real-life problems
● Great communication skills
>Nice to have:
● Experience with data visualization and reporting tools, such as Plotly, D3.JS, GGplot, Tableau, Qlikview, Cognos, SSRS etc.
● Strong scripting and programming skills
● Able to work effectively in a fast-paced start-up environment

tl;dr: Read a book on databases and teach yourself a flavor of SQL.
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Databases

a book won't get you a job.

winning a competition on kaggle or having a PhD or maybe masters but you already have a kickass portfolio might get you a job.

but even that's more for machine learning than data science , which is more business based and less academic and software development-like than machine learning jobs in a tech company.

> math isn't important for programming
>t. Code monkey

Literal a lot /g/ person leave high income jobs to mathematics,physics,EE or statistics.

I never said math wasn't important to programming?

Just ask on reddit/programming,hacker news or /g/ people will tell you math isn't important or any topic above calculus or linear algebra is PhD level

because neural networks are cool af

Shit, is it really this easy?

Yea. Most fucks want you to have the bachelors tho so you gotta wad through the shit when you could be done in 2 months.

>statistics are not related to mathematics
ok

both of them are monkey-tier jobs

who the fuck writes this shit?
literally none of the things mentioned as "tasks" can be considered tasks

>monkey tier job that pays up to 300k a year

I think they meant skills and traits needed to perform daily tasks well. The Responsibilities listed above it lists the actual tasks

>Responsibilities:
● Data acquisition and integration.
● Extending data using third-party sources of information when necessary
● Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data sourced from various relational, NO-SQL databases and textual data for use in analysis
● Feature selection and engineering for use in building machine learning models.,
● Using machine learning techniques to build models for different types of analytical projects.
● Model optimization, validation, testing and deployment of machine learning models.
● Work with streaming real-time data.
● Conducting ad-hoc analysis and presenting results using visualizations in a clear and concise manner

What is a Bubble

>millennials don't remember the dot com bubble

Why do niggers on Veeky Forums only care about pay and not what they actually like?

People say math isn't important for "code monkeys", which it's not, really.

I like actually building things and don't care at all about data.

>millennials were born after the Y2K bubble and are having sex right now

>Conducting ad-hoc analysis and presenting results using visualizations in a clear and concise manner

I'm too brainlet for this atm. What's this about?

>I like actually building things and don't care at all about data.

But you get to build cool neural nets that solve cool problems :))

>I'm too brainlet for this atm. What's this about?

Make a pretty graph and tell your business major boss what he wants to hear. Don't you read Dilbert?

Ah, I've read some Dilbert, but I was pretty young. I would definitely appreciate the humor more so in the upcoming years.
I now realize that it's the project representation for actual brainlets.

>good attitude
fuck

Data Science is an incredibly broad term. In includes anyone from business analysts with excel to hardcore database engineers to theoretical statistical learning researchers.

I fucking hate it.

this
it's a buzzword

>But you get to build cool neural nets that solve cool problems :))
I don't think most data scientists actually write neural network programs, the ones I've encountered at my office just use what I would consider pre-built solutions. On the other hand I have written ANN programs (as opposed to only pulling in some library or service that provides pre-built resources) and I do software development, not data science.
Which goes back to my original reason stated for not wanting to be a "data scientist:" I like actually building things and don't care about data. The data scientists I've worked with are the exact opposite and don't care about the programming except as a means to the end of their data interests e.g. they use and prefer using proprietary software platforms that visualize their data for them.
I would really hate being stuck spending all my time having to work on data / reporting issues. Even business analysts know how to write SQL queries, I prefer working on things most other people don't know how to produce.

>don't care about the programming except as a means to the end of their data interests

Hmm, I figured data scientists were more for training/designing AI software to solve problems. What other data interests would they have that isn't really for anything interesting (ie strictly business)? Perhaps clustering for marketing strategies?

Because software engineering is fun

See

How the fuck are salaries experiencing a bubble, do you have any idea what bubbles actually are or are you just parroting some bullshit you vaguely heard about?

Why is income the only thing people care about here? I thought this was Veeky Forums not Veeky Forums

>I figured data scientists were more for training/designing AI software
I've never heard of someone with the "data scientist" title actually writing their own AI programs, unless you mean using some already built framework or library.

>this thread is about statistics

If you are too young to care about income then you are too young to be on Veeky Forums.

(((data)))

There's more to life than money.

