Is he the greatest mathematician of the 20th century

yes or no?

Other urls found in this thread:

grothendieck.umontpellier.fr/archives-grothendieck/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He's certainly the mathematician most responsible for the current academic landscape in all areas of the field. If you equate influence with greatness, then yes.

the only other possible competitor would be Hilbert

no von neumann?

God is the greatest mathematician

true

Grothendieck was great because he had intuition and a vision for how math should be. People emulate him and think it was just about algebraic geometry or doing things categorically or whatever.

what was the reason he went into isolation and left the math community?

sorry guys, typo: I meant Godel

Poincare

He has the funkiest aesthetic, that's fo sure.

to prove an autistic point

Because the French math comunity was funded by the military

no that made him leave IHES, he stayed in uni for several years still

His handwriting though

One of the greatest of the century, definitely. He was one of the mathematicians who had the greatest influence on the shape of math as we know it today. But he was not the only one: think for example Kolmogorov, Von Neumann, Hilbert, Gödel, Erdös

Oh god, I thought it was fucking arabic (except for the first word "Soit")

Lmao same, you coudl go back to any of his notes and he still have this morse code-level shit, how does he go through his notes? I guess the text isn't as important as equations and symbols in general

grothendieck.umontpellier.fr/archives-grothendieck/

Probably he can recognize the marks he made and he made them knowing before hand that the only intended readership for the markings would be himself.

>Gödel, Erdös
Those weren't even mathematicians.

>I guess the text isn't as important as equations and symbols in general
It seems like you haven't written much mathematics.

Why do people not talk about Bill Lawvere more? Easily one of the most clever mathematicians of the 20th and definitely 21st centuries, he even visited Grothendieck when he was in isolation

How is this relevant? the thing about those notes is that they are lecture notes so he probably wrote as the lecturer was speaking. When working alone he might have had normal handwriting, who knows, I don't see why writing much is related to this as Philosophy and Literature majors write an awful lot on paper too but seem to have pretty good handwriting etc
':DDD

>How is this relevant?
You're claiming retarded things like "the text isn't as important as equations and symbols in general".

>Claiming
I think you're the retard here because apparently you can't read. I clearly said
>I guess ...
Since when the fuck is a guess a claim? It's merely what I thought, I never said it's true. Stop embarrassing yourself.

I correct homework for my uni as a part time job and in general, the ones with the highest grades are usually the ones with the shittiest handwriting, and vice versa.

How do you read the texts? it feels like that's tougher than verifying their solutions etc, atleast if they're on the level of Grothendieck

i correct 2nd year complex analysis hw lol

and i can usually infer what they're writing or the method they're using, given that i know how to solve the problem already, and given that i may correct 50+ hws in one sitting, i already know the common pitfalls and check for them

>I think you're the retard here because apparently you can't read.
You're claiming retarded things again. How can I reply to your posts without being able to read?
>It's merely what I thought
You should probably keep your thoughts to yourself if you aren't sure there is even a slight chance of them being correct. Just something for you to think about so you don't embarrass yourself in the future.
>I never said it's true
You're just pathetic at this point, give it a rest.

how do I get this job???

I'm on track for the highest grade and doing a masters, the uni offers the job to us and it's easy to get it if you're one of those two

Again, I haven't claimed shit. But you're proving yourself to be retarded cause you fail to admit you taking a guess for a claim, everyone can see it, how can you be this pathetic? Just stop talking and trying to cover up your shitty mistake with shitty baits like this and leave the thread.
Stop being retarded :D

Not even that guy but your damage control is pathetic. Every single post you made is retarded.

o fuck

>Again, I haven't claimed shit.
Again, for some people, their word matters.
>you fail to admit you taking a guess for a claim
It being a guess or a claim is hardly relevant at all. It's a retarded thing to say in public and you are a retard for doing it.
>Just stop talking and trying to cover up your shitty mistake with shitty baits like this and leave the thread.
That's taking it too far.

Nice try (You)
>It being a guess or a claim is hardly relevant at all. It's a retarded thing to say in public and you are a retard for doing it.
Lmfao you're autistic
If whether it's a guess or claim is irrelevant, why the fuck would a guess be a problem? I don't know the reason behind those notes, but all the symbols are written normally, so I'm not allowed to make a guess/assumption on why? Since it's a guess, I gladly take responsibility for it being wrong, because that's what it is, nothing more than a guess. But if it were a claim, I'd be dumb for making up facts and you would be at right with those insults, but it wasn't. So fuck is your problem? Not allowed to guess, and for some reason not in public? Do you have down's or something?
>That's taking it too far.
Lmfao, comes from the guy who calls people retarded for making a guess while being completely wrong and saying bullshit like as the guess was a claim. You're disgusting honestly, just take this gun and end yourself.

I'm done with your autism, don't you have special-ed class to attend or something? Anyway good luck baiting and covering up your shitty fault by making it sound like it's the other person's fault

>ctrl+f 57
>no results
What happened

Nice b8 m8

>If whether it's a guess or claim is irrelevant, why the fuck would a guess be a problem?
A retarded statement with no basis in reality is a problem even if it isn't a guess or a claim.
>I don't know the reason behind those notes
That's understandable. Nobody expects a lowly dog such as yourself to be able to read any of Grothendieck's work.
>I'd be dumb for making up facts
I'm glad you agree with my assessment of your condition.
>Not allowed to guess, and for some reason not in public?
It isn't about whether or not you are allowed to. It's simply in your best interest to not make it publicly known that you are a fool.

>You're disgusting honestly, just take this gun and end yourself.
What's with all the hostility? Calm down, go drink some water.
>Anyway good luck baiting and covering up your shitty fault by making it sound like it's the other person's fault
Mistakes are fine. Not acknowledging and learning from them isn't. I don't expect your kind to understand reasoning anyway, so do as you please.

Well, Foucault was a philosopher, so no.

I love Ritsu!

>Nice try (You)
No, (you).
>Lmfao
kys

read the fucking filename

That's not "morse code-level" or bad handwriting, that's just French.

Why is she so cute?

what did von neumann do?

GOATendieck

this

God is defined as the greatest everything.
Oh never mind.

I write like him and sometimes I cannot even read it back. Other people cannot read at all when I do not effort.

that one is mostly readable