What the fuck is craft beer and why does every hipster joint advertise it all of a sudden

what the fuck is craft beer and why does every hipster joint advertise it all of a sudden

it's any beer that's $12+ a bottle in the liquor store, has an art school undergrad illustration on the label complete with a pun for the name, and doesn't even have the decency to come pre-chilled

>what the fuck is craft beer
Craft beer is good beer made with love in small or medium sized batches, as opposed to mass-produced pisswater.
A craft brewery prides itself on developing good flavor rather than maximum profit margins.

>why does every hipster joint advertise it all of a sudden
Friend it's been a thing since the 1970s, are you sure you're not just a flyover?

Craft beer just means good beer as opposed to watery lager
Also do you live in 2003?

>and doesn't even have the decency to come pre-chilled
Do you live in Mexico or something?

It's just beer

Here comes the fuckin craft beer defense force. Fuck off hipsters.

sorry that I like to drink good things and am not a fucking redneck with a rather strange position given the year.
Seriously, who the fuck is unaware of craft beer in 2017, this can't be an actual thing

most of the fridge space of any liquor store will be taken up by brand names both local and import
most craft beer sits on the shelf

I mean it is certainty not uncommon for some of the good beer to be on unrefrigerated shelves, in any civilized part of America (IE not Alabama or Mississippi) a good portion of the craft beer will be cooled. Most decent stores offer more cold space to craft beer than to shit beer or at least about the same amount of cold space. If you live in America, you definitely have some pretty fucking good beer available cold

>If you live in America, you definitely have some pretty fucking good beer available cold
that's true, i live in ny and there's no shortage of variety
but the craft beer they put in the fridge is almost always the popular stuff in the same price range as the brand name beers anyway
i was mostly complaining about the single bottles out on the shelf that have a picture of a poorly drawn green elephant or some shit and cost as much as a 6 pack of anything in the cooler

So, cherry-picking.

I think this guy has been shitposting all night. Pizza restaraunt startup thread, how do cooking? thread, "Inked kitchen and waistaff are subhuman trash and must never touch my food" n the Webm thread.

There can't be THIS many autstic trolls out there. It must be the work of one super-troll with an autism level of...
>checks scouter
OVER 9000!?!?!?!?

>Hipsters
>Does not realize that hipsters drink shit-tier lagers like PBR, Schlitz and Hamms because no one else does, thus making it ironic to "enjoy" (as though anyone, including blackout-drunk tundraniggers actually ENJOY drinking that shit)

it's not cherry picking when the majority of craft beer available is the type i'm complaining about
that's the opposite of cherry picking actually

Have you actually tried drinking any of this beer you complain about?

Also, you're full of shit. 90% of craft beer is available in 2 packs, not just 22oz bottles. The 22 oz bottled stuff is meant to be used in place of wine (i.e. 3 or 4 people sharing a bottle or two with dinner).

>6 packs

If you're charging MORE for the beer than the major companies, which all craft beers are, you're actually doing the complete opposite. Especially considering half of them pride themselves on recycled bottles, truly hipsters are the worst.

>somehow I believe mass produced beer is imbibed less than barely made at all beer

The. Fucking. Worst.

Craft beer isn't considered hipster at all except in bumfuck backwaters. A microbrewery will have every imaginable age group from fossilized boomers to 21 year olds who recently completed potty training.

>craft beer
It's essentially what Americans call Real Ale. About 3 years ago someone actually got a passport and realised what real beer tastes like. It's been popular ever since.

but craft beer was popularized in Flyover. California and New York are still quite a bit behind the Northwest, Colorado and the Midwest

um, most of the good brewers in the UK are straight up copying the American craft beer model. Certainly not the other way around

It's real ale at the end of day, just as people were drinking for hundreds of years before the USA was even founded.
IPA, so beloved of the Reddit moustache wax crowd was invented by bongs.

Sure, craft beer falls under the umbrella of 'real ale', but it is so much more than what the UK was referring to as 'real ale'. Real ale was just beer that wasn't complete shit, most of it was still just watery, under hopped bitter, but America took it way further and started making straight up excellent beer all over the place of all sorts of great styles.
Which in the last 5 years or so the UK is really starting to pick up on, you guys have realized that there is so much more out there. I'm sure it will spread to the rest of Europe too soon

>A craft brewery prides itself on developing good flavor rather than maximum profit margins.
craft breweries want huge profits just as much as inbev. most craft breweries just throw as much shit against the wall as possible hoping some of it will stick.

some of the largest (and most popular) craft breweries are from the northeast and california.

>I'm sure it will spread to the rest of Europe too soon
We already have real beer, thanks. 'Craft' beer is just an synonym for 'not standard American piss water'

>some of the largest (and most popular) craft breweries are from the northeast and california.
true, but that doesn't make my statement less so. Also, please do not attribute the success or rural New England breweries to New York City. You sure as fuck are flying over Vermont

Good beer is super hard to find in most of Europe. Outside the UK and Scandinavia, you have to just hope to find some Belgian stuff

Just because the piss you drink is slightly less terrible than Bud Light doesn't make it good beer

Craft breweries make money by making good shit that people like. Macro brewers make money by making cheap shit, reducing the hops, increasing the water, using corn or rice instead of some of the malt, and marketing the shit out of it

>80% of a store is unchilled
>claims most product must be chilled

Ck is just filled with sense today

>no passport: the post.

>90% of beer is in two packs
Just reading your shit makes me wish I could get your double vision

% of a store is unchilled
where did you get this from? What are you even talking about?

Real ale/cask ale has a lot of requirements that American craft beers don't meet, such as that it can't be kegged with CO2.
I mean, most of the bars I went to in Europe (I lived in Wales for a year) still had Stella/Peroni/Grolsch on draft and as the default option. Europe's a pretty diverse place, though, and it's probably a class/income thing more than a cultural thing, although Ireland, GB, and Germany/Belgium presumably have a stronger beer culture.

I've fucking been to Europe, and I specifically tried to have as many different local beers as possible. In England finding good beer was possible, though it was way more expensive than I am used to, and the selection available on tap was usually supper small (but I will blame this on the tiny buildings and likely lack of space for housing many kegs of good beer). Ireland was ok, some decent stuff, but definitely a few years behind England, luckily for them their shit beer is way better than most everyone else's shit beer
Going to the continent things went way downhill, you pretty much needed to go Belgian if you wanted good stuff, and that wasn't even that easy most of the time. It is certainly nice that the continental shit beer is better than Bud Light, but it is still pretty mediocre, and so absurdly homogeneous. I am used to being able to go to some random ass bar or restaurant and have at least a handful of craft beer styles available, but you really better like mild, watery lagers if you are in central Europe
I haven't been there yet, but I have heard good beer is a little easier to find in Scandinavia (though extremely expensive), so I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, plus I have tried a bunch of Mikkeler stuff

>all of a sudden
what rock have you been living under?

Hipster shit that costs $16 for a 4 pack which pisses me the fuck off because it tastes 1000x better than shit like bud, Miller, Coors etc. but it's so damn expensive

>cask ale

It exists at a few microbreweries where they hand pull cask carbonated ales. But you're right, there aren't many and I really wish more emphasis was put on that in the US.

>. most craft breweries just throw as much shit against the wall as possible
You've confused craft brewery with microbrewery.

A craft brewery is a microbrewery of a sort, but not all microbreweries are craft brew.