Work in restaurant as a greenhorn

>work in restaurant as a greenhorn
>instructed to chop us shrooms out of the packet and then saute them
>never asked to wash them

the mushrooms looked like pic related. do i really just chop them up and cook them without washing them? or was my chef just cutting corners?

Other urls found in this thread:

rt.com/usa/402992-san-diego-hepatitis-street-washing/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

there's literal dirt on those fuckers, I assume your chef doesn't want any customers to complain about grit

It's fine if you work in an Indian restaurant.
Anywhere else, I would probably RUB THEM DOWN.

Speaking as someone who regularly processes mushrooms for a restaurant I work at, you're not exactly overthinking things.

Vermiculite is sterile dirt, and will not give anyone food poisoning, yet its texture is that of dirt. We brush it off with a towel before cutting, which suffices.

You should peel mushrooms

Why doesn't anyone ever use a can opener to clean their mushrooms?

Kek

its literally sterilized horse and cow shit though...

at home i wash the shit out of them but at work im instructed to process them straight out of the box.

Yeah, wipe them off with a clean towel. If they're ridiculously dirty put them in a strainer and spray them down in the sink for a few seconds and pat them dry on a clean towel. Remember to cut a tiny slice off and discard the base of the stem since that's where most of the dirt and bacteria live (the stem sort of wicks moisture upwards). Mushrooms are a pain in the ass, which is why you're getting this job. They don't have to be perfectly clean, since this is virtually impossible and you're cooking them at a high enough heat to kill bacteria, however you must remove the sand and mulchy growing medium since customers will find sand and wood pulp with their teeth. Oh, and try to do it fast. Welcome to kitchen life.

ok thats good to know. work makes me process them straight out of the box with no cleaning but at home that shit does not fly.

Standards get compromised when they weigh the cost of a guy wiping off mushrooms all day against the cost of occasionally sending out a fresh plate to customer who bit a couple grains of sand. Most of the time the grit that sneaks past you can be panned out of the sauté pan in the liquid after cooking them, kinda like panning for gold. Having you ignore the big chunks of dirt is an out of sight, out of mind sort of deal. Lol.

This. The medium on which mushrooms are grown is not dirt. There's no grit in it, and it's sterile. There's no need to wash or rub mushrooms unless they're foraged.

Can I ask you something? Do you wipe off your mushrooms at home?

>at home i wash the shit out of them
are you supposed to do this to mushrooms Veeky Forums?

that dark shit is literally sterilized cow shit thoug

i do it just because ive seen a documentary on how mushrooms are grown and its pretty much sterilized shit.

Not commercially grown ones that come in plastic. If the bottom of an individual mushroom is covered in the black medium I'll cut that part off. But little flecks here and there? Not an issue.

>sitting in shared dorm kitchen
>someone starts bragging about his cooking experience
>he's cooking eggs
>interrupts a girl cleaning mushrooms to tell her she's removing the mushroom flavor

Nothing wrong with sterilized cowshit. It won't fuck you up in any way, nor will it effect the flavor or texture of the dish you're making. May as well be nothing, unless the IDEA of it bothers you.

Do mushrooms grown on different mediums taste different? It seems like there would be a big market for, like, steak-fed mushrooms

If all you ever get is little flecks here and there the mushroom gods must smile upon you.

Or maybe I just don't give a fuck about any bits of medium a knife or finger can't quickly remove.

Never wash mushrooms. the water can actually damage them and make them mushy in the time it takes to wash enough for your dish. You DEFINITELY should not "rub them down" as this can bruise the flesh of the fungus and cause it to begin disintegrating.

Instead you should use a soft bristled brush (shaving brushes are excellent, though short-handled basting brushes work as well) to brush the matrix (the material the mushrooms are grown in, usually a blend of pasteurized straw, manure, grains, vermiculite and pearlite, though certain mushies are grown in hardwood sawdust or on hardwood logs) off the fruiting bodies. The matirx is sterile and nothing in it can harm you, tough it can make a dish taste off and can sometimes add a "gritty" texture to food.

I'm gonna assume you're not a fan of anal then?

Different mushrooms eat differnt things. Some eat only manure, others only straw or grain. Miyataki and Shitaki eat only hardwood. Black truffles are ONLY found in the root soil of oak trees that are at least a decade old.

Oh dear, yet another cooking myth from medieval times that wont die. Going to put your steak on high heat to "seal in the flavour", Gordon?

>Black truffles are ONLY found in the root soil of oak trees that are at least a decade old.
Utter horseshit. Go back to your YouTube thread, retard.

I was all always thought not to wash shrooms but to peel them, at least the dirt parts.. sterilized or not, it's still horse shit, I'm not eating that....

>Going to put your steak on high heat
Of course

>>to "seal in the flavour", Gordon?
A classic case of being right but for the wrong reasons. It's all about dat malliard, not "sealing"

lel

>it's ok to eat cowshit, it's normal and healthy
Indian detected. Go poo on a designated shitting street, Pajeet.

>dat malliard
step aside, superior mandarin duck coming through!

>durr hurr myths
>doesn't even understand what the fucking maillard reaction is
What's with the influx of contrarian shitposters lately? Did /v/ leak into Veeky Forums or what?

Are you confusing Malliard with Mallard?

>designated shitting street
Good to see the USA gaining parity with India.
rt.com/usa/402992-san-diego-hepatitis-street-washing/
>Sanitary street washing will begin in San Diego where a “fecally contaminated environment” has led to an outbreak of hepatitis A that has killed 15 people and hospitalized 300 others.

this