There's a lot more to life than just money dude. Income really has no bearing on me as I basically live an ascetic lifestyle

Maybe because money is a social construct and all you brainlets are chasing nothing but idiotic abstractions that let you live a hedonistic lifestyle all while remaining a worthless dumbass no one will ever remember in 1000 years?

Do what you love, not what makes money.

>It's literally double the pay
No it's not lol. I work at a top 4 company and we get paid about the same for the same level.

what do you think data science consists of

1990 was 28 years ago.

What if you love making money?

No one loves making money, you just think you do because you haven't thought it through.

You can love business, then you can be a successful businessman. Money is just a byproduct of being useful to someone else.

When people say they love making money, they don't literally mean that the love making money. What they mean is they love getting the things that money provides, such as luxuries, freedom and power. Of course there are people that love getting money or its own sake, but that's an exception to the rule.

No? Just because you don't like making money doesn't mean every single person on the planet operates on the same mentality you do

A lot of people are driven for an easily quantifiable goal, even if, to someone else (or even the vast majority of people) it means nothing. Look at video games, especially grind-heavy ones like Runescape. Surely nobody actually enjoys spending hundreds of hours just to see numbers tick upwards with no real benefit anyone will care about, right?

The fact of the matter is that people are complicated and like different things than you do, sometimes. A lot of people think artwork is the most worthless, overrated thing on the planet, other people devote their lives to it. Some people enjoy setting tangible goals in things like fitness or finance and like working towards those goals and get a sense of achievement just by their commitment. It's not that strange.

Yeah then I'm mistaken. I guess what I'm thinking of is "AI S/W Engineer" or something

>Of course there are people that love getting money or its own sake, but that's an exception to the rule.
I spend lots of time making lots of money at my job and through my investments, both stock and crypto. I have more money than I really ever thought I'd have, yet I still take the bus to the airport instead of taking a taxi because I'm OCD about spending money. I will always willingly live poor and money for me is just like a video game trying to increase my numbers

Data scientist on wallsreet here. 99% of this work is just scrubbing data, 1% coding.

I enjoy it and yes it pays fucktons, but it's not for everyone.

Elements of Statistical Learning, then take Andrew Ngs machine learning coursera course, then do kaggle until you're hired

Data for wallstreet sounds really neat, user. What's meant by "scrubbing" data? Also what degree did you earn to get there?

Us data scientists don't write our own ANN libraries for the same reason that chemists don't blow their own lab glassware

I'm not blaming you for not writing your own programs like that, I just mentioned it to explain why I chose to work as a software developer and not a data scientist.

>● Entry level skills in any SQL.
>● Experience with SQL, or MySQL, PL/SQL, PostgreSQL to deliver data cleansing on large datasets

>● Entry level skills in any programming language.
>● Experience with widely used machine learning algorithms like linear and logistic regression, decision trees, SVM, KNN, k-means, random forest.
>● Experience with common data science libraries (from Python or R, like Numpy)

another user here, data is usually isn't readily available for immediate use because it's either dirty, in a different format and etc... so you spend a good chunk conforming it to your needs.

Holy fuck you'd be taking Calculus 1 in Year Two? Fuck that

Don't worry, OP and most other people here actually have no idea what they are talking about
I wouldn't even be surprised if most people on this board have never even seen the inside of an university and/or are repeating the same memes over and over again to convince themselves that they made the right choice doing retarded shit and how everyone in compsci/engineering is retarded and homosexual.

Data scientists just hack together shitty R and Python scripts but can never implement any production ready code

Meh, I recently just quit a machine learning job where I wrote statistical learning solutions in C (support vector machines, random forests, etc) for a fullstack webdev job. Dont get me wrong, machine learning is cool, but I don't regret my decision in the slightest.

Literally all you do as a data scientist is optimize your true positive prediction rate and minimize run-time. And the only thing you can do with statistical learners is predict stuff (you can make models blazing fast for sure with statistical learners, but that's not relevant in the age of the cloud). Thats why NNs are so hip right now. They can do more than just predict. They can style transfer, generate artificial data, do online learning, etc and that has more fun applications than predicting stock prices or object recognition.

And a lot of datascience jobs are cuck-tier. You're either wrangling databases, writing low level code that no body appreciates, or generating reports that make you feel like a paper pusher. Webdev has been so much more fun. Instant feedback to changes I make, an actual audience, lively community. Oh and I can actually apply ML AND other cool technologies to products that endusers can actually use.

Look at this European master race education, Muricafags BTFO:
elte.hu/en/computer-science-bsc
Click on structure dipshits